Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

Comments

• Interesting (perhaps!) that we could have the same lineup this afternoon as for the home fixture apart from Randell (the goalscorer) and Fred (the tormentor). PCH and Nick Freeman would be very able replacements.

At Adams Park Barnsley played 3-4-3 and we lined up 4-4-2 with Tyson and Samuel up front.

This could be a close encounter. Of what kind I’ll leave others to suggest!

• Be sensible micra. If Bayo is fit then Tyson takes the Randell Williams slot and Nick loses out. Samuel or Kashket to start alongside Bayo?

• We’ll know in a few minutes.

• Looks like 4-4-2 with PCH as the second striker, very nice

• Is there any way of listening to the MW 630 feed online?

• Has Owens replaced Akinfenwa on bench or vice versa?

• @micra, that's weird, I could have sworn i'd checked and both were on the bench. But now it's Tyson now Owens.

• Yeah, saw Twitter had Owens in but, as you say, for Tyson not Akinfenwa.

• Aren’t matches supposed to kick off at 3pm?

The teams only walked out at three o’clock and there’s also a minutes applause for Gordon Banks.

Doesn’t the ref know that we’re the last match to finish week after week as it is, we could be here all night.

• No doubt some bitter fans of other teams will claim the finish is down to our dark arts

• 1-0 down , penalty.

• Luke Bolton was 19 in October @bluntphil .

• 1 - 0 dodgy penalty. Some positives

• A straight red for El Abd - is that a 3 match ban?

• @raglan sounds like it was officially for violent conduct (although actually for hair-ruffling going by the commentary) which would constitute 3 games. I'm sure we'll appeal it if it was as soft as it sounds though

• Yep.
    Sounds like some sort of scuffle after that Lord Fauntelroy type chap punted Samuel.

A fair few bookings for our chaps 83mins on...Not ideal.

• edited February 2019

@raglan said:
    A straight red for El Abd - is that a 3 match ban?

Yep. Clearly "hair ruffling" must have been sneaked in by FIFA last summer under the category of "violent conduct?"

• Imagine so. Was it really as ill disciplined as it looked on Twitter!? Struggling for goals at the moment .... still can’t quite fathom letting CMS go.

• Sadly to say, I think the ref was right, El Abd pulled a Barnsley player by the hair. You don’t to that, especially if you are the captain

• It’s only violent conduct if the person ruffled is sporting a toupee or blonde wig.
    Was the ruffled Player Cameron McGeehan, the guy whose foot Matt Ingram stood on in a melee at a corner in a game at Luton?

• Should have given the clown a punch rather than gently tweaking his hair. Same outcome - a damaging 3 match ban.

Though Stewart will get a run at last.

• And maybe a route back into the squad for Harriman?

• Very odd game. Started both halves very well and were getting behind them wide on the right very well. Momentum stalled by the penalty and Luke’s injury but Barnsley did look useful going forwards. Both penalties were soft to say the least but there should have been a penalty to them minutes after their first.

Positives: good performances from Allsop, JJ (after a slow start), Gape and Thompson and especially McCarthy. Luke starting to look useful at times too.

Negatives: we didnt really have a goal threat until Bayo and Kashket came on. Our corner routines need a bit more work. Our throw ins are awful. I am struggling to recall a single one where we retained possession after the initial touch.

Think the referee got all penalty decisions wrong. Can’t comment on the sending off as I saw nothing and no Barnsley player seemed too upset by anything that was going on.

Can’t make my mind up about the bookings. Most of them were good, firm tackles where we won the ball. Trouble is that the foot was raised in the tackle but it looked to be in a controlled way. The McCarthy one late on not that many years ago would have been a very good and legal tackle and despite the refs previous this afternoon I was still shocked enough to jump out of my seat by both the foul against and the booking.

• CMS scored for Notts County today. Mind, I think losing Fred has been more significant.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Someone posted their pen on FB, and from the angle, it looks like Bolton has clattered their guy in a ludicrously naïve style.

I dare say the other angle might give a different view though.
    But it's a lesson for him, you don't storm into such challenges in your own box.