Skip to content

Bloomfields time is up?

Been a real fan of Matty as a professional and a grafter over the years of late however todays performance was a clear indication that he is nowhere near up to it at this level any longer. Was a passenger in midfield all game lacking in fitness and technical ability.

Coaching role end of this season perhaps?

Comments

• How many times has this been said before, and how many valuable contributions has he made since? He was looking very impressive at the start of the season, so no reason why he can’t play a useful role again for Wycombe. We were beaten by a better side, it happens.

• Sorry but I agree with Mr Beale

• He's made a career out of proving people wrong, I won't be writing him off just yet! His performances earlier this season suggest he still has plenty to offer.

• People have been saying this for ten years - one bad game and he needs to hang his boots up. We were playing the best side in the division yesterday.

Blooms may not be the most technically gifted player, but he has put in some great performances this season and I certainly wouldn't question his fitness.

• We really do have some horrible nasty 'supporters' don't we? They don't deserve the club and loyal players we have.

• Just a reflection of society, I am afraid. all teams have their nasty supporters. I see a handful of southampton supporters excelled themselves at yesterdays game.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The problem is that a small minority of our most vocal fans (the same ones who are the most prolific users of social media) have to have someone to blame when we lose or don’t play well. Probably the same group who started the ‘Ainsworth out’ campaign a couple of years ago. The targets of their abuse often differ from week to week but they always need a scapegoat.

• The problem isn't with Bloomfield per se, the problem is that we appear once more to be settling into a 433 system (despite our best football and our one purple patch coming in the late autumn during a short-lived switch to 442) without the personnel in central midfield to be able to sustain it.

Unless the new kid from QPR can force his way in we're basically stuck with a triumvirate of Gape, Thompson and Bloomfield until one of them gets injured. And I note the difference in quote from Gareth in assessing Charlie Owens ("I’m sure he’ll get his chance to get minutes under his belt") with someone like Eze ("an exciting player to watch and someone who can make things happen"). I'm not sure he's expected to play much more of a role than padding in the squad, much like Charlie Fox before him.

Which leaves Marcus Bean as the only other option - a man who I'm not sure many of us would put into the first team out of choice these days (side note - apologies if this is deemed a "nasty" comment but I've always been under the impression fans were allowed to assess their own players on message boards, or is it just Bloomfield who's considered above criticism?)

We're looking dangerously light in central midfield under the chosen formation and unless a radical option is utilised, like the previously mooted moving of Harriman into central midfield, I don't see that changing for the rest of the season.

• FmGFmG
    edited February 2019

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

We really do have some horrible nasty 'supporters' don't we? They don't deserve the club and loyal players we have.

What was ‘nasty’ about the original post? Seems like a perfectly reasonable view for someone to have which acknowledged the service he’s given but suggests that maybe he’s coming to the end of his useful playing career.

Bloomfield’s loyalty has been great (and we’ve been incredibly loyal to him too through all his injuries and patchy form) but surely that doesn’t excuse him from critique? Seems to me it goes in cycles whereby he has half a dozen bad games and people point that out, then one decent performance seems to forgive him of all the indifference.

• I didn’t read it as a comment on the OP more on the reported vitriol on Facebook.

But got to agree fully with @aloysius. Midfield does seem a bit light. Still, we can always just hoof it over them like we normally do.

I actually think an injury or suspension will force a change, like Harriman in midfield, that will gel nicely.

• I’m sure RITM can defend himself but I'm also sure that he was referring to the FB page. The problem is not criticising players as such, more the language and extreme views that are employed. To refer to Bloomfield as ‘’useless’ or ‘Confefence at best’ is deeply insulting and just plain wrong to describe a player with over 400 appearances under a variety of different managers.

• Obviously the manager gives him a job to do and seems to think he is doing it. I do not question his effort or fitness but there have been times when I have thought...what is bloomy supposed to be doing...but I don't play or manage a football team. Losing to Luton at this stage is no disgrace considering their form this season...but it is a shame people forget the wins we've had with the same players so quickly.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    We really do have some horrible nasty 'supporters' don't we? They don't deserve the club and loyal players we have.

No different to fans like you who think you are the majority voice of the fan base when in reality your just a silent minority.

• Trevor is alive!!!!!!

• Love the idea of a silent minority.

• @trevor said:

No different to fans like you who think you are the majority voice of the fan base when in reality your just a silent minority.

So Trevor, as a matter of interest would you class yourself among those who are hypercritical and often abusiive of your own club, manager and players?

• @glasshalffull said:

@trevor said:

So Trevor, as a matter of interest would you class yourself among those who are hypercritical and often abusiive of your own club, manager and players?

no i never criticized gareth ever i think hes a very good young manager and we are lucky to have him .

• edited February 2019

It's one thing thinking to yourself a player isn't up to it, we all probably do it at times. A step up posting it on line.

But even worse like at Rovers, where "the usual" lot were making loud comments about how their mate was better than Bloomfield, and referred to Bayo as "Fatty".

Hilarious "banter" i'm sure.
    They shut up when the players in question were on the touchline in front of them. It is an incredibly close viewpoint at Rovers.

The anti Gareth mob (in the same gang) are still quietly bubbling under. I think it's only 2-3 defeats In a row from resurfacing.

It's a constant with fans though, who can forget Martin O Neill incredulous at fans giving him stick for losing a couple of games in the football league in a row in our 1st season!

• I would have brought Sam Saunders on yesterday

• We're going to have the Saunders thing all season now aren't we, despite him barely showing anything since he returned.

• @Malone said:
    We're going to have the Saunders thing all season now aren't we, despite him barely showing anything since he returned.

I personally thought Sam Saunders was our best player on the opening day of the season.

• Would be nice to see Charlie Owens sooner rather than later, never know what he might offer

• Matt had a poor game on Saturday (as did several others) against possibly the best team in the league, Luton moved the ball extremely well and had done their homework on how to nullify any threat we might pose. I felt that at 1-0 we could sneak a draw, but I think the Luton win was a fair result, but 3-0 very harsh. It was ironic that we conceded 2 after Matt went off, so perhaps he was more effective than we thought. As for Charlie we can only assume that he has yet to show Gareth enough on the training ground that he can contribute on the pitch YET.

• @Fit2drop Also, GA has a tendency to hold back some loanees for whatever reason. Maybe it's a psychological thing or simply a case of getting them 'Wycombised' before they're deemed ready. Aaron Pierre had to bide his time until he got into the first team and I seem to recall so did Fred the first time round. Randell Williams took so long to make his debut last season that I forgot he was here.

• Maybe it would be too insulting to the tight knit team we have here as well @Jonny_King , if someone comes in and instantly displaces them?

• @Jonny_King Williams signed on 19th Jan and debuted on 3rd Feb (the BEANY game), only our third fixture in that time, so not too long to be fair

• @Jonny_King I'm getting it mixed up with the considerably less thrilling Grimsby game as they were the only two I didn't watch from my normal spot. Anyway...

• Think Randell got injured, went back to Watford for treatment before he played, or before he had played much.