Skip to content

Monday morning training drills

Comments

• Pierre was one of my favourite players to watch in recent years and I’d be over the moon if he came back.

• Yep so would i

• I'm always wary of returning players but I liked Pierre and his style suited us alongside Stewart and then mawson not sure how him and el-abd or him and sido would work out though. But welcome him back I would I think he's probably learned his lesson about shopping at Tesco.

• Love to see a back 4 of Sido Pierre Stewart and jj again we kept a lot more clean sheets.

• The team as a whole were playing more defensively then and at a lower level. We have tended to play more positively over the last couple of years and consequently scored a lot more goals. You can't have it both ways.

• Can't have what both ways?

• I think we could certainly ship less goals than we've done so far this season!

We still don't look that strong when the ball is put in our box, something a Pierre would be a massive help to.

Not that there's anything in this necessarily, but we do have a high amount of players who've left and returned.

• edited January 2019

When Bayo does not play we have no presence in the box both defending corners or taking them. Pierre would be a good addition and I hear he's quite hard as well...

• @Malone said:
    I think we could certainly ship less goals than we've done so far this season!

We still don't look that strong when the ball is put in our box, something a Pierre would be a massive help to.

Not that there's anything in this necessarily, but we do have a high amount of players who've left and returned.

Without wishing to deprive @micra of one of his chief purposes/pleasures in life: fewer.

• No chance Pierre would be welcomed back by a fairly large (and vocal) group.

• They're all arseholes anyway though. I'd make him captain if he came back.

• 18 months left on contract, in the Northampton team and probably on a higher wage than we could afford. How is this supposed to happen?

• Excusez moi @MindlessDrugHoover but it concerns me that you have apparently become aware of activities which give me pleasure and are able to rank them in order of intensity.

@Malone is a good mate (not quite my best mate) and says it as it is without tippy tapping around looking for the mot juste. Not only that, I’ve recently been put firmly in place by @Baldric (who also kindly drew attention to my lack of self-awareness) and I have turned over yet another new leaf.

I could have suggested “large number” for “high amount” but I was anxious not to offend.

• "Large number" is a microaggrssion against small numbers. Or should that be a micra-aggression?

• Should have added that I agree with @DevC especially as Pierre has added goals to his repertoire this season (and stayed fit).

• Just looked back and realised the rumour was not started by club insider hatter richie...so nothing to see here.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    "Large number" is a microaggrssion against small numbers. Or should that be a micra-aggression?

I’d like that.

• I'd love to see Pierre back, but don't think we will.

If he ever did return, he'd maybe get some half-hearted booing from a wordsmith and a dozen of his mates - it would hardly be uproar and would only last until he scored a goal/sent Hylton flying into the advertising hoardings.

• edited January 2019

Less instead of fewer is one I always do in error on the quick.
    More and less are opposites, so if you can have more of something, it always feels a linguistic oddity that fewer, and not less is the preferred version.

Anyhooo..

I stand by high amount though. Dagnab.

As Stewart was welcomed back, after basically giving it the huge "I am", and wasting everyone's time for 6months, Pierre certainly should be.

If the worst is that a group of 10 or so drone army members write a few statuses, and they each all "like" it, who cares!

• Re the original post: I'd have Paris work on running in the right direction after scoring a goal to go ahead. Turning towards half-way rather than towards the crowd is a rookie error that cost him a yellow card on Saturday for timewasting when he and Bayo attempted to remedy the situation by getting from nearly half-way all the way back to the terrace to celebrate/ do up laces/ discuss Brexit.

Full marks to him, however, for getting straight back to half-way after scoring the first, showing a principled understanding of the moral importance of not unduly delaying the flow of a game of association football through the sort of gamesmanship that we see all too often from other, less virtuous teams.

• @braywanderer said:
    Love to see a back 4 of Sido Pierre Stewart and jj again we kept a lot more clean sheets.

It still baffles me to this day how Sido still gets a game! He’s been a liability on numerous occasions and I simply don’t get it. El-Abd was clearly losing patience with him on Saturday!!

You could move McCarthy across to CB and get Harriman back in the side. Or go to 3 at the back...anything to get him out of CB

Sido is such a nice guy one of the most pleasant in that group, but as a CB.....not for me...

• El Abd had an absolute stinker on Saturday, so not sure he should be getting upset with others.
    I think Sido gets a lot of stick that he wouldn't do if he was a different character.

• Sido is unconventional and heart stopping at times but he saved us several times on Saturday, can’t have been easy playing along side Adam having a real mare of a game - rg9wwfc must have been at a different game.

• Sido is a contender for player of the season at the moment. He may not be sturdy nor sensible but he's been excellent at centre half and is forever a joy to watch.

• Sido was better than Adam last week for sure.

• I like to think Sido gives us that bit of continental flair!!

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Sido is a contender for player of the season at the moment. He may not be sturdy nor sensible but he's been excellent at centre half and is forever a joy to watch.

I couldn't agree more @MindlessDrugHoover.

• Sido is basically keeping Stewart out of the team. If GA thought for a minute that switching would improve the team he would do. Sido has been very effective at CB for a couple of seasons now. He also has a good understanding with McCarthey and covers when he gallops forward.

• What were some of you saying about Sido?

• @braywanderer said:
    What were some of you saying about Sido?

Indeed!