Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

Comments

• Score Predictions?

• @gastank, see WHC update Luton (a) thread.

• If anyone travelling to the game would like a copy of the latest edition of The Wanderer, please go to the WWISC coach (Angel Travel) after the game and ask very nicely for Teresa.

Safe travels.

• 12 minutes in and i haven't heard Bloomfield mentioned, any idea what his role is today?

• helluva match! Blooms is doing ok in def midfield. They are pressing heavily but only shooting from 20 yds so far

• shiiiit, should have kept quiet

• How on earth did El Abd get a yellow card? Luton´s nr. 5 pushes him with both hands and when Wycombe players protest that no foul was given Luton´s nr. 4 claps sarcastically.
    Anyone know how is commentating with Phil on iFollow?

Luton deserve to be ahead at half time, better side and have had better chances. Bloomfield looks out of depth - Owens to come on for him in the second half?

Are we missing Samuel or CMS upfront? Seems like an ideal game for them

• The very clued-up co-commentator is Simon Oxley, sports editor for BBC Three Counties.

• Certainly not a game to plunge a youngster into. Stewart, Freeman and Kashket my call.

• Called that wrong! Ok for a 19 year old - Luke Bolton - rather than the 21 year old! Got the other two right but Jombati didn’t succumb.

• @raglan , I dare say any game we don't win here on in will be the "ideal" game for whoever isn't starting!

• Anyone any idea what prompted that pathetic pitch invasion at the end?

• @th100 it was prompted by Lu’on’s number 4 who was a complete sh1t all game.

• edited February 2019

@Onlooker said:
    @th100 it was prompted by Lu’on’s number 4 who was a complete sh1t all game.

He was by no means anything like a shit all game but he did give it a very excessive hoorah when he won an unmerited free kick to relieve late pressure. He. like the other Luton players, were very good today and we took a deserved defeat.

I rather enjoyed the game, despite the result and our extremely poor performance for most of it. There was plenty of good play, mostly by Luton, and some exciting moments when the crowd was uplifted. I thought we defended very well throughout but attacked very poorly until round about the time Kashket came on when we began to move the ball a little more effectively rather than losing it cheaply.

As to individuals, I thought Gape and Thompson battled manfully in midfield, El Abd and Sido held it together well at the back and Bayo offered an outlet that might, with more effective support, have given us a chance. Paris had a decent first half but a less good second and the full backs were OK. Allsop made a couple of very good saves - I wish he would come for more crosses. Bolton, once again, struggled to make an impact on the game and Freeman had little time to do so.

Tyson and Blooms were both, I hate to say, poor. The latter conceded possession often in attack with one second half opportunity, from a great Bayo lay-off, being flubbed to a notable degree. That was to get us back to one all and an equaliser might have been said to be deserved if only for our endeavour and perseverance at that point. The two late goals gave the final score a slightly unrepresentative gloss but could not be said to be unfair as a reflection of the whole game. Well played, Luton. We go again, etc..

• I don't think we did that much wrong really. 3-0 looks much worse than it was.

Luton are clearly a good side. Excellent movement with 4 midfielders, 2 full backs and 2 strikers all comfortable on the ball and showing good movement. Struggled in the first half an hr to prevent them creating overloads down their right and eventually that how the goal came.

Thereafter we did well to play our way back in and kept Luton relatively quiet in the second half. Went for it in the last 10 mins or so and could have got an equaliser with a better final ball or a bit of luck.

In the end we were hit on the break for the second and that was the game done. Not sure who the attacker was but he took the ball down superbly from the long ball.

Kashkett looked very lively when he came on. I'd like to see him get a bit more game time really. Bolton hasn't been able to get into any of the games he's featured in at all really. Looks like he needs to learn the physical side quite quickly, although he isn't really showing for the ball when we are in possession, which seems odd.

Referee should have booked the number 4 toward the end for goading the away supporters, although the lad that went on the pitch was stupid in the extreme.

• Really good reaction after half time but very few clear cut chances actually materialised. Easy to see how Luton are doing well, with their attacking movement particularly impressive. On we go...

• No-one has said: 'That's it we're definately down now...' yet. Am I on the right gasroom?

• No complaints we trie hard. The best team won. We have come a long way but Luton have travelled further.

• When Saturday Comes perhaps @Wendoverman.

• Hindsight is a wonderful thing - during this match nothing seemed to click.
    Thought we missed someone upfront like CMS or Samuel; someone running around, chasing the ball - something Bayo does not do.

• I think CMS going out on loan was a mistake. For me he's a class act and I think he should be playing now for us

• CMS going out on loan may not have just been a football decision, there may have been a financial influence involved?

• He may have wanted to go due to his lack of playing time. Perversely we have too many forwards this season, they can't all play.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    CMS going out on loan may not have just been a football decision, there may have been a financial influence involved?

Finance must surely have been a factor. CMS salary/salary costs may well represent 10-15% of £500,000. Sam Saunders’ conceivably similar. Not sure what the payment arrangements were for the departed loanees or for the two youngsters currently with us but no doubt there is a modest saving there. The chipping away at the playing budget appears to have begun. Not sure it can go much further without adversely affecting results.

• @micra said:
    Finance must surely have been a factor. CMS salary/salary costs may well represent 10-15% of £500,000. Sam Saunders’ conceivably similar. Not sure what the payment arrangements were for the departed loanees or for the two youngsters currently with us but no doubt there is a modest saving there. The chipping away at the playing budget appears to have begun. Not sure it can go much further without adversely affecting results.

Agreed.

• It was interesting that, when being interviewed in the Vere Suite the other week, either Thompson or El-Abd (I can't remember who) remarked to the effect that we would see CMS again next season.
    Seems to me, as others have said, we do have options. Being so near to the magic 51 points it feels like getting him some game time while also playing Kashkett/Samuel/Freeman to assess their potential to make a mark in League 1 benefits everyone.

• @Twizz, that is one key benefit of most likely staying up with bags of time to spare.

There's a lot of responsibility on Samuel's shoulders already I think, with Bayo being a real big call about whether he can go on another year, CMS gone, Tyson another who will do well to stay another year, and Kashket barely getting a start all year.

• I really don't think we should declare safety yet. I could easily see us only getting 3 points from our next 4 games.