Skip to content

Match day thread: Blackpool

Comments

• @Midlander shouldn't complain about a point away from home, no matter how it comes about.

• In the context of the game, I agree. In the context of the season, I don’t. That could be a very valuable point against a team with a strong home record and it means we’ve taken 10 out of the last 12 points at stake. No one should complain about that.

• edited January 2019

@mooneyman said:
    How was our cheating?

We were treated to a repeat of Allsop’s leg flailing repertoire after an ‘unfair’ challenge in the first half

• And arseholes yellow card for time wasting tut tut

• And only 10 added minutes overall, I suppose once arsehole was carded he couldn’t display his full repertoire of cheating

• Those results must Plymouth right back in it at the bottom. Oh well...

• Just back in now, good point away from home, we never really created much tonight in open play which was disappointing, but keeps the unbeaten run going with a winnable game at home Saturday.

Agree with the couple of posters who mentioned Samuel , thought he was decent tonight.

• Shame we couldn't hold on but almost everyone would have been happy with a point at 7.45. Those unfairly berating PCH were probably criticising him for lack of tracking back in the past.

Our last four goals from corners!

IFollow was excellent in every way, a perfect example, on a work and school night, where it can only add to the fan experience and with almost zero impact on the attendance.

• Great point away from home

• Freeman, although coming on leaps and bounds, needs to improve in front of goal - two chances to score tonight

• I’ve always been a fan of PCH but his performances can be a bit “Jekyll and Hyde” - sometimes within the same game, as we saw last night - and the two-handed push on a defender (early in the second half ?) when going nowhere was typical of his occasional inexplicable lapses. Likewise, the kicking away of the ball that earned him a yellow card.

Incidentally, that was JJ’s second yellow in consecutive games. Is he close to suspension? With Michael Harriman’s position (very sadly) unclear, that would not be welcome although I suppose that could mean the ever-impressive Sido Jombati moving across and Anthony Stewart getting a welcome opportunity at centre back.

• I thought Samuel was a bit off the pace, bottling the fifty fifties

• It was never going to be a great game on a pitch like that. What an absolute shambles Blackpool has become as a club. Really feel for the fans.

On a more positive note, first experience of iFollow was great. Great picture quality and @bluntphil's always excellent commentary loud and clear compared to the dreadful MW quality I normally have to put up with on the wrong side of the Chilterns.

Is that our first straight from a corner goal since Dave Farrell at Oxford?

• iFollow coverage was very good, especially as it was free for me, and some others it appears. I will make up the £8 the club have lost by buying an equivalent amount of 50/50 tickets on Saturday.

• @micra PCH wasn't carded for kicking the ball away, the ref appeared to reach for it but didn't actually produce it.

• im suprised no one is questioning our keeper on their first goal, strangely made no attempt to move along his line as the corner was swung intowards the front post. Its almost as if he wasn't looking.

• edited January 2019

Phil's commentary was excellent as ever, but the co-commentator's penchant for reminiscing and telling not-very-interesting-unless-you-were-there stories of global travel while dangerous attacks were building became quite annoying after a while. "Ah, Johnny Granville, eh? Great days..." (Jumpers for goalposts...two at the back, three in the middle, four up front - one's gone home for his tea... Beans on toast? Possibly - don't quote me on that...Marvellous.... isn't it?...aren't they?)

• Co-commentator was Tim Peach, 5Live producer who covers mainly cricket and the Olympics but is a WW fan. Definitely was quite a lot of 'When I was in...'

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Phil's commentary was excellent as ever, but the co-commentator's penchant for reminiscing and telling not-very-interesting-unless-you-were-there stories of global travel while dangerous attacks were building became quite annoying after a while. "Ah, Johnny Granville, eh? Great days..." (Jumpers for goalposts...two at the back, three in the middle, four up front - one's gone home for his tea... Beans on toast? Possibly - don't quote me on that...Marvellous.... isn't it?...aren't they?)

I couldn't disagree more, I though it was great. Gave a real TMS feel to the commentary.

I loved it

• @LeedsBlue said:

Didn’t he say he was involved in covering cricket? It sounded to me like he was in test match mode, where the game is an afterthought.

• edited January 2019

@eric_plant Test Match Special and a commentary of a game of football are very different beasts.

Nothing wrong with a good chin-wag about being in Nagpur when Wycombe played Spurs, over a piece of chocolate cake during the lunch break at the test match, but I'd rather know the details of the latest attack (which I can't see, and can only guess from the excited tone of the crowd), than the fact that there's "a family I know in Brisbane who support the Wanderers". I lost count of the number of times Phil had to cut him off because someone was about to shoot. I'd have preferred to have understood how the ball got into the box in the first place. As someone working in Radio, he ought to be aware of that basic requirement. Let's face it, there is enough 'ball out of play' time in a WW match for all his anecdotes, without needing to talk over every through ball.

Not that I'm jealous of his job or anything...! smiley face

• All very subjective of course, but I think Leeds Blue has a valid point.

• I was thinking the same thing Leeds Blue.

• Also surprised that we haven’t had a barrage of posts from Blackpool fans complaining about time wasting, feigning injuries etc or comments from their manager about anti-football.

• Blackpool fans have other things to worry about

• So should Plymouth fans (& manager) but it hasn’t stopped them!

• To compare the woes that Blackpool fans have faced and still face to those of Plymouth's, on field lge position is pretty ridiculous, but then again ive just seen who posted the comment !!

• Shame that some people have a sense of humour failure from time to time. If I was to respond to every ‘ridiculous’ comment made by certain posters there wouldn’t be enough hours in the day.

• Im sure you count invent some extra hours, or may be a time machine to go alongside your clapometre that you used for your imaginairy 'Standing ovations' in the past.

• Sorry could not count.