Skip to content

Michael Robinson

Sad news of Michael Robinson's death today.
I really admired his non stop running style, with plenty of skill. I would imagine he would be very much the style of player that Gaz would purr over ?
Although mainly on highlights at Brighton and Liverpool, I thought Robinson would go on to be a top flight star for many many years.
So which player/s did you think were top notch? but your opinion wasnt shared by the managers that employed these players.

Comments

• Lee Holsgrove! Thought he looked like a very cultured passer of the football

I also thought Steven Taylor would go on and play many times for England

• I also thought Taylor would win multiple oscars. Hasn't done that yet either.

Currently playing in New Zealand I understand.

• Yeah, you probably never saw him play for Wycombe

• edited April 2020

Lee Sharpe and Joe Cole.

• @eric_plant said:
    Lee Holsgrove! Thought he looked like a very cultured passer of the football

Totally agree about Steven Taylor, I thought I would be telling people for years to come that I saw England captains football league debut at Notts County.

• I thought Marcello Trotta and Jordan Ibe would go on to play for their countries. Neither looks likely now I am afraid.

• I wonder how good Andy Baird could have been without the injuries.

• Baird seemed to have everything a modern centre forward needed in his armour.
    A real shame injuries never allowed him to fulfill his potential.

• @ChasHarps said:

@eric_plant said:
    Lee Holsgrove! Thought he looked like a very cultured passer of the football

Totally agree about Steven Taylor, I thought I would be telling people for years to come that I saw England captains football league debut at Notts County.

I remember standing at the bar at half time at that game and people genuinely couldn't believe what they had just witnessed. He was extraordinary for us.

• That was the Newcastle game when Bowyer and Dyer later had a fight and the Toon were left down to eight men! Not a good day at the office...

• I thought Richard Harris was underrated. I saw him once he’d retired and he said I was wrong!

• Is this the Peter Garland thread?

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Never seen this before, shouldn't laugh really.

It should be in the rulebook that you can punch anyone doing that. What a clown.

• Funny though. Never seen that either, surprised it hasn't been more prominent onTV/social media. Irritating that it is, a very good distraction to the keepers focus can't be denied and whilst unethical, I don't believe it's against any rule?

• It could surely come under the heading of ungentlemanly conduct, a cautionable offence.

• What about if he does it facing the other way?

• Isn't that basically what Matt Rhead spent the entire game doing against us when we played Lincoln in their first game back in the league?

• The goalie and defenders spent so much time pointing at him and shouting to the referee rather than getting ready for the free-kick, he did what he meant to do!

• It didn't actually cause the goal though, as he'd stopped way before the strike.

It was an absolutely unsaveable masterpiece of a strike that wouldn't have been saved anyway.