Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• Red and yellow would be much less of a clash for the vast majority of colourblind people.

• Besides Scowen coming back, I think Hanlan is the most desperate need at this point.

Chuffed about the win, but the performance itself was similar to other games where we have tried to hold a first half lead and lost, so not getting ahead of myself.

I would also like to acknowledge JJ. I thought he did really well overall.

• 7 instances of a team facing 25+ shots in a game in the top 4 divs this season and we've accounted for two of them...

• One thing that couldn’t be faulted today was the amazing effort put in by all the lads. Chris Forino was immense.

Talked to a few Oxford fans in the way into the stadium and they were tipping Robinson to be sacked if they lost to us today.

I also hope that the person who needed medical attention is OK. Very sad to see that at football and it makes you realise that at times like that football is not that important.

Well done the Wycombe fans today, we all got behind the team throughout and paid due respect to the poor person involved in the incident.

Fans have a right to voice their opinions good or bad as they pay their hard earned money to watch but that should not be mistaken for lack of love for the club/team.

• edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fans have a right to voice an opinion yes, this is constantly said throughout forums and discussions.

But if it's an utterly daft one, such as kneejerk stuff, or totally ignoring certain factors, they have to expect to be challenged on it.

• Not a great game, but definitely a great win! All the talk of the 20+ shots from Oxford, but nearly all were rather desperate long range efforts that went nowhere near the goal. For all their pressure, they didn't really create anything clear cut. Defensively we were solid today, Forino, JJ and Mawson all excelled.

In many ways our performance last week was better, but we got the break with the penalty save, scored an excellent goal from our 1 chance and put our bodies on the line and protected it. I suspect with the midfield injuries, that'll be how we need to pick up our points over the next month. Hopefully we can pick up performances once the likes of Scowen return. Today was all about the result and thankfully we achieved that!

• Being challenged on opinions is ok in my book, as surely that is obviously what the gasroom is all about. However, the ‘challenger’ can still show due respect and not dismiss opinions as utter rubbish just because the people in question are not football managers themselves.

• Probably answers to question to all those that are unaware of the new EFL rules. Change and 3rd kits (or a combo of all 3) can also be worn at home to avoid kit clashes for colourblind players and spectators. I'm guessing clubs are advised by the EFL but not sure.

The ruling does not apply for the benefit of match officials because most are fully blind.

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/june/new-colour-blindness-kit-clash-amendmen/

• I have just one thing to say...

GET THE FUCK IN!!!

• fantastic result and Chirs and Alfie were immense however still very concerned that Gareth is so negative and is so rigid with his subs , we were lucky that Oxford were so toothless upfront, we are so blessed with the strength of our squad , just need Gareth to be braver and improve his tactical awareness

• It's quiet here tonight - we must have won!

First, thoughts go to the person in the South Stand. Really hope they're OK and back at the football soon. Really classy response from all involved but especially Ainsworth and Robinson who each clapped all (3!) sides of the ground. I noticed they spent the whole of the second warm up talking on the sidelines - clearly a lot of mutual respect between the two of them.

It felt like vintage Ainsworth-era Wycombe this afternoon, which after a messy few weeks is enough to cheer the soul. We didn't look brilliant but created a superb goal and then sat back against a toothless Oxford team. I heard Karl Robinson on Radio Oxford talking about the number of shots they had as a badge of honour, but in reality I've never seen a team so wild in their shooting as Oxford today. Brannagan looked a shadow of the player we've seen before and was almost on a one-man mission to hit a shot into every block behind the goal. Compared to the MK away playoff game - the most intense and sustained pressure I've ever seen us under - today felt infinitely more comfortable.

We've clearly still got work to do and I'm not certain we're much better than a mid-table team, but there were some superb performances today. Forino and Mawson were superb, JJ thankfully somewhere near his best and Stryek very solid too (although his kicking needs work). I can only assume a win like that will do wonders for our confidence levels. And of course a shout out for GA. He always recovers from these blips and will lead us through this one too - we're so lucky to have him.

• On the Oxford forum they are saying they have only played Plymouth and Derby in the top half so far! Our seasons may have looked similar in the league table before the game, but they could be in for a long old grind, whereas we have played quite a difficult fixture list to date.

• edited October 2022

• The mood in Laser Kombat was very subdued when I walked past

• Oxford's shooting might have been speculative, but we have faced the third-most shots in the league - which is indicative of the needlessly low block @Glenactico referred to earlier. We've got so much quality; why are we so negative?!

• They were absolutely dreadful. They’ll do well to stay up if they play like that.

• I think the Oxford shot stats are somewhat misleading today. Easy to say now we're sitting on 3 points, but they rarely looked like scoring. The vast majority of their efforts were speculative to say the least. Not that we created much either! 2 fully committed sides, but the goal was a rare moment of quality.

• Mawson's cross was KDB-esque

• 3 fully committed sides no?

• If that was in the prem, sky would be 'enjoying it' for weeks

• Having watched back the highlights the penalty was even worse than I’d realised at the time (and it looked pretty calamitous live). Stryjek rescued the situation with a double save but the truth is that a keeper only gets the chance to make a save if the pen is relatively weak. Had it been tucked in the corner that error would look an utter disaster now. Hopefully he learns that in those situations he needs to be much more decisive.

• Surely Max was as decisive as he could be. Forino is a rare talent but his underhit header back to Max was a rare blemish on an otherwise superlative performance.

• 👆 I’m still watching this space 😀

• Irrespective of how this season goes, it looks like we have a good young-ish present and future spine in Stryjek-Forino-Gape-Hanlan which can hopefully be around for a while.

• Great result, hopefully the wind has changed for us this season. And although I don’t usually revel in other peoples woes, I’m off to the yellow forum with a box of popcorn.

• Just realistic. It was dreadful error that could easily have put us 1-0 down

• I think the takeaway from yesterday was it was a really good result, whoever lost their respective manager would certainly be under pressure. It was a horrid performance from both teams. The goal had no place in such an ugly game.

We still have lots to do before we can start to feel positive. Our passing was off. Our creativity was minimal. The service to Vokes was non-existent. Our lack of defensive midfielders again allows the opposition to create shooting opportunities all afternoon.

Still rather be in our place than Oxford but Saturday will be a different test.