Skip to content

Rolando Aarons returns to Newcastle

2»

Comments

• edited January 2020

@floyd said:
    Reminds me of the whole season where all we talked about was how good Rammell and Devine where going to be together.

We did get that short lived experiment of those two, and the Falcon together, in some mad long ball dream/nightmare.

Also brings back the Sanchez melt down days, where he actually started getting after his own players - criticising Devine for having to be rehabbed, and the Falcon, saying how he "had his nice house in Aylesbury" on our dollar, and needed to up his output!

• @Malone said:

>

We did get that short lived experiment of those two, and the Falcon together, in some mad long ball dream/nightmare.

I remember beating Oldham away with that combo, briefly hailing Sanchez as a genius and then being absolutely turned over the next week at Wigan.

• The excellent COTN confirms the details, but it was Richard Harris who got the second at Oldham. This para more or less sums up his entire career with us:

The nearest Oldham came to equalising was on 80 minutes when Harris sliced a clearance against his own cross-bar but it was Harris who sealed the three points for Wycombe when he fired home into the top corner from inside of the penalty area after taking a couple of attempts to control Michael Simpson's low ball in following a pass from Faulconbridge.

• My recollection of Harris' goal at Oldham is that he hit the ball really hard.

• @floyd said:

@Malone said:

>

I remember beating Oldham away with that combo, briefly hailing Sanchez as a genius and then being absolutely turned over the next week at Wigan.

Yes!
    No manager combined quite the ability for the miracle with utter meltdown that Sanchez had. For us anyway. Mourinho makes a career of it.

Sanchez would have been fine if bates Devine et all had stayed the same age and fitness for ever. Once he had to rebuild he was finished.

As for Harris, it seems mad to remember the crowd singing to sign him up, seemingly for the entertainment of his long throw!!

• ... and his abilities as a stand-in 'keeper!

• Exactly @malone, everything went wrong when he had to/decided to rebuild the team at the end of 01/02 (?)

Next season will be the 20th anniversary of the cup run, which can't be right.