Skip to content

Sliding Doors

There’s only so long you can discuss options for ending the season.

No one can ever tell of course but I wonder where you think the club would now be in the following “sliding doors” alternative realities.

1) Alan Parry had not needed a slash
2) MON had accepted an offer elsewhere in the summer after league promotion
3) Hayes had got planning permission for Booker
4) one of Bristol’s near misses had gone in
5) Bayo had signed for someone else

Comments

• None of that really matters, which is just as well because no-one knows

• 6) Germany had won the war.

• Nobody believes that you believe your first sentence.

• 7) an asteroid hadn't killed off the dinosaurs

• If we’d not conceded late against Southend.

• If Jordon Ibe hadn’t signed aged 12.

• If Pierre hadn’t needed cash.

• I’m bored enough

1) Not too dissimilar but without the rush of the MO’N years. We were a well run non-league team with a latent fan-base eager for us to succeed. Probably have taken us another 4 or 5 years to get there but we would have.

2) as above

3) we’d clearly have been bemoaning the fact that our bid for Champions League qualification this season had been derailed by C19

4) we’d (well a few of us) would be be complaining that the season had been voided and that thrilling 5-4 win at Flackwell Heath had been wiped from the record books.

5) not too dissimilar but without a lot of red faces amongst us know-it-all’s. I think GA would have been astute enough to have got us up and kept us up with a different style

• Just about everything posted on the gasroom doesn’t really matter and is largely speculation @eric_plant .

For what it is worth based on pure guesswork
    1) Keenan had left behind a strong squad and the club was well run off the field with significant potential local support. Every chance we would have achieved league status if perhaps a little more slowly
    2) loss of momentum would have been a massive blow. Maybe struggled to survive.
    3) a better located stadium with another team sharing the cost in theory makes sense. Could the numbers ever have made sense though?
    4) likely complete financial meltdown. May have done a Boston and endured very difficult times but now be back around Conference south level
    5) a talisman on the field and irreplacable style.
    Doubtful we would have achieved lg1 without him

• Who is Keenan?

Ps your 3) is pure bait. Classic Dev

• @eric_plant said:
    Who is Keenan?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Keenan

• Keenan was Kelman before spellcheck took over. 3) is an honest opinion (with a don’t know conclusion)

• Some twat in China hadn't eaten a bat

• Missed the point of the post with the questions but got there with the answers.

We are running in to so many repeats on the TV I'm not far enough in to lock down to cope with @DevC 's greatest hits at this point.

• 1) Alan Parry had not needed a slash
    Kenny Hibbitt appointed. He leads Wycombe to a series of top half finishes before being replaced in 1993. We didn't have the clash with Colchester and their sacked manager Roy McDonough leads us to promotion in 1995 after narrowly missing out the year before.

2) MON had accepted an offer elsewhere in the summer after league promotion
    O'Neill goes to Forest and we get Barry Fry as manager. Great in attack, but iffy in defence, we have a mid-table season in D3 before he leads us through the playoffs the following year. He's then sacked after we are bottom at Christmas in D2

3) Hayes had got planning permission for Booker
    Wycombe public soon lose interest as does Hayes. Wasps prosper while we go into admin and reform in the Hellenic League sharing at Flackwell Heath. Eventually reach the Isthmian League and have to share at Maidenhead.

4) one of Bristol’s near misses had gone in
    We go down. Ainsworth leaves and we become a Conference mainstay, flirt with the playoffs but safe from the drop.

5) Bayo had signed for someone else
    We become a top half side in L2, eventually winning promotion through the playoffs but are unable to stay up. The Couhigs persist and succeed with their bid to buy Yeovil Town.

• @eric_plant said:
    Who is Keenan?

Couldnt really expect DevC to know who the manager was before St Martin, he didnt jump back on the bandwagon till someone brought him a 'Wanderers at Wembley' T-shirt in 91.

• Last game before lockdown, big local derby in Southern Premier League South.

WWFC 1 Beaconsfield Town 1
    Attendance 773

Season abandoned with WW in 14th position.
    Manager Keith Scott had unsurprisingly been under a fair bit of pressure.

• Thought Dev was getting the legendary Keenan and Kel mixed up, bearing in mind Kelman is a great mix of the two.

• @Keith_Allens_Wig said:
    Some twat in China hadn't eaten a bat

Actually bats are eaten all over the world, they get through 100,000 a year in Ghana and part of Italy used to eat horseshoe bats up to World War 2.

• edited April 2020

People don't really still think this started from someone eating a bat, do they (a belief which seemed to stem from a video going around which was filmed in Palau in 2016)? Poor food hygiene is far more of an issue than what they actually eat. It's thought that pangolins were the last step before humans anyway.

• No evidence of bats on sale at the Wuhan wet market if that is where it started. I suspect it was via another animal.

• I feel I’m living in someones alternative reality now.

• @Onlooker said:
    No evidence of bats on sale at the Wuhan wet market if that is where it started. I suspect it was via another animal.

Did you find a menu?

• Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it ?

https://mustsharenews.com/wuhan-market-animals-menu/

• The joys of the gasroom. A wholly irrelevant thread sidetracked first by the usual personal attack brigade and then meandering to discussing the merits of Batmeat. (My advice beware of the Vampire ones - they bite back). All we need now is a recipe for Pangolin Au Gratin and this threads purpose is fulfilled.

See you at the quiz later. I expect to come last.

• Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 1 quart casserole dish.
    Layer 1/2 of the pangolin into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining pangolin. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the pangolin, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
    Bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven

• Awful thread

• I was going to.social distance from this thread but on the question of bats consumption there is a good reason these things often start in China whatever disgusting and morally dubious meat they are eating. Poverty, overpopulation, poor health and a secretive totalitarian government.

• Do you leave the tail on @Chris?