Skip to content

Is veganism in sport cheating?

Comments

• Admirable cause, but no one can say with a straight face that vegan substitutes hold a candle to the real thing in terms of taste...and the good ones cost a fortune.

Must be why so many (not on here!) feel the need to let everyone know of their suffering of eating cardboard cheese substitutes instead of the real thing

• @Wendoverman said:

I had to drive someone to Stoke Mandeville early doors and breakfast, crisp and coffee-less made the mistake of trying to post on the Gasroom. All those nurses interrupting me with their crash trollies and CPR...they aren't quiet.

I hope all well now @Wendoverman.

• How do you know if someone's a vegan?

They've already told you they're a vegan

• Careful you don't get gobbled up by someone following an Eric Plant-based diet.

• @eric_plant said:
    How do you know if someone's a vegan?

A cracking joke in 1999.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@eric_plant said:

A cracking joke in 1999.

Still as relevant as ever though. Some stereotypes have basis in truth, check out Moby's latest tattoo for exhibit 975,386,788C

• @ValleyWanderer said:

@Wendoverman said:

I had to drive someone to Stoke Mandeville early doors and breakfast, crisp and coffee-less made the mistake of trying to post on the Gasroom. All those nurses interrupting me with their crash trollies and CPR...they aren't quiet.

I hope all well now @Wendoverman

Thanks @ValleyWanderer I was, of course, exaggerating. It is an ongoing problem with a family member which is frustrating (GPs crappy careless diagnosis and hospital not explaining anything) but I think we are over the hump.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@eric_plant said:

A cracking joke in 1999.

Made I laugh, but then I didn't hear it in 1999.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@eric_plant said:

A cracking joke in 1999.

That's up to date by Eric's standards!

• @Username said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@eric_plant said:

A cracking joke in 1999.

Still as relevant as ever though. Some stereotypes have basis in truth, check out Moby's latest tattoo for exhibit 975,386,788C

I swear they were temporary transfer ones?

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Username said:

@OxfordBlue said:

@eric_plant said:

A cracking joke in 1999.

I swear they were temporary transfer ones?

I hope they were...

• @Username said:
    Admirable cause, but no one can say with a straight face that vegan substitutes hold a candle to the real thing in terms of taste...and the good ones cost a fortune.

Must be why so many (not on here!) feel the need to let everyone know of their suffering of eating cardboard cheese substitutes instead of the real thing

I'm a meat eater but had my first Greggs vegan sausage roll on the way up to the first Tranmere game. It was delicious, tasted like meat and I will buy it again in preference to a meat one.

• Still a meat eater but have seriously reduced my intake and try to source it from organic producers. The problem with veganism is that it is a very labour intensive thing I think...sourcing the right ingredients cooking it properly to make it tasty etc etc. Probably a bit easier of you have plenty of time in a day to sort it all out. Many would not have the time or go for the easiest off the shelf cardboard option. Having said that I thought the derision Gregg's got for (health of the nation reasons aside) what is a very sound forward thinking business decision was ridiculous and from what I've heard a success. There's nothing wrong with trying to eat healthier. Having said all that tedious fucknuts who insist on going on about smoothies, lemon grass and their blender and how yoga and tofu have transformed their lives without even being asked are appalling.

• edited November 2019

Tofu is supposed to soak up flavour but is actually about as absorbent as Tesco Value
    toilet roll. I'm not sure the vegan sausage rolls are that healthy - full of fat and salt - but they're nice, even if it's just Quorn.

• @Steve_Peart said:

@Username said:
    Admirable cause, but no one can say with a straight face that vegan substitutes hold a candle to the real thing in terms of taste...and the good ones cost a fortune.

I'm a meat eater but had my first Greggs vegan sausage roll on the way up to the first Tranmere game. It was delicious, tasted like meat and I will buy it again in preference to a meat one.

A Greggs sausage roll isn't the highest of bars to beat, but I accept the point

• Quite frankly if you're a committed vegetarian / vegan eating some substitute designed to look and taste like meat isn't going to be what you do.
    Those quorn type things are cleverly marketed to appeal to the omnivorous masses (at least until they have eaten them once or twice and worked out how hidious they are), to allow them to feel they've made some self sacrifice in the name of humankind / their wasteline.
    If you want to adopt a vegetarian / vegan lifestyle there are more than enough food options available so that the last thing you'd want to eat in your diet is a "meat substitute product".
    I'd genuinely thought the OP has his tongue firmly in his cheek when he asked the question but given some of the responses I'm beginning to wonder if it might be what some people believe...

FYI, I'm an omnivore but some of the tastiest food I've ever eaten has been vegan.

• Well said @Twizz and I’d be genuinely interested to hear from any fellow Gasroomers that have seen the documentary and felt like me that it might not be not irrelevant that veganism is a thing at Wycombe

• I've been vegetarian all my life, and I enjoy (some) meat substitute products.

• @Chris said:
    I've been vegetarian all my life, and I enjoy (some) meat substitute products.

From your posts, you make me feel like a rock star in comparison.

• @malone we can’t all be @LX1

• @Chris said:
    @malone we can’t all be @LX1

Tis true.

• Agree @Twizz a vegetarian sausage/bacon would just make me want sausage or bacon. I would imagine it's more about completely changing your lifestyle rather than just tying to ape it.

• The new wave of veggie sausages are leagues above the stale soya stuff we've endured over the years, but bacon remains seemingly impossible to replicate. There was an American brand years ago called Morning Star that got it close but they were banned in the UK for containing GMO. Try the Richmond ones - bet you can't tell the difference.

• I've had the Impossible 2 burger in the states a couple of times. It's phenomenal and I'd happily pick it over a meat one every time.

• I tried the impossible burger and I didn’t like it.

• My point was why even bother to eat a "meat substitute product" in a bun and pretend it's a burger? Don't see the point, just eat a meat burger if you want one.
    There are far better food options available than that for a vegetarian/vegan if that's the lifestyle choice you make.

• I’m perfectly capable of deciding what food I like, thanks, as are other vegetarians and vegans. Some like meat substitutes, and some don’t, that’s fine.

• @Twizz said:
    My point was why even bother to eat a "meat substitute product" in a bun and pretend it's a burger? Don't see the point, just eat a meat burger if you want one.
    There are far better food options available than that for a vegetarian/vegan if that's the lifestyle choice you make.

You seem to have assumed that all vegans and veggies have elected to consume a plant based diet purely for reasons of taste.

• I'm sure you are correct @Chris, I was merely responding to the comments that some substitutes are pretty grim.
    I don't believe I ever made that statement @Lloyd2084, although I did comment that some of the tastiest food I've eaten has been vegan. Which is a true statement.
    If I've offended any vegetarians/vegans by suggesting that they would want to eat "meat substitute products" then I apologise.
    Absolutely agree we are all free to eat what we like.