Skip to content

Ainsworth/Reading job

124»

Comments

• Maybe that's it, Eric. Thanks for your as ever fascinating insights.

• British managers should start taking jobs at obscure Portuguese clubs. That would show 'em!

• what are Portuguese crisps like?

• @DevC said:
    Probably true Mooney, but on Reading's case it is hard to understand why Chinese/Thai owners are so keen to appoint unknown Portuguese managers or indeed the Chinese/US owners of Barnsley went for an obscure german.

There is a very tenuous connection between China and Portugal in that Macau was under Portugese control until 1999 when it reverted back to China.

• Mark Hughes will probably get it. A manager with a proven track record of mmmmmm weeeelll....okay I suppose.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Reading may not poach our manager shock. Don't worry...another seat will become vacant soon.

The Old Trafford seat will be available soon!

• @mooneyman can you imagine the January transfer window...a midfield of Pogba, Luke O'Nien and Dominic Gape, JJ brought in at left back and Bayo up front with Lukaku....

• Sounds like a massive improvement to me

• The sad fact is Glazer United are making money hand over fist whether or not they win anything so it is becoming a Mike Ashley/Newcastle situation. Just stay in the Premier League. It's just a business now. Whereas City and Chelski are still rich men's playthings and they want glory. We may only have nowt in the bank, poor quality crisps and the ability to timewaste but it's much more fun. Gareth knows.

• Portuguese crisps @Wendoverman are some of the best in the world - best flavour ? Pepe and Figo - ideally served with a Side o’ Ham Butty.

• @Wendoverman said:
    The sad fact is Glazer United are making money hand over fist whether or not they win anything so it is becoming a Mike Ashley/Newcastle situation. Just stay in the Premier League. It's just a business now. Whereas City and Chelski are still rich men's playthings and they want glory. We may only have nowt in the bank, poor quality crisps and the ability to timewaste but it's much more fun. Gareth knows.

Poor quality crisps are better than no crisps surely?

• Ideally, poor quality crisps that are unavailable.

• Only if the packaging is much improved @EwanHoosaami.

• The seat at Old Trafford is now available. Gazza is on his way!

• “Gazza”. - yuk.

• Reports out of Portugal say obscure Portuguese manager #2 got the job.

He is also said to be amazed that he us getting paid so much just for reading.

• Doesn't he have to do some writing as well!

• Some serious money being lavished on a relatively unknown (over here) manager.

https://www.football.london/reading-fc/jose-gomes-set-take-charge-15585660

Not for one moment giving an opinion on what GA actually does think, but picking up on @DevC’s point it must be frustrating for youngish and moderately successful English managers (no xenophobia intended) in the lower leagues to see appointments like this, which appear to be nothing more than a punt.

• Do people honestly think clubs are shelling out north of 10 million euros on "nothing more than a punt"?

Again, just because you don't know about something it doesn't mean no-one does

• A bit of hyperbole on my part admittedly @eric_plant but he doesn’t have that impressive a track record and the Reading forum people seem a little baffled.

• Depends on how much faith they have in the board to make the right decision I suppose

• Less than we do in ours reading through it. (As an aside lots of complaints about the food at the stadium!!)

• Well let’s just be relieved that we can end the speculation about GA going to Reading. He’s an ambitious manager and I’m sure we’ll lose him one day but let’s enjoy him while he’s still with us. The fashion now is to look overseas for new blood and I share the view that promising young managers in this country are too often overlooked.

• Just in time for a “GA to Sheffield Wednesday” thread.

25/1 shot (same as Mark Hughes, and other merry-go-rounders...)

• The fact that our manager is on the radar for these jobs proves what a great job he’s done and is a slap in the face for the Ainsworth Out brigade.

• I am certain to shed a tear the day he eventually moves on. Managers come and go, but few will have left such a lasting human impression on our club. Long may his reign continue.

• On a positive note.... Gareth has NOT been linked to the Forest job !!!