Skip to content

Nico Signing

Reports are that Nico is signing perm. not surprised after his tweets!, if true quality signing, another Scowen in your face player. If I hear any more I will post (source from inside the club)

Comments

• That would be a truly amazing signing

• Certainly would. Wonderful if true.

• That would be awesome (Nico permanently) signing if we pull it off.

• His tweet immediately after Saturday appears telling: "gutted with the result today! Football is a brutal game! But we pick ourselves up and go again next season!"

• Yeah i saw that and thought he just got carried away being at Wembley, it must also be said the a lot of Brentford fans don't rate him.

• Would have thought Yennaris, Saunders and Mawson would all struggle to make Brentford bench as players in front of them. So all three would probably be able to leave either permanently or on loan.

• I think this maybe just a rumour rouse. Would be amazing if we could get him back but not sure whether Brentford have a new manager in place that may want to look at squad first. Yennaris and Saunders back would soften the blow for losing Alfie.

• @JockyMcsporran Thing is they only want a coach now, all the Transfers will be done by the new Director of Football

• Maybe Aaron has had a word with Alfie and he'll come back too, we can but dream, and as he said in his farewell 'Who knows what the future holds but FOR NOW it's farewell' (I've uppercased the for now).

• For what it's worth Nico no longer appears in the list of squad players on the Bees website.

Just saying. I'm highly sceptical that we'd be able to sign him.

• Nico would be an unbelievable signing. I guess it's possible as he has played more professional games in a few months for Wycombe than the rest of his career put together. maybe he needs a fresh start, step backward, play well and every week for 12-18 months then move on up again, hopefully with us. Banton from Plymouh (ex) is a friend of Nico, having played together at Arsenal. I would actually try to get Banton as well, and hopefully Gaz can work his magic as he has been very highly regarded in the past....

• Yennaris has always looked the most plausible signing out of the loanees. As per the above comment, he's a young player who needs games. Yes he probably is a better player than League 2 standard, but he needs to prove that and a year or 2 at Wycombe may be just what he needs to kick start his career. Hope it's true, but won't be holding my breath!

• Excellent if true. Let's remember no-one thought Aaron P would sign...

• How about a Nico signing and a Sam Saunders season long loan? I think last year teams wouldn't necessarily think that loaning out to a team that nearly got relegated would be good business but with our exposure this term maybe it is....

• Heard the same rumour myself this morning, originally from someone at the club. Not necessarily someone who would know such things mind you.

Would be an absolutely fantastic signing.

• Hmm this is part of an article taken from the Brentford website this afternoon:

The three Brentford players who ended the season on loan – Will Grigg, Sam Saunders and Nico Yennaris – will report back for pre-season training with The Bees in July.

They will join the other 20 contracted players: Jake Bidwell; Lewis Macleod; Tony Craig; Harlee Dean; Jonathan Douglas; Scott Hogan; Moses Odubajo; Alan McCormack; Marcos Tébar; Stuart Dallas; Jack Bonham; Alan Judge; Andre Gray; Toumani Diagouraga; Jota; Raphaël Calvet; James Tarkowski; David Button; Jack O’Connell and Daniel O’Shaughnessy at Jersey Road ahead of the start of the new season.

Phil added: “We have spoken to all the contracted players and made it clear to them we saw them as part of the immediate future at Brentford FC.

“Things can change quickly in football but it is our intention that all will return to pre-season training.

“They will be given a chance to impress the new Head Coach.

• Nothing relating to Mawson?

• As I understand it, Mawson's contract was up at the end of the season, I believe his Mum is his agent - so I guess talks are underway. I could be wrong or missed the news his contract with the bees had been extended?

• I trust Alfie's Mum. She will get him to stay with us. You can feeeel the love for him.

• Quite extraordinary, players utilising their close family as agents. Good on them and in this case his mum.

• Refreshing indeed

• Looking at this article http://www.brentford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=400945 that does not mention Mawson, to me means that Brentford and Mawson's camp are still talking as I type. Wouldn't be surprised that Brentford new regime, will want to keep him (check him out over pre season) and if Mawson gets guarantees of game time and opportunities for first team football, may put pen to paper, I would If I was the Bee's gaffer.

Mawson will in my opinion, will be prominent, as a Bee's Centre Back easy street.

• The word on the street some time ago was that whatever Brentford said he wouldn't re-sign with them. Who knows whether that's true or not.

My guess is that the only way we'll keep him for another year is for him to sign with a premiership club based on his potential and then come back to us for another year's loan.

• I'm just not sure whether he's ready for that huge step to Premier League just yet. A great season in league 2 but such a huge jump so maybe if he is bought on potential and then go out on loan I'd hope we would be right at the front of that queue for him. Only problem we may have would be our league status- maybe a league 1 team might me more beneficial for progression for him as a player BUT would love him to come back for another crack here.

• Didn't Nico pretty much retract his comments on twitter..

• I had a long chat with Alfie's mum before the Burton away game. I asked what were the chances of Alfie staying with us next season to which she replied 'how much have you got?' I said I assumed not much to which she shrugged and said 'there you are then'. Wish it wasn't so but he won't be with us next season (Alfie and his Mum - if you read this feel free to prove me wrong!)
    I sat beside another player at the Club Dinner who informed me that Alfie is less than enamoured with Brentford (I paraphrase!) I'm equally sure he wont be staying there.

• the lad is nowhere near championship football let alone premier league, do you realise how good you have to be to play at that level of football ?
    he is top of league 2 or mid table league 1 .... Barry Corr won alot of headers against him and he is not the best of centre forward around.
    The only problem with having your mum as your agent is that she probably doesn't have much of a clue what sort of wages people are paying ... Alfie was only on a development contract at Brentford which won't be much more than £400 a week.

• Nico would be fantastic. Also, getting Saunders back, and keeping him fit would be absolutely sensational. He is a class above in League 2.

• No matter how good a centre-back is, they will always lose a few headers to someone who is taller than them.

But I agree Alfie would be likely to be better off with a real agent rather than his mum. He's good enough that he could be playing at a very high level and earning serious wages.

• @Slaphead said:
    I had a long chat with Alfie's mum before the Burton away game. I asked what were the chances of Alfie staying with us next season to which she replied 'how much have you got?' I said I assumed not much to which she shrugged and said 'there you are then'. Wish it wasn't so but he won't be with us next season (Alfie and his Mum - if you read this feel free to prove me wrong!)
    I sat beside another player at the Club Dinner who informed me that Alfie is less than enamoured with Brentford (I paraphrase!) I'm equally sure he wont be staying there.

Brentford had leverage (like most clubs, players left disillusioned when injured and contracts are up) and hence kicked off his rehabilitation and career with us, so I guess the tables have turned and unfortunately we are skint end off.

Market forces dictate who is worth what and I bet that's why alot of players have left the club the way they have, that's my perspective.

Mawson team have a market value and that's that. U24 so I bet your cotton socks the Brentford Business machine will not let him walk away regardless, business is business, hence no news in the public domain.

Stewert situation....