Skip to content

Loans

2»

Comments

• In the first half, I seem to remember Bloomers in the central striker position, back to a centre half, receiving the ball. In all his 15 odd years with us, I've never seen that before.

• I thought we were doing well putting pressure on their defence and midfield...but obviously that runs the risk of a break if someone loses/misses the ball. While I remember can I applaud the finger tip save from Rocky early on...looked like a goal to me all the way!

• @eric_plant said:
    Not sure Matt Bloomfield is the man to play just behind the front two personally

I agree a strange selection. Blooms as ever ran around and gave 100% but not a natural no 10 for sure.

• The only thing that is number 10 about Bloomfield is the number on his shirt.

• edited January 2019

@OxfordBlue said:
    The only thing that is number 10 about Bloomfield is the number on his shirt.

Totally spot-on if you mean positional playing, bur absolutely 10/10 for heart and effort.

• We referred to him as Dennis Bloomkamp.

• Bloomfield to me where I stand in the Valley End was playing just behind PCH and Tyson, with no central striker on board. I thought the formation was bizarre and Bloomfield ineffective. As soon as Bayo came on things brightened up considerably.

• Surely it depends what the manager is actually looking for from his number 10?

Yes Blooms is no Steve McGavin in terms of providing a creative spark behind the front man, but is that what Gareth is actually looking for from him?

From what I can see, he’s looking for an advanced midfielder that can press the opposition’s holding midfielder(s) and defenders when they’re in possession and also has the legs to get forward to support the lone front man when we’re attacking (hence why some thought he was playing up front on Saturday).

That’s particularly important if it’s Bayo as Blooms still has the athleticism needed to get up alongside him and go beyond him.

My bet would be, if he stays fit, that we’ll see Matt in that role rather than anyone else for a good deal of our remaining matches this season.