Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Bryn Morris concedes a penalty. 3-2 to Pompey - all to play for.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Bryn Morris just scored for Pompey at Southend

and he has now given away a penalty from which Southend get it back to 2-3

• 3-3 now. Pompey and Sunderland both seem determined to blow it this season.

• @micra said:
    Must be the good coaching.

pure wordplay genius.

• Oh do stop it @Malone ! (Said in Brian Johnson tones with background giggles.)

• Not strictly an ex player (yet) but CMS scored the winner for Notts County today.

• Luke O’Nien was fouled in the box twice last night to earn Sunderland a penalty each time from which they scored in their 4-2 win over Gillingham

• Spoke to a Gillingham friend yesterday. They have central defensive problems currently. Their skipper, Gabriel Zakuani, is injured and Connor Ogilvie, on loan from Tottenham, has switched from left back to the centre. A figure familiar to Wycombe fans is redoubtable right back, Barry Fuller, who (at 34) has played well over 400 games for Stevenage, Barnet, Wimbledon and Gillingham. A true lower league journeyman.

Gillingham seem to be one of the least predictable sides in League 1 and, in Tom Eaves (6’5”, I am 100%, incontrovertibly informed!) they have a formidable striker. Looks like there will be goals on Saturday.

• One of the games you'd like to think would be slightly 'easier' having played the top two. Fingers crossed they have an inconsistent day and we start scoring goals again!

• @micra said:
    Spoke to a Gillingham friend yesterday. They have central defensive problems currently. Their skipper, Gabriel Zakuani, is injured and Connor Ogilvie, on loan from Tottenham, has switched from left back to the centre. A figure familiar to Wycombe fans is redoubtable right back, Barry Fuller, who (at 34) has played well over 400 games for Stevenage, Barnet, Wimbledon and Gillingham. A true lower league journeyman.

Gillingham seem to be one of the least predictable sides in League 1 and, in Tom Eaves (6’5”, I am 100%, incontrovertibly informed!) they have a formidable striker. Looks like there will be goals on Saturday.

NO EX-PLAYERS, CANNOT COMPUTE.

• Computer may say “no” but, although I hesitated to put my post on this thread, my justification is that I was building on @AlanCecil’s post in the sense that I see potential defensive frailty which, at our best and with the deadly duo involved, we might be able to exploit. Bayo doesn’t win penalties - when he’s fouled in the box most referees give the opposition a free kick - but the quick feet and trickery of Kashket could be a different story.

• @micra said:
    Spoke to a Gillingham friend yesterday. They have central defensive problems currently. Their skipper, Gabriel Zakuani, is injured and Connor Ogilvie, on loan from Tottenham, has switched from left back to the centre. A figure familiar to Wycombe fans is redoubtable right back, Barry Fuller, who (at 34) has played well over 400 games for Stevenage, Barnet, Wimbledon and Gillingham. A true lower league journeyman.

Tom Eaves is actually 6'3"

• If you say so @thedieharder. I prefer to trust the word of a Gillingham season ticket holder. Whatever (he said sulkily) he’s a big challenging unit.

• Sweet Luke O’Nien with the opening goal against Brizzle today.

• Has this thread been relegated?

• Aah, that’s got it back to its rightful place.
    Apologies to anyone expecting definitive news.

• This thread is hurtling towards extinction.
    Liven up all you former players.
    How about Will de Havilland and crew putting one over on Solihull Moors? Live on BT Sport later this afternoon.

• Just for you @micra, former loanee James Ferry has scored for Halifax at Eastleigh. Strictly shouldn’t be in the thread as he didn’t make an appearance for us though.

• I recall the lad as he came to meet the fans in the Woodland. As I recall, he came to us from Brentford together with another loan player. Very pleasant young man. Just turned 18 at the time. Now 21 and 6’2.

• Unfortunate name for Maidstone No 14 - Amaluzor. Haven’t noticed Will despite Maidstone being under extreme pressure.

• A former Wycombe player is managing Maidstone - Hakan Hayrettin.

A quirk of Solihull’s piecemeal ground improvements is that the stand behind the right-hand goal used to belong to Maidstone; when they built a new stand, Solihull bought the old one.

• Yes, a substantially more rotund figure than back in the day when he scored that screamer on Preston North End’s plastic pitch.

Interesting snippet of information about the purchase of a stand from the Stones. I’d not heard that before.

• Luke does seem to be settling well at Sunderland, think they could tell what sort of character he was but now he's playing well regularly and they are winning every week. Some of the comments on his twitter messages are brilliant, good lad, now someone tell Spurs he's a bargain at £15m

• Let’s hope the scouts are on to him.

• I thought they were drawing quite a bit?

• Arguably one of Wanderers finest left back Gary Hand, is also in a Band.
    So we Have Gareth,Gary Hand,Billy and the bonqas, just need an ex player who can drum now !!

https://www.facebook.com/robinhoodpubstalban/photos/gm.1089773774499376/1732811846748139/?type=3

• Wasn't Gavin Holligan a decent musician as well?

• And Dion Dublin can be the drummer!