Skip to content

O'Nien off?

Comments

• @Midlands - If a player wants to go then most clubs have little option but to agree, particularly a cash strapped one like ours. You cannot refuse and just let a dissatisfied player run down his contract and leave for nothing. Sunderland are going to walk this division and are, in all but name, a Championship Club. They are a sleeping giant who are now debt free and this is a superb opportunity for Luke which no true Wycombe supporter should begrudge him.

We now have a reputation of bringing on young players (including loanees) and not standing in their way when an opportunity for advancement arrives. This will be an attraction to other youngsters with potential who have been released by Premier/Championship clubs.

Luke has given us three brilliant years and it is only right that he now gives priority to his financial security for the rest of his career.

• Well said.

• @rmjlondon what are the figures then? Break them down for us? If nothing else luke's good fortune has warmed the hearts of the permanently miserable for a few weeks. I do not believe this is the end of the season before it has begun and before the dull drone begins...we're unlikely to win every game and staying up is the main aim for this term in my book. As some of you confidently predicted we would fail last season best keep your powder dry for a bit longer.

• @mooneyman who has said Luke wants to go? He didn’t look like a player who wanted to go on Tuesday night as he flew into challenges. If a club comes in with a paltry offer you do refuse until your asking price is met.

• O Nien is probably looking round the 40,000 Stadium of Light now, cursing that he's on 3-4 times the money and at a beast of a club.

• Midlander, we would all prefer our club to be in a position to turn down six figure offers for a player with one year left on his contract a week before the transfer deadline.

At the moment we are not. Harsh reality is we probably never will be.

Transfer money for Luke Onien (in my view more likely to have been closer to £200k) will pay the salaries of perhaps four of our twenty players this season. Who knows in a couple of years time his sell on may pay another four for another season.

Maybe it shouldn't be this way. But reality is that it is. I am afraid if WWFC is to be your club, you need to get used to it.

• I think Sunderland paid eight million quid for luke, but the crooks bankrolling the club have pocketed it all. Wake up people.

• "trousered it" is the correct term @Wendoverman

• And it should be “wake up sheeple”.

• As I had used 'trousered' in a previous post I thought would show the range of my vocabulary innit though. @mooneyman . @Chris that is just sheer genius.

• Only just.

• Wake up sheeple!

• Obviously we had to take the offer. If Onien has a good season he will probably be starting in the Championship this time next year, which we can't stand in the way of. The potential for a decent sell on looks very good.

My worry if that he was critical to the style of play. He was so quick to snap onto the second ball when we went direct to Bayo. And he covered lots of ground in a midfield that otherwise lacked athleticism. I already felt that we could do with a more physical centre midfield and without Luke I'm even more concerned. So I'm pleased to see we are looking for a direct replacement. Although you don't see that many box to box types now. Central midfielders seem to be coached either to play holding midfield or attacking, rather than both.

Not a criticism of any of the existing players in central midfield. They're all perfectly good but aren't going to do the same job. Bloomfield pushing to get up to try and get onto Bayo's knock downs is probably the closest thing.

• Obviously O'Nien had to go. Who could possibly forget that bad run a couple of years ago when a combination of the intellectually challenged behind the goal looking for someone to blame and red faced angry old men in the stands nostalgic for the good old days of Keith Ryan voted for Lukxit.

Obviously it would be undemocratic in a fan owned club to allow these people to change their minds. Only disappointment is that O'Nien was not made to leave without a deal. We really must learn to respect the will of the purple.

• John Oliver is the best things about America.

• @aloysius said:
    This move marks a real opportunity for Luke. An opportunity to get the chant he deserves.

"Oh, oh, oh
    Sweet Luke O'Nien
    Oh, oh, oh, oh
    Sweet Luke O'Nien"

Other than that I'm desperately sad. Probably my favourite Wycombe player in the few decades I've been supporting the team. Hugely influential, a wonderful footballer and appears to a great guy. They'll love him at Sunderland.

Yes as soon as he scores it'll get the proper Neil Diamond treatment up there. Probably without the

"He's much better than Sam Wood (Sam Wood, Sam Wood, Sam Wood)" bit though

• Oh goodness me, no, @peterparrotface.

While Sweet Caroline would certainly be an upgrade on Luke's current chant, surely the real opportunity is for a rendition of Guns and Roses' Sweet Child O' Mine?

• @Glenactico said:

My worry if that he was critical to the style of play. He was so quick to snap onto the second ball when we went direct to Bayo. And he covered lots of ground in a midfield that otherwise lacked athleticism. I already felt that we could do with a more physical centre midfield and without Luke I'm even more concerned. So I'm pleased to see we are looking for a direct replacement. Although you don't see that many box to box types now. Central midfielders seem to be coached either to play holding midfield or attacking, rather than both.

If we don't sign anyone before Saturday, i'd expect Dom Gape to fill that role, wouldn't you? Gape going box to box, Saunders creating, and Bean or Thompson holding.

• I think we're more likely to see Bloomfield as the short-term like for like replacement for Luke, with Gape keeping the holding role and Saunders doing the creative work. But we probably need two central midfielders in now, one athletic box-to-boxer and one back-up creative.

• edited July 2018

At times last season we were struggling when the ball was put high In our box. Stewart coming back helps, but O Nien going certainly doesn't.

Bean is fairly physical, but surely can't play every week, and a midfield 3 of Gape, Saunders and Bloomfield while solid in many ways, has next to no aerial ability, which isn't ideal at all.

ps I certainly can't remember a time O Nien was in any way a crowd whipping boy!?

• Bean shouldn't be anywhere near starting in League 1. He's barely National League standard. As much as I love the guy as a person, I still can't believe we kept him.

• @WanderingDays said:
    Bean shouldn't be anywhere near starting in League 1. He's barely National League standard. As much as I love the guy as a person, I still can't believe we kept him.

I really don't want to be accused of being negative, but I largely agree with this. Put simply, we've weakened our team compared to last season if we're starting Bean with any regularity.

• @WanderingDays said:
    Bean shouldn't be anywhere near starting in League 1. He's barely National League standard. As much as I love the guy as a person, I still can't believe we kept him.

@WanderingDays - With respect, I value Gareth's judgement of a player's ability above your opinion.

• Hopefully no supporter of> @Jonny_King said:

John Oliver is the best things about America.

Yep

• Interesting snippet from Sunderland website profile suggests that Luton had deal agreed and due to be completed until sunderland came in at last minute.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2018/7/27/17621010/transfer-latest-who-is-luke-onien-the-central-midfielder-that-sunderland-are-about-to-sign

• Yes and he was willing or considered to leave for Luton especially as he was originally from Watford and their historical Rivalry.I’m Surprised he was willing to go to a team in the same league although Sunderland is completely understandable.

• Good. Seeing him turning out for Luton woukd have been awful.

• @OX66 You have to remember that being a footballer is a job. Say you worked for McDonalds and Burger King were offering 50p and hour more - you wouldn't think twice about it

• I would if the Burger King was in Luton!

• Some people can be passionate about their jobs and let that influence their decision.