Skip to content

New kit

Comments

• @Shev said:

@floyd said:
    The tag line doesn’t fill me with confidence. I’d love a reprisal of that red and white kit tho.

Yes, it's a weird one, something like "History looks good on us, but now we need to look our best"?

However, I thought the club cannot move away from the quarters? Or did that change with the takeover?

TBF i'm on a bit of a hair trigger when it comes to the quarters. Anything else isn't Wycombe Wanderers.

• edited August 2020

I hear the new home shirt will have a giant chair on it instead of a giant swan

• edited August 2020

Hopefully it means "Our historical kits have all looked good, but we REALLY need to look good now, so we have reverted to the correct blue quarters, with an unobtrusive sponsor." (No disrespect to Cherry Red as a company)

• Also, not quarters isn't necessarily a bad thing.

(Anyone selling one of these...?)

• I am much more of a newcomer to the club, and I am aware that those who grew up in the light blue era love that kit. But for what it's worth, the blue quarters are more instantly recognizable and iconic (in my opinion) than a light blue that could also pass for Man City or Coventry (well, at least the shirt).

My understanding - based on historicalkits.co.uk - is that the club got away from the quarters as part of a general move away from tradition in the 1960s. But we are now in an era where branding is such a major part of a club's psyche, and with the quarters having been back for around 30 years now, they seem to symbolize the entire AP/league era, in addition to re-connecting with origins (though I think halves came before quarters?)

I actually think the light blue is still lovely - but the quarters are transcendent.

• For what it's worth, this is what I make the running total, based on the same website:

Quarters: 65 years

Plain light blue: 24 years

Halves (incl. 2012-13): 20 years

Stripes: 14 years

"Blue Villa" (1912-21): 9 years

So this would also be quarters 65, all other variants 67. Interesting that quarters are not even half the history yet (though with halves it goes up to 85 years), but still far in the lead.

• edited August 2020

Unpopular opinion I know, but I actually really like the current kit. A blue sponsor probably would have worked better, but red and blue go well together and you can't choose a sponsor purely for the colour of their logo! Plus it will always be memorable for its historical significance now.

• I like the various elements, @chairboyscentral - but I wish they had happened at different times, as in the swan design having a different sponsor, and Cherry Red on a different kit. A friend of mine worked up a mock swan kit with Dormeo as the sponsor, and it just looked so much better, whereas I have always felt Cherry Red would suit a sleeker kit with no frills, so that you have a little pop of red making it a little more interesting.

• I was hoping Dormeo might be the new home sponsor

• Nothing wrong with the light blue per se, but if you want instant recognition, especially with more TV games, it has to be the quarters.

• The current kit is beautiful. I even love the sponsor but know I am a minority. Yes it’s big and bold but it’s a punk label, it’s how it should be.

• @floyd said:
    Nothing wrong with the light blue per se, but if you want instant recognition, especially with more TV games, it has to be the quarters.

Yeah, it definitely has to be quarters - all I've ever known as well - but that Umbro one is the holy grail.

• I think my position is clear. I am therefore confident the the powers that be will not retire my handle and will keep brand recognition for all it is worth.

I have stated publicly and referring specifically to the quarters that "some things are not for sale." I stand by this as I will always remember my time as a Wanderer as being in quarters; to entertain any other eventuality is closer to blasphemy than common sense imo.

I await an announcement of historic proportions (nod to the Beast) and a well rounded, exceptional kit that lives up to the hype and makes me want to buy one immediately and wear it with pride throughout our first Championship season.

Feels slightly like rooting for the team to do well on a Saturday this!)

Here's hoping

• Im a big fan of the current kit.

• Where do people stand on collars?

• Have loved the recent kits, this last 6 years - I thought the league 2 playoff shirt was the best - brilliant. That's about as big a tweak to the quarters as I'd want to see though.

• I like O'Neills a lot. They do tend to like a bit ore experimentation, and when you add the likelihood of our American owners possibly trending more towards "Razzmatazz" it would not surprise me if we get another kit closer to extrovert than introvert.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    The silhouette has quarters on. Maybe the inclusion of Essandoh at Leicester means red and white for the new third kit?

Personally I like darker colours so a grey and black quartered shirt would be a thumbs up from me, although I know that wasn’t the point of the post...

@floyd said:
    The tag line doesn’t fill me with confidence. I’d love a reprisal of that red and white kit tho.

It was a great kit for sure, but we have already had one revisiting (slightly marred by the hideous iron-on sponsor logo).

• Cambridge have offered up a nice tribute for their away kit (albeit halves instead of quarters). Do we need any more proof that everyone secretly wants to be us?

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/20/21-Kits/cambridge-united-2020-2021-away-kit.html

• Too true - even the Japanese are at it (Kawasaki Frontale kit from 2018):

• @Shev said:
    Cambridge have offered up a nice tribute for their away kit (albeit halves instead of quarters). Do we need any more proof that everyone secretly wants to be us?

http://www.footballshirtculture.com/20/21-Kits/cambridge-united-2020-2021-away-kit.html

Hummel dropping amazing kits left, right and centre. Have you seen Southend's? Such a bad team doesn't deserve to look that good.

• @chairboyscentral - yes, that's another nice one! It's a weird aspect of modern football that some of the top teams look worse than the lower league teams, owing to the Nike/Adidas templates the PL clubs often receive, whereas lower league kits seem to be mostly bespoke.

• @Malone said:
    On another note, i just found the green kit from the early league days in the cupboard today.
    Glorious.

This is a sensational kit. I’d love to see it make a comeback at some point.

• Hummel would be at the very top of my list if I could choose us a kit designer and manufacturer. They always just ooze class.

• Love the current kit and you'd have to admit the swan, the Baz goalie shirts and the quick look at the new 3rd kit we got show they aren't wed to easy templates. I find it difficult to believe people are offering us more money and we are turning it down either so O'Neill's must work on that level too.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Love the current kit and you'd have to admit the swan, the Baz goalie shirts and the quick look at the new 3rd kit we got show they aren't wed to easy templates. I find it difficult to believe people are offering us more money and we are turning it down either so O'Neill's must work on that level too.

Quick look at the new third kit?

• edited August 2020

The only slight downside to O'Neills is that the base shirt and the neckline have been exactly the same on all five of the shirts they've done for us so far. This one is slightly different (also surprised about the three stripes as I thought that was an Adidas trademark):

I'd love an actual collar, but they only seem to do that on their GAA kit.

• edited August 2020

The upside is we're one of the few football teams they supply to. The only others of note are a couple in Ireland, Partick Thistle, and the DR Congo national team - whose home shirt is also in the extrovert category!

• @YorkExile said:
    Hummel would be at the very top of my list if I could choose us a kit designer and manufacturer. They always just ooze class.

Rage Sport would be at the top of mine.

• I like that DRC kit, and I prefer the shirt with no collar.