Skip to content

Ainsworth/Reading job

Comments

• Reading's joint owners are according to Forbes worth about one billion pounds. I would therefore suggest that his wage budget might be a tad higher than ours.

• What worries me most is that Richie is confident he won’t go there

• Preston is another possibility, given his playing history there.

• I’ve always felt that GA has his feet solidly on the ground and that, provided he has an income that enables him and his family to live comfortably, he would rather be managing at a club with a relatively small tight-knit squad that almost invariably pulls together and exceeds expectations than at a bigger club where the size of the squad (and players’ wages) can lead to individual rivalries and unrest. Wishful thinking? Perhaps.

• Gaz is rock n roll

Name me a less rock n roll club than Reading.

No way he goes there

• Stop jinxing it Eric !! Just in case

• @floyd said:
    Reading, along with QPR and Blackburn are the only places I really worry about GA leaving us for. And now Brentford, thanks to @Shev

Glad to be of service, @floyd!

• A less rock n roll club then Reading?
    Erm, the one he's currently at!

• Worst post ever

• True though.

• If you don’t think having to find a new keeper each week isn’t rock ‘n’ roll...

• Allsop rocks.

• Reading isn’t a very inspiring club, but I doubt many other supporters would describe Wycombe as rock and roll either.

• Good morning @OxfordBlue and congratulations to you and @ForeverBlue for correctly forecasting the score yesterday. I deliberated long and hard about switching from 2-1 to Wycombe to 2-2 but the former felt more likely. I am considering changing my username to @micrablue.

• @micra said:
    Good morning @OxfordBlue and congratulations to you and @ForeverBlue for correctly forecasting the score yesterday. I deliberated long and hard about switching from 2-1 to Wycombe to 2-2 but the former felt more likely. I am considering changing my username to @micrablue.

Thanks!

• Never bought into the Reading hate that a lot have.

• @Malone Quite a few years back, I worked with a lot of Reading supporters, and while some were OK, others had that same superiority complex that we see now with Luton and Oxford fans. This was when they were going toe to toe with us in the third tier. Loved the 5-3 win against them at AP, when Devine scored a hat-trick, and they subbed their keeper at half-time. Some of my colleagues came along that day and sat with me in the Frank Adams, which made the victory all the more sweet.

• http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=185464

Go to pages 51 and 52... they reckon they have more insider knowledge

• Reading would haveto really trust that a manager from a lower league would come in and spend their January money wisely.

• Instead it looks most likely that they will really trust a Portuguese manager with a strikingly bad record and now knowledge of our leagues or player base to spend their January money wisely. Good news for WWFC, less so for GA long term ambitions. Have to say I don't remotely understand the logic.

• I think GA's ambitions will be burnished by a great season in League One @DevC and I've given up trying to work out how people get manager's jobs.

• @DevC said:
    Instead it looks most likely that they will really trust a Portuguese manager with a strikingly bad record and now knowledge of our leagues or player base to spend their January money wisely. Good news for WWFC, less so for GA long term ambitions. Have to say I don't remotely understand the logic.

That "less so for GA long term ambitions", whilst effective trolling as usual is based on absolutely nothing isn't it?

• What I meant Eric was that if the level of club likely to offer GA progression (clubs of the size of reading and Barnsley) now seem to be offering their roles to obscure foreign managers with dubious records rather than lower league managerial talent, that must be bad for GA long term ambitions to manage at a higher level. I have no idea whether specifically Reading's financial and management structure would make that role interesting to him.

I agree though, on this occasion I could have worded it more clearly.

• Reading and Barnsley are not clubs on the same level

You're obsessed with Barnsley

• Broadly I would say they are, Eric.

Am I????

• Foreign owners are more likely to appoint non-British managers.

• Probably true Mooney, but on Reading's case it is hard to understand why Chinese/Thai owners are so keen to appoint unknown Portuguese managers or indeed the Chinese/US owners of Barnsley went for an obscure german.

• Reading may not poach our manager shock. Don't worry...another seat will become vacant soon.

• @DevC said:
    Probably true Mooney, but on Reading's case it is hard to understand why Chinese/Thai owners are so keen to appoint unknown Portuguese managers or indeed the Chinese/US owners of Barnsley went for an obscure german.

Unknown and obscure are relative terms in this context. They might know all about them