Skip to content

Nathan Jones to Stoke?

2»

Comments

• edited January 2019

@Wendoverman , what bigger club than Stoke do you think would take a punt on basically an only lower league proven manager?
    Any of the bigger clubs tend to go the soulless route, of a foreign manager, or one of the Pardew/Hughes/Bruce roundabout types.

We all dislike this guy, but it's to be applauded of Stoke really for trying this sort of route,

• calm down @Malone I just expressed my own personal surprise...I didn't expect a DevC Inquisition!

• Stoke are much bigger than Luton. The budget will be much larger. The training facilities will be a different class, the Stadium certainly is. Luton are going well now but are hardly guaranteed to go up and even if they do would find the division up far more challenging.

And he won't say it but he must be tired of their "fans"

• Indeed @StrongestTeam but higher budget means he will also be up against a dressing room full of under-performing but highly paid players that have ignored Moyes, Lambert and Rowett so far and Jones will probably not be given the time and patience he got at Luton to build a team. This is why I am surprised he went with Lu'on on the cusp...but I suppose it's a career decision that...if it comes off will give him a platform. If not of course, he'll be back bouncing around the lower leagues. How could anyone tire of supporters who now seem to believe him to be - whisper it - the very embodiment of Satan??

• Probably looking forward to the huge compensation cheque in six months time!

• Judging by some of the Hatters comments he had, as a good Christian, been a vocal opponent of the excesses of betting so moving to the Bet365 stadium was seen as less than godly by some of them. (Who had of course all given up betting, drinking and racism under his leadership.)

• @Wendoverman , haha, harsh! But fair.

• History repeatedly shows that the teams with the most money eventually prosper over those without.
    Portsmouth are showing what they're capable of now, after years of messing about.

I dare say Stoke v Luton in a couple of years won't even be a close one, unless Luton find some massive backer, and some Man City esque bending of the rulebook

• Could be Stoke versus Luton in August @Malone.

• @micra , could well be. But then it'll still most likely be in the same context as Sunderland v Wycombe. "Equal" footing only on a temporary technicality.

• ps had the misfortune of tuning into what must have been 3 counties radio this morning.
    Some right old angry Luton fans moaning. Been "let down" etc.

Should have waited until the summer was the strangest view.
    As if either 1) Stoke would have waited (they wouldn't), or the gamble that an equal or better club would come in for him then!

And as if they'd have taken it all so well if he left in the summer!

• If I were Jones I'd take their seething anger as a compliment

• Must be a tricky decision for them smash up his house or stay down at Westminster shouting abuse at women mps.

• Nice to see Stoke lost today.

• Also nice to see Diving Danny got sent off again.

• Also.nice to see they are celebrating getting exactly the same result as us away at sunderland

• Good start for Nathan!!

• Police investigating death threats to The Rev apparently. Just when you thought Luton fans could not get any classier.

• Why do they find it so difficult to move on? Harford's doing a great job there, and Jones is struggling to find his feet. They should be rejoicing in their current situation.

• It certainly is very strange. If the coppers charge someone for threatening their ex manager because he left their club, I am sure the family will be very proud!!

• Football does have a massively hateful backdrop to it.
    From abusing other fans or players, which many write off as "banter", to poisonous comments on social media, to the much more sinister stuff.

• Long before social media there was "terrace culture". Hiding in a mob as opposed to hiding behind a screen.

• Harford didn’t really want the caretaker job and has told them he definitely doesn’t want to keep it, so Luton board currently looking for a new manager but are reluctant to rock the boat while they are on such a good run. Let’s hope we can help him out on Saturday.

• I work with a Luton supporter, and as it normally does our conversation gets round to the our use of the “dark arts” I pointed out to him intimidation, abuse, death threats, you don’t get much darker than that