Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @Malone said:
    Don't remember Josh Parker at all.
    I'm more intrigued by @Fit2drop's post.

For one thing I'd for some reason thought he was part of that initiative that saw some older gentlemen go on the pitch/look after their health thing a while back.

When instead, he must be pretty young and have played/play at a decent level?!

I have never been involved in the older gentleman thing.

• @Malone said:
    Took a trudge through here https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/wycombe-wanderers/10/

but Richard Logan. That's the fella.

Comedy update on wiki...

Since retiring, Logan has ventured into the confectionary world. Making small deliveries of 1p and 2p sweets to customers in his local area. Logan has expressed his desire to expand his business in the future. That was until he got caught by trading standards for selling multipack bars or chocolate.

Thanks for the welcome laugh after today. Prize for the most bizarre Gasroom topic this month.

• @Malone said:
    Took a trudge through here https://www.worldfootball.net/teams/wycombe-wanderers/10/

but Richard Logan. That's the fella.

Comedy update on wiki...

Since retiring, Logan has ventured into the confectionary world. Making small deliveries of 1p and 2p sweets to customers in his local area. Logan has expressed his desire to expand his business in the future. That was until he got caught by trading standards for selling multipack bars or chocolate.

Always tends to lead to here, impressive clubs to goals ratio

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Banton

• @Malone said:
    Bizarre.
    Who was that "target man" striker who looked a little similar (ish), that came in, and was so average that he ended about 6th choice and barely got a look in? Last decade. Can't remember which manager.
    If that isn't a shockingly weak description?

Richard Logan!

If I remember rightly, he scored the (obviously chalked-off) goal against Bristol Rovers in the infamous Lightning match.

When Gareth took over as manager, one of his first acts was to release Mr Logan because he didn't fit his idea of an 'all-action' striker.

That's how I remember it anyway.

• Not even ‘some-action’.

• 1 September 2012, 1-0 defeat at Southend, Logan and Dennis Oli started up front and I remember thinking at half-time, that was the weakest front line I have seen for a long time, possibly ever. Thankfully Jo Kuffour, on his debut, replaced Logan at HT and livened things up a bit. Ainsworth replaced Oli with 20 minutes to go.

I can't decide who was more immobile, Logan or Aylott. Probably the latter, if only because he prompted St Martin to shout to him, possibly at Stafford on one of his rare starts, "Warm up, Trevor, you're coming off!".

• Obviously all pro footballers must have a certain level of skill etc etc

But at the level we were at, he just looked so average, so dreadfully average at everything, that you simply couldn't understand how he'd got a club.

Jo Kuffour! Who can remember him being the replacement for Beavon! Signed to a ludicrously long deal, seemingly based on him once scoring a couple versus us.

My word we've had some stinking players over the years, which makes you grateful for how well we're going now.

• For quite a few years we were a striker’s graveyard.

• Interesting synchronicity that his successor (sort of), Curtis Thompson, has also just won Player of the Month for the second month running and with the same percentage (44) of the vote.

• All hail Gareth @micra All hail!

• Indeed.

• Another emergency loan move for David Stockdale https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47174825

• Andy Lonergan too.

• Aaron Pierre scores for Northampton yet again.

• edited February 2019

Ingram, Eze and Scowen all on the bench for QPR vs Watford tonight - game is live on BT Sport 2, while Luke O'Nien starts for Sunderland vs Accrington - live on Sky.

• QPR seem to be in free fall. I hope they're not sniffing after Ainsworth any time soon.

• Where is O Nien playing at the moment? The graphic on my app tends to show him at right back.
    Is that accurate?

• Stadium of Light.

• Haven’t been watching @Malone but will ask mrs micra nicely if I can briefly interrupt the recording of Hospital that she’s glued to. I’m pretty sure Luke has been playing as a right wing back for some time now.

• I had the Sunderland game on silent while mostly watching the QPR/Watford cup tie. Looked like Luke was RB/RWB though he popped up in the box just before the end and 'scored' with a header, though it was rightly disallowed for him being offside.

• I don’t think Luke was offside. He was outside the box and the player ruled offside was near the six-yard box. Well, that’s how I saw it @AlanCecil. Luke’s shot seemed to take a deflection but I don’t know whether it struck an Accrington player or one of his teammates.

• Have just re-read your post @AlanCecil.
    The “goal” I saw was a shot, not a header, so we must be describing different incidents. Or I might be going do-lally.

• Just watched the highlights on Sky. Looked a GREAT game! Really high quality attacking.

• @micra said:
    Have just re-read your post @AlanCecil.
    The “goal” I saw was a shot, not a header, so we must be describing different incidents. Or I might be going do-lally.

You might well be right, I only saw it the once as I flicked between games!

• Bryn Morris just scored for Pompey at Southend.

• And has just hit the post. Pompey scored their third from the rebound.

• Roots Hall has the widest whitest white lines in the business.

• CMS scores for Mott's county

• Must be the good coaching.