Skip to content

Comments

• "Friendlies are gash" (copyright the old Gasroom)

• That sparked a debate about the meaning and origin of the word “gash”, as I recall.
    In the ‘fifties, when working with the RAF as a scientific assistant in the Met. Office, I always thought the RAF boys used it to mean “spare”. I think @DevC took issue over that.

Whatever it means, I shall probably be there as I always find it interesting to run the rule over the newbies.

• As far as I am aware I have never had any opinion on the meaning of the word gash in 1950s RAF slang.

Mistaken identity I'm afraid.

• Thank God for that.

• Gash for trolls. 'This lot will be found out in league one.' ' ainsworth will be out by Christmas...'

• In the Navy, gash means 'rubbish'.

• Don't remember that verse

• Sorry to be crude but I’d always assumed it was a euphemism for a vagina (like axe wound). The equivalent of saying friendlies are a load of arse.

• @peterparrotface Well played Sir!

• Home friendlies should be free to ST holders ,we have to pay for pre season friendlies and home league cup games meaning we have paid out for a ST but can hardly use it in July /August

• @Mr67 said:
    Home friendlies should be free to ST holders ,we have to pay for pre season friendlies and home league cup games meaning we have paid out for a ST but can hardly use it in July /August

This is my first year as a full season ticket holder but going on Gasroom threads past, what are the chances of season tickets actually being delivered in July?

• Yes they are delveted well before the start of the season

• @niebieski & @Mr67.

Please read the terms and conditions of the Gasroom. There shall be no mention of season ticket distribution on this forum before the last Tuesday in June.

• I think everything should be free for season ticket holders. And they should send a car to pick us up with a free beer and a pie.

• Gash is Raf speak for spare as well as a few other things mentioned above. Lots of military words such as gopping (horrible) shreddies (boxers) are around creeping into normal language.

• Can I vote for you @Wendoverman?

• For a small donation to my election campaign @bookertease

• We want another trip to France please!!!!

• @OX66 said:
    Gash is Raf speak for spare as well as a few other things mentioned above. Lots of military words such as gopping (horrible) shreddies (boxers) are around creeping into normal language.

My memory cells are clearly still functioning well. Thanks, @ OX66.

PS wrote this yesterday and forgot to post.

• Yes, "gash" always meant spare when I did my turn in the RAF/

• Thanks @wingnut.

• Maidenhead away added on 27th July.

• No doubt Aldershot (A) will be added again as well.

• I don’t know what length of contract Dave Tarpey is on at Barnet but presumably at least two years so he probably has three choices - remain at Barnet; secure release by mutual consent and return to Maidenhead; or, especially as the injury that limited him to just two appearances for Barnet last season (the second for just seven minutes) seems to have been very serious, accept that his senior professional football career is over. I know that he thought long and hard about going full-time in the Football League so it is very sad that things turned out as they did. At the start of last season he’d scored seven goals for Maidenhead in ten games. [The normally reliable Soccerbase site has him down as having scored 77 at an average of 7.7 per game!]

One or two people have suggested that the real star at Maidenhead (and the one who provided Tarpey with most assists) was Harry Pritchard, the left back/wing back. He scored 13 goals himself last season and is only 25. Just a thought. It will be interesting to see how he plays on 27 July.

• Havant and Waterlooville away on July 21st as well now.

• A 'must win'

• @micra, my Maidenhead supporting pal seems to think Mr Pritchard is on his way. Not sure on destination, so let's see if he's even there first.

Don't really follow the assumptions about Tarpey's future. Why would he accept his pro career is over? Players can come back from bad injuries these days, so a bit early to write him off.

• @micra said:

One or two people have suggested that the real star at Maidenhead (and the one who provided Tarpey with most assists) was Harry Pritchard, the left back/wing back. He scored 13 goals himself last season and is only 25. Just a thought. It will be interesting to see how he plays on 27 July.

Sam Barratt has already left Maidenhead for Southend this summer.
    I'd be surprised if Pritchard remained there, I believe he was actually once on our books back in the day.
    Don't recall him standing out in the friendlies the last 2 years mind, and I was looking out for him as I know/know of him.

• He runs a pretty successful bootcamp business, so it'll be interesting what offer either is worth him binning that off, or allows him to combine it

• @clifty04 Larry Pritchard not Harry Pritchard :-)