Skip to content

Match day thread: Portsmouth

Comments

• Great performance from Gape today after a slightly shaky one against Oxford, and good strength and guile from Fred, especially in the second half.

Fantastic support too throughout the game; what was the deal with the stewards and drummer?

• I thought Sido's huge meltdown strop after being wrongly booked was great theatre

• I thought that's what he was booked for!

• That was a proper GA performance in terms of work rate and organisation, but great also that we did plenty of good attacking and it was by no means backs to the wall. Great effort from everyone but shout-outs to Fred, Scotty and Gape.

Still drying out...

• Great result!

• Credit to JJ for cooly slotting home his pen. I notice he changed is usual low to the right (where the keeper went. Well done to the whole team on a great point, proving we can live with anyone in this league

• @Glenactico said:
    Very good point. I thought we set up well with Kashkett and Fred doing very good work to support the midfield and prevent us being overrun. For the most part Pompey struggled to break us down, with their number five carrying the ball out of defence looking the most dangerous outlet.

Slightly irritating that we didn't do more to stop the goalkeepers fast kicks, which at times left us exposed. Quite a few times we won free kicks to take the pressure off, sent everyone forward and then ended up on the back foot when the keeper was able to release the ball fast. That's how the equaliser we about.

Midfield three had their best game in some time I felt and Pompey had to go to the wings to get round us. Excellent goal from Morris.

Charles looked good on his debut as well.

Could really do with Bayo getting among the goals again. Played well todsy but it just won't go in for him when he does get chances.

Pedantry I know, but Charles made his debut Tuesday v Fulham U21s and he looked good then. I think GA has signed an excellent player there and I believe he will form a fantastic partnership with Anthony Stewart when he returns.

• He did play very well, and Stewart is a very good player, but how well has Sido played since moving to centre half? He's been a revelation.

• I wouldn't totally write off El-Abd yet.

• Agreed

And when you consider Harriman can't get into the team at right back, we're looking pretty good at the back

I really have liked Sido back there in the middle though. He makes us play a lot more I think. Some of the football we played yesterday was very good. Morris in midfield really caught the eye. He is a class footballer and I really hope we can keep him.

Fred was the stand-out though. He would have been anyway for the outstanding work he put in helping out in defence when Pompey had the ball but he was a constant attacking threat. Long before the end they had resorted to fouling him every time he got the ball. They couldn't cope at all.

• There are games that make you so proud of this club. Yesterday was one of those.

This was a club that won the FA Cup just 10 years ago and recently in the Premier League. They are one of the biggest we’ve ever played in a league fixture.

Yet we took the game to them and quite easily could have won it. Bloomfield’s thunderous second half shot was heading straight into top corner before it hit Kashkets head at 1-0. We should have had a penalty when Bloomfield was fouled and could have had another for handball,

Pompey showed their class to get ahead 2-1. But the way we reacted was superb. A most deserved point.

Midfield three were superb especially Morris (who looks even better than O’Nien) and Bloomfield (who seems to be playing the best football of his career). And what a league debut for Charles who looks to be an incredible signing if he can stay fit.

No way will we even be close to a relegation zone if we play even as half well as this in our games.

• Bloomfield's shot was just curling wide, but I agree 100% with every other word

A proud day

• Oh, actually, it was a blatant dive from Bloomfield

Apart from that...

• Yep Blooms shot was going wide.

It was a blatant penalty though

• It really wasn't

• Now what is funny is some Pompey fans claiming the actual penalty wasn't a penalty!

• Blooms has a bad habit of looking to go down once a defender gets near him in the penalty area, there’s no way that was a foul. Mind, he’s never been a particularly prolific finisher so maybe he thinks a penalty is always a better option than a shot!

• Darius Charles seems to have hit the ground running after so long out. Any idea what his injury was?

• edited September 2018

It is a great pleasure that I will never see Wycombe again with that steroids-built fat splodge up front who you hero-worship, the dark arts and cheating of your team and your obnoxious, cowardly wannabe fans.

About time that teams like yours were resigned to the trash-heap of history, where you belong you pikey scum.

• @norse your post has made my day, thank you.

• @norse welcome to the Gasroom!

Always good to get new posters

• edited September 2018

Congratulations on an excellent wind up whoever did this - I can't believe that @norse could possibly be a fan of such a respected, historically quite good and once fan owned club such as Portsmouth - unless he is the young gentleman who couldn't make his mind up whether to stand up or sit down.

• Imagine going from winning the FA Cup, being in the Premiership and playing AC Milan in europe, to registering on the Gasroom just so you can vent your frustrations at not being able beat little Wycombe Wanderers!

I love football.

• Contrast the tripe spouted by Norse with the views of Pompey manager Kenny Jackett who admitted that Wycombe deserved a draw, that it was definitely a penalty and described us as an ‘underrated team’.
    What a shame that some fans-and other managers come to that- can’t show the same dignity towards the opposition.

• @norse said:
    It is a great pleasure that I will never see Wycombe again with that steroids-built fat splodge up front who you hero-worship, the dark arts and cheating of your team and your obnoxious, cowardly wannabe fans.

About time that teams like yours were resigned to the trash-heap of history, where you belong you pikey scum.

Are you the fat, bald plonker sat by the corner flag wearing official kit socks?

• Are you the fat, bald plonker sat by the corner flag wearing official kit socks?

And nothing else.

• I thought @norse was the one ringing the bell

• @norse said:

My god you are a clown. "Pikey scum" i think you mean Southend not a team from Buckinghamshire.

• Good to hear Fred had a good game, as it looked a little harsh on the players he was keeping out for him to get another start.

However, Gaz certainly knows better than us when a player is boiling up to good form.

All seems pretty positive at the moment, we just need that points column looking a bit tidier.

• edited September 2018

I think Norse is the bloke with the tattoos and top hat.