Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

Comments

• @bookertease said:
    Most of them were good, firm tackles where we won the ball. Trouble is that the foot was raised in the tackle but it looked to be in a controlled way.

>
    I do miss Ron Manager...

• At the time I didn’t know what the sending off was for (and given the rest of the referee’s performance I had my doubts) but that really is one of the most idiotic sendings off I’ve seen. What was El-Abd thinking of?

• @fame_46 said:
    Fred’s a massive miss. I think he might be back in the summer though....

I thought we were going down to the National League South next season!

• Just back. Very frustrating match.
    The referee. Terrible.
    Our almost complete lack of attacking creativity in the first half
    Allsop's kicking (offset by his excellent saves to be fair)
    PCH offsides
    PCH as a 10 and Luke on the right when he and Jason have been so effective on that side lately
    Samuel on the right and PCH taken off
    Samuel

Then I look at the league table and we'd all have bought this at the start of the season.

Looking forward to being back at AP next Saturday

• Can only assume El Abd has a major American sports event that he wants to be at next week.

• Also...top scorers in the division from corners so we muck about with them.
    And finally their second goal from our rubbish quick throw in
    And very finally my new car is much less comfortable than my old one for long drives.

That is it!

• Since when has pulling hair (idiotic as it was) been a straight red? Capped off a truly embarrassing performance from the referee.

• @YorkExile said:
    Since when has pulling hair (idiotic as it was) been a straight red? Capped off a truly embarrassing performance from the referee.

Having seen the highlights, I'd say El Abd has no complaints. Daft action on his part.

• when Ellison pulled Bean’s hair we were all up in arms, absolute stupidity from El Abd

• I’ve not seen the sending off but Maybe law 12 covers it -
    a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct.

It’s funny how we have so many crap refs on the games we lose!

• El Abd can't complain. Although the initial challenge was very poor and perhaps warranted more than a yellow

• @drcongo said:
    Can only assume El Abd has a major American sports event that he wants to be at next week.

Lmao

• Maybe Adam was attempting to curry favour with the Americans. Pulling your opponents hair is a bread and butter move for a high school sports flick

• Like I said, it was a foolish thing to do. But it’s not a straight red. There was no “strike” to the “head or face” @Doob. The use of the word “strike” in that law is fundamental. And yes, the ref was truly abysmal. What did you make of him? Funnily enough, we have bad refs in games we win too, but conversation rarely focuses on them.

I don’t think people were calling for a red card after the incident you recall @rmjlondon, just adding it to the list of reasons to dislike Kevin Ellison intensely.

Add throw-ins to the list @EssexWanderer. The number of times we could have taken a quick one and kept momentum but instead trotted into position and gave the ball back to Barnsley was beyond belief.

• Pulling someone's hair is a season ban for me

• If the good people of Barnsley had anything about them...over the past...'Walk like an Egyptian'

• We played better once Akinfenwa and Kashket came on with Akinfenwa making life difficult and Kashket winning the penalty. But why doesn't Ainsworth put Akinfenwa and Kashket up top for once? That would be interesting to see.

I feel a 3 match ban is harsh for El-Abd. It's wrong for him to do that but I feel a 1 match ban is more fair. But why is it 'violent conduct'?

Gillingham next week now. Let's try to get back on track after a winless run of four games. Question is how do we stop Eaves?

• if you pull somebodys hair that is violent conduct, Adam could cost us a lot of points due to the 3 match ban he will certainly face.

• @YorkExile said:
    Like I said, it was a foolish thing to do. But it’s not a straight red. There was no “strike” to the “head or face” @Doob. The use of the word “strike” in that law is fundamental. And yes, the ref was truly abysmal. What did you make of him? Funnily enough, we have bad refs in games we win too, but conversation rarely focuses on them.

I don’t think people were calling for a red card after the incident you recall @rmjlondon, just adding it to the list of reasons to dislike Kevin Ellison intensely.

Add throw-ins to the list @EssexWanderer. The number of times we could have taken a quick one and kept momentum but instead trotted into position and gave the ball back to Barnsley was beyond belief.

Indeed. But they need to be part of the gameplan. The one time we tried one spontaneously yesterday the ball was in our net within five seconds

• Samuel's reaction, in jumping straight back up as if the tackle meant nothing, is much to his credit. However, I can think of a number of opposition players who might still be rolling around on the ground now if they'd been tackled like that.
    I really can't see any reason for El-Abd to do what he did though, GA must have been pulling his hair out at that.

• I’m quite looking forward to seeing Sido and Anthony Stewart play together.

El Abd’s not getting any younger, so for me it’s our centre half pairing of the future, and something we may see a lot of next season.

• Lol at @Twizz’s last sentence - nice one!

I think he didn’t much care for the gobby twat “literally” getting in Gape’s face. However, presumably Gape sledged McGeehan in some way for him to suddenly turn 180 degrees and directly confront him in such a prevocative way, and in any case, pulling his hair is not the answer.

• That's it Richie one of the players of the team you support will cost us dearly. Well probably get relegated now. Nice to see you out again. We've missed your positivity about the place.

• Have to agree that El-Abd was daft getting a red, now that I have seen the highlights. If he is going to get a three game ban, at least lay a proper one on him, same game ban time but a lot more satisfying!

• I hope we don't appeal the red card as he was a feckin' idiot for pulling the players hair,i remember 2 Morecambe players getting sent off for doing the same to Bean a few seasons ago.

• I’m amazed people on here are trying to defend El Abd and say it wasn’t a red. I didn’t see anyone saying Ellison shouldn’t have been sent off at the time.

• edited February 2019

He wasn't, as it occurred after the game and I don't think the officials saw, but he and the other guilty party did get retrospective suspensions.

• Its a red and he will get 3 matches one thing the referee got right !!!

• The elephant in the room is that Stewart is better. 'elephant noise'