Skip to content

Randell Williams joins Exeter City

Comments

• Rule 102 - ah, that well-known hindrance to progress.

• If our efforts to lure one of the loanees back rested on a choice between Fred and Randell my own preference would very definitely be the former.

• For those that don't know rule 102.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Rule102.html

• Wow. Did not see that one coming!

A little disappointed perhaps, particularly as he's opted to drop a division to sign for a club that presumably has just as few pennies as we do (which makes me wonder if we even came in for him), but as others have already said, he wasn't exactly a regular starter
    and we do have decent wide options already.

Like Micra, given the choice between Randell and Fred, it's Fred every time, so lets keep our fingers crossed. It's possible we have no money to bring anyone in, but I prefer to think/hope that we're saving our pennies for a permanent deal for Fred.

Best of luck to Williams and even though their fans are a bit whiney I hope Exeter come up.

• @Jonny_King I would suggest they have a LOT MORE pennies than us. Exeter get proper fees for their players.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44039226

• Oh yeah, I forgot about him.

• edited January 2019

Everyone has a lot more pennies than us. Joint lowest budget in L1with Accrington according to Mr Holt on the BBC the other week and I reckon some of the L2 clubs have got more moolah than us. But I agree we might need a midfielder and/or uninjured central defender more than than a wide player/forward. I never liked Rule 102.

• I’m in favour of putting a further charge on the stadium to get Fred. Just putting it out there!!

• @TrueBlu put it back in again.

• I think he probably has more potential than fred, should get plenty of game time there and be expected to perform, good luck to him.
    We are after players who aren't wanted elsewhere, that's our thing now and we do it well. No issues with that. Will serve us well. Have yet to see any indication our American friends are set to unleash the contents of a hedge fund if they do take over.

• @grecianmax said:
    Fans-owned club, not totally sure that's true

How are you funding the redeveloped two sides of St James Park ? Always loved the bogs in the away stand !!!

• Will always remember that crucial goal away at Yeovil last year. Good luck to him!

• I thought he looked a good player but a bit in and out of the action. Good luck to him. Now we need PCH to score two goals and assist a few more every game!

• Don't think that GA was too overboard on Rendell. Plenty of potential, maybe we it was decided that the potential in him would take too long to unlock?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It'll be interesting to see Paris and Freeman get a regular run of games, the latter especially.
    I've often thought we had better options than Freeman, so I look forward to him having the chance to properly make his claim now.

A really pure graceful player, never looks to punt it, always finds feet, and in a sort of slow motion has the skill to buy himself time with a feint or a move.
    If he was quick I think he'd be a sensation, but as it is, he has a real chance now.

• I think Nick Freeman is quick, his gliding style is deceptive though. Great step overs and change of pace. His issue is getting his head up and picking the right option: pass, shot, dribble. When he gets it right he is devastating.

• I’m really pleased for Nick Freeman. He is really starting to show his true potential.

There won’t be many on here who remember Bernie Bremer. He played for both the clubs I have supported over the past 55 years - Wealdstone and WW. He was quite a tall lad and gave the impression of being on the slow side but, as with Nick, he had superb balance and composure and was very difficult to stop once he got into his stride. He scored nearly 100 goals in fewer than 300 games, many of them spectacular. My recollection was that he remained a wide player for the whole of his career although historical documents I’ve just seen suggest that he became more of a midfielder. Either way, he was a delight to watch and I was chuffed to bits when, having switched my allegiance to WW, both he and his Wealdstone team-mate John Hutchinson transferred to Loakes Park.

The incredible finish to last Saturday’s game reminded me of a match at Lower Mead against Stevenage in the third qualifying round of the FA Cup in 1965. Wealdstone were losing 5-3 with less than ten minutes to go. They won 6-5! The local ‘paper report referred to Stevenage’s “brutal” tackling. Plus ça change and all that.

• Quick nip down memory lane . I remember signing Bernie the Bolt,John Hutchinson and the legend Keith Searle from Wealdstone . Bernie was famous for the occasional 30 yard screamer and once skying a penalty into Wycombe Hospital in a friendly . He also became a legend when he played in goal for 85 minutes in a six pointer at Hendon we won 3-1 and he was carried shoulder high off the pitch by the fans after the game .

• Very interesting @Mr67. I was forgetting about “Searley” and Bernie’s inevitable “Bolt” tag. The great Len Worley, who I bumped into on the golf course a few years back (still playing tennis for Bucks over 65s), also played for both clubs.

• One of my all time favourites, Andy Graham, did the double with Wealdstone. Brian Greenaway also played for both.

• Thanks for that @Steve_Peart. I remember Andy Graham well; I remember the Brian Greenaway name but not the person. Haven’t heard anything from @TheAndyGrahamFanClub recently. Hope he/she is OK.

• @micra, Greenaway played for us 87-88, 88-89, 12+12 apps, 2 goals. Played on both wings, I remember him being a really good crosser of the ball.

Made nearly 100 apps for Fulham. Article here, and photo which might jog your memory:
    http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/january/13/memory-lane

• Greenaway, Not the quickest or most committed player ever to don a Wanderers shirt, the fact he often got caught in possession, led to the nickname of Brian Giveaway. Other players to play for both clubs were Sean Norman,Byron Walton,Simon Garner and two that didnt and went onto become Wealdstone heroes were the Booker Hill brothers Alan and Neil Cordice.

• Thanks @Steve_Peart. Yes, the picture certainly jogged my memory. I suppose I can be excused for needing a jog if (have I remembered the stats correctly from half an hour ago?!) he only made 12 appearances for WW.

@ChasHarps, I don’t recall Simon Garner going to Wealdstone but presumably that was before he came to AP. I understood his fallout with Alan Smith ended his professional career in ? 1996 and I loved the story, apocryphal or not, that on one occasion Mr Smith was boasting in the dressing room about how he’d taken Palace up to the Premier League and SG retorted drily “yeah, and brought them straight back down again.”

• No it was after his spell at Adams Park @micra. Me and my Pal went over to Edgware's White lion ground which the 'Stones' were sharing at the time to see Garns play.
    It was a hot day, but we were dissapointed to see Simon go off injured after about 20-25 minutes.
    We went into the clubhouse at half time for a refreshing pint, and there standing at the bar with a half drunk pint was none other than 'Super Simon Garner' himself !!

• Scott McGleish also turned out for both.

• Thanks @ChasHarps, disappointing for you and your mate but a nice story. Hope you managed to get a chat with the great man.

• And so the links go on @Squidge.

• We signed Chris Seagraves from Wealdstone, but he never made a league apearence.