Skip to content

PNL being wound up again

Not by the HRMC this time, but by there kind Uncle Firoz.

Oxford United hit by winding-up petition from landlords Firoka https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfordunited/usnews/17441267.oxford-united-hit-by-winding-up-petition-from-landlords-firoka/?ref=twtrec

Comments

• Interesting "new good relationship" that

• I've said it before, but in the long term the PNL look like they're rapidly heading up shit creek without a paddle.

In the not too distant future they will be turfed out of that ground (or perhaps even leave it willingly) despite not having a viable alternative.

They talk of playing in Bicester like it would be an improvement, that is how bad things have got at the Kassam.

• It’s a good job Kassam was unable to get the old ground rezoned because that’s impossible. They can move back into their old ground.

• What happened to the Headington ground? Has it been built on, or is it a wasteland?

• It must still be a football ground because getting planning permission would be impossible.

• In the short-term a groundshare at Adams Park would help both parties if Oxford United are evicted from the Kassam Stadium. It would also give WWFC some much needed additional revenue (as opposed to egg-chasers).

• Headington Utd is now a private hospital

• @A_Worboys said:
    In the short-term a groundshare at Adams Park would help both parties if Oxford United are evicted from the Kassam Stadium. It would also give WWFC some much needed additional revenue (as opposed to egg-chasers).

That would be difficult to stomach having the arrogant delusional PNL fans in our Cathedral every two weeks.
    Not sure that would be able to cough up much either.

• We could charge a fraction of what Kassam charges them and still make a big profit from them. Where else can they go? Cheltenham and Northampton are too far and they'd never go, or be allowed to go, to Swindon

• Ground share with pnl ? are you bonkers. Let them play at Didcot town its what Robert Maxwell would have wanted

• Since they opened up the old train line again between Wycombe and Oxford it is a genuinely viable solution.

They're always very keen to declare our set up 'non-league' whenever we play them, despite, lets we forget, them having a fucking fence at one end of their ground.

So I don't think either party would be very keen for anything other than financial reasons.

• Seriously though, if that was a viable option if they were evicted from the KS we must look at it. WWFC needs 101 ideas to bring additional revenue in. We need to stem the losses and give GA additional funds to strengthen the team and push on for a play-off place. Wouldn’t it be ironic if the extra funding that got us into the play-offs came from just down the M40?!!!!!

• They can have the upper car park for a fee

• Marginally bigger slope than Loakes.

• Seems that not only have they been issued said winding up order, but are also imploding if this is anything to go by - it's quite some statement...

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2019/february/peterborough-reaction/

• I’m afraid that link doesn’t work for me. Just takes me to Peterborough crowd safety officer resignation, Oxford U18s loss to Northampton and Us need to get points on the road. No implosion. Disappointing.

• Really can't see Kassam sending them bust. Whats the point? Who else would pay them anything to rent it? Apart from the odd function and maybe a lower division rugby club, what else is the use of the pitch? I can only imagine that with simply a fence at one end, a rugby club would have to employ someone to collect the balls from the car park during the game, plus a lawyer on a retention basis, to deal with all the "damage claims" for dents to cars. :-)

• I think Kassam knows he can make a lot more money building houses on that plot of land (assuming he can get the planning permission of course!).

Its a bit of a no-lose for him really - either he gets more money from the football club, or a hefty payday from a new housing estate).

• The Oxford "ultras"

One of the most tragic things I've ever heard of

• Just to check. I’m okay to feel sorry for Blackpool fans and the mess their owners have got them in and I’m okay to take great delight at Oxford fans and the mess their owners have got them in?

Or am I just a bad, insensitive, hypocritical person?

• If the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, then Oxford are certifiable. Maxwell, Kassam, Tiger... Which rich saviour will they plump for next time?

• Im sure the bill will be paid and Kassam will fuck off again as quick as he appeared.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    If the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, then Oxford are certifiable. Maxwell, Kassam, Tiger... Which rich saviour will they plump for next time?

Opting for someone offering you money when you are bankrupt isn't exactly total madness, they're ripping all the money they can out of owners and then its on to the next one when they go bust, Unfortunately its the model for probably 90% of football clubs and always has been. They've probably got just enough support and reputation to have someone interested. Bit more difficult when you don't own the ground though, and when its so clearly failed before.

• @EwanHoosaami , your post made me think back to the dreadful Wasps era.

Our stands aren't that tall, so surely any conversions would have ended up outside the ground even with a stand in place?

• @micra said:
    I’m afraid that link doesn’t work for me. Just takes me to Peterborough crowd safety officer resignation, Oxford U18s loss to Northampton and Us need to get points on the road. No implosion. Disappointing.

@micra, it's just the way it is initially presented that creates confusion, as it is about the Oxford Crowd Control Officer (not Peterborough) and is a shocking story of how social media can spiral out of control. I actually feel rather sad for them as I personally think we need local opposition and have no real wish to see them displaced.

• I actually feel rather sad for them as I personally think we need local opposition and have no real wish to see them displaced.

Absolutely. I would never seriously wish serious financial harm or otherwise on oxford or any other team aside from MK Dons.

• @Last_Quarter said:
    I think Kassam knows he can make a lot more money building houses on that plot of land (assuming he can get the planning permission of course!).

Its a bit of a no-lose for him really - either he gets more money from the football club, or a hefty payday from a new housing estate).

Perhaps Kassam is already seeking advice from Dev on the planning permission issue!

• And in fairness, where Oxford's old ground was, was surely never green belt.

Oxford playing at our ground would be an interesting one. Certainly better than Wasps, but I'm sure many wouldn't be pleased to say the least.

Would the BFP be quite as loathesome in their favouritism of coverage like they were towards Wasps though?

• It was never greenbelt, no, but it didn't have planning permission when Kassam sold it to himself for £6m. Then when it did get planning permission a short time later (amazing how easy it is to push through when you're just letting a vacant site rot), he sold the land for £12m.

He then pulled a similar trick with the new stadium...

But perhaps Kassam's best move was when it came to dealing with the council on the half-built stadium. This was land the council had said was for low-intensity development but, faced with an unfinished stadium and fan pressure, the council did a deal with Kassam. He could have commercial leisure development provided he completed the stadium. Kassam seized this opportunity.

Except obviously none of this ever happened because it's impossible.

• Added to this, he apparently now has residential planning permission on the Kassam ground, meaning it's been rezoned twice. Funny that.