Skip to content

Argument at work - who is the most prolific Football League striker of the modern era?

Having an argument at work and can't find this info. Does anyone know who the most prolific striker to never play in the Premier League is?

Comments

• Is it Billy Sharp?

• Steve Bull?

• Huge shout. Appears to have both a higher number of goals and better goal to game ratio.

• A good distraction!

Billy Sharp would have been a good shout but he actually made 2 Premier League appearances for Southampton in 2012-13.

And Steve Bull apparently made 1 substitute appearance for West Brom in the First Division in 1986.

I am of course having to look all this stuff up.

Best I can find so far is Andy Payton (mostly Hull/Burnley) late '80s to early 2000s. 185 Football League goals (plus 15 for Celtic)

• Arguably any player playing in the pre Premier League era fits your question. Horrible when history starts when that league started.

Billy Sharp certainly fits the spirit of the question though

• Keith Edwards was prolific outside the top flight. But may have retired by the time the Prem was formed ?

• Jamie Cureton?

• Played for Norwich in the Premier League according to Wikipedia.

• Adam Le Fondre? Now playing in Oz.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Adam Le Fondre? Now playing in Oz.

Nope, played in prem

• Matt Harrold? :wink:

• How about Scott McGleish?

• Brett Pitman has 156 league goals and only turned 31 this year.

• McGleish has 209 Football League goals and has never played in the Premier League.

• Jordan Rhodes is a good shout with 185

• I think Scott scored 247 goals in the Football League, please correct me if Im wrong.

@Chris said:
    McGleish has 209 Football League goals and has never played in the Premier League.

• I'm pretty sure that includes all his non-league goals.

• Or some of his non-league goals. It would be higher if you included all of them.

• Tommy Tynan got 259 goals outside of the top flight.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Jordan Rhodes is a good shout with 185

Played in Premier League with Middlesbrough

• The reason the argument started was I got set upon for saying Akinfenwa was among the most prolific lower league strikers of all time (was getting the usual shit about him being a fat gimmick).

However, when you exclude top flight strikers his total is actually right up there.

• Dave “Abe” Morris is the leading goal scorer in the football leagues and never played top flight football. He scored 289 goals in all competitions

• I’m not convinced that counts as the modern era.