Skip to content

Signing #6 - Jamie Mascoll

Comments

• @Shev said:
    Look at us splashing the cash!

What cash he is on a free

• The fact that he's had some great seasons doesn't make JJ immune from criticism. He was found out far too often last season - that Oxford game when he got hauled off was the last straw at the time - and that's not going to change as he gets older and, if it's even possible, slower. He'll remain first choice for now, but Mascoll is waiting in the wings and so far looks like he's got all the makings of a great modern full-back.

• JJ also scored two goals direct from corners (plus a third headed in on the line) which no one else at the club is capable of doing.

• Intentional or flukes though? ?‍♂️ His goal against Shrewsbury was an absolute rocket, mind you.

• @eric_plant said:
    JJ is the best left back we've ever had. People need to have a bit more respect (and knowledge about football)

Exactly. If JJ had pace he wouldn't ever have been playing in League One/Two

• @trevor said:

@Shev said:

Think you'll find that he isn't on the "payroll" for free? If he is, then hats off to GA et al!

• Best deadball player we have...unfortunately sometimes the defending bit is frightening? I like JJ meself. Perhaps they should play him up front!

• @th100 said:
    Intentional or flukes though? ?‍♂️ His goal against Shrewsbury was an absolute rocket, mind you.

Once might be a fluke, but it happening on multiple occasions makes it seem more like a deliberate tactic against certain goalkeepers / defenders.

• edited July 2019

@Chris Perhaps, but that still doesn't make up for his shortcomings. Besides, the quality of his delivery did diminish over the course of last season. Let's see how he fares in the opening few games.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@trevor said:

@Shev said:

Think you'll find that he isn't on the "payroll" for free? If he is, then hats off to GA et al!

So wages count towards transfer fees?

• I bet you used to moan at Darren Currie for being slow

• @trevor said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@trevor said:

@Shev said:

Do you genuinely not understand, or are you just trolling?

• @trevor and @rmjlondon back in the room...got to be close to season kick-off.

• @Jonny_King said:

@trevor said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@trevor said:

@Shev said:

Both in his case.

• @Jonny_King said:

@trevor said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@trevor said:

@Shev said:

In fairness to @trevor, he's still grappling with how we're still in a perilious financial position despite us once selling a player.

• @trevor said:

@Shev said:

There was me thinking we paid players. What a naive bloke I am.

• Oops, apologies to @EwanHoosaami for similar post.

• @trevor said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@trevor said:

@Shev said:

Oh dear. Not even good at being a troll are you? ?

• @mooneyman said:
    @glasshalffull - Strange view that a weakness in a players defensive ability is not important for a defender!

I didn’t say that he was weak defensively, he isn’t. I said it wasn’t his main quality. Every player at our level is going to have a weakness or they’d be playing in the PL. Better to concentrate on what he’s good at and I agree with Eric Plant that he’s probably the best LB we’ve had since joining the FL.

• Players in the Premier League have no weaknesses?

I must be watching the wrong channel on the TV.

For the record JJ is a great player. Long may he continue pinging in those crosses.

• You know what I meant, but if you want to be pedantic let’s say that players with the least number of weaknesses would be playing at the highest level.

• @glasshalffull - I realise I am fighting a losing battle as you will always argue black is white and never admit you are wrong. However your actual words were "defensive play has never been his greatest strength". If he is stronger in other facets of the game why is he played as a defender.

For the avoidance of doubt, I agree JJ has been one of our better players over recent years. However, in the First division his lack of pace is targeted by any opposition team who have speedy wide men.

• I’m sure you knew exactly what I meant, but if you want to dissect every word that’s up to you.

• Incidentally, since you insist on absolute accuracy, it’s called League One not the First Division!

• Just wondering aloud but I wonder if there’s any mileage in looking at JJ in a holding midfielder role as he enters the last few years of his career. Particularly if we reached a point where he was no longer first choice.

He’s such a good, intelligent footballer and team man that I’d hate to see him being dispensed with just because of a lack of pace which meant he struggled against quicker League One forwards.

He’s got all the attributes to play in a defensive midfield role. Good in the air, strong on the deck and a fantastic left foot to spray the ball around and shoot from distance.

It worked for Phillip Lahm!

• When Jason Cousins pace went,Sanchez moved him into the middle of a back five, and he was excellent in that position, and it prolonged his pro career.
    Unfortunately I dont think Joe has the aerial ability or the raw aggression to play that role.

• Sweeper perhaps?

• Yes Jason was brilliant in that role, should never have been released so young.

To be honest, that’s why I made the point about JJ, I’d hate to see his Wycombe career fade away when he’s so much to offer.

I agree a move to a more central defensive role won’t work. It did for Jason because he was one of the best timers of a header you’ll ever see. I think Joe could play just in front of the back four though as natural pace is less important in that role and the attributes he does have would be well suited.

Imagine the number of shots he’d get in!!

• I’ve always thought we had the personnel to play a back 3 with wing backs...say, Jombati, Stewart and El Abd in defence with McCarthy (Grimmer?) and JJ as wing backs. If JJ had the licence to get forward more often there’s plenty of mileage left in him yet. He’s also pretty useful in the air for his height but ChasHarps could be right about needing more aggression in the centre of defence. Cousins certainly wasn’t lacking in that department!

• The way the > @TheatreOfChairs said:

Yes Jason was brilliant in that role, should never have been released so young.

To be honest, that’s why I made the point about JJ, I’d hate to see his Wycombe career fade away when he’s so much to offer.

I agree a move to a more central defensive role won’t work. It did for Jason because he was one of the best timers of a header you’ll ever see. I think Joe could play just in front of the back four though as natural pace is less important in that role and the attributes he does have would be well suited.

Imagine the number of shots he’d get in!!

Jason rarely mistimed any header,tackle,block unless he wanted to !!
    Normally so he could have a small piece of his opponent.
    One of the Wanderers finest ever defenders.