Skip to content

The Opposition View - Accrington Stanley

WARNING - contains praise for Wycombe Wanderers

http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=525815

Comments

• Well that makes a change both honest clubs and supporters

• Always easier to praise a team when you've just walloped them!

• You know what you're going to get with Wycombe - lovely place and they let you score 4 goals.

• To be fair accy deserved the win

• Makes me proud to be a Wycombe fan reading those comments

• Great gesture by their keeper too

• The praise for the club here makes me feel really proud to be a Wycombe fan.

• Ditto ditto ditto.

• Happy to see Accrington go up. Luton...less so.

• @lukem1 Missed that what did he do?

• I understand that he applauded our fans as he walked back to the tunnel.

• Not available I suppose!

• Doubt it but I'm sure that GA and Andrew Howard will be hard at it looking around.

• He applauded the Valley End, pointed and signalled that we were going up with them. It was indeed a nice touch.

• Decent man good keeper...football at its best.

• Thought he was one of the best opposition keepers we've seen at AP in recent times - couple of excellent saves and commanded his box exceptionally well. I see from Wiki he's only 27 - imagine he has a very bright future ahead of him.

• Any other L2 keepers we should bid for if we get out from under?

• He reminded me a lot of Blackman in terms of height, ability to collect balls, and make outstanding saves

• @WanderingDays said:
    He reminded me a lot of Blackman in terms of height, ability to collect balls, and make outstanding saves

@WanderingDays said:
    He reminded me a lot of Blackman in terms of height, ability to collect balls, and make outstanding saves

Yes. He was top drawer at this level.

• I'm sure Gareth will have learnt the lesson from this season with Brown. I like the guy but it's very clear we can do so much better by going to the big dozen Premier League clubs and pretty much guaranteeing any of their hot goalkeeping prospects a full season in goal in return for the parent club covering the wages. The perfect development opportunity for a fourth or fifth choice top-tier keeper who's outgrown the kids league but has no other option unless they go out on loan. There must be plenty of other Heatons and Blackmans out there who would kill for a season at Wycombe to prove themselves and get a bit of buzz going.

• Saw Aaron Chapman playing a season in the Evo-stik south for Belper Town just a few years back. My old boss was the reserve team manager at Belper then and had nothing but praise for him as an individual as well as a player. They’re my adopted local team for midweek matches and he was the best keeper I’d seen by far at that level.

• 6’8” too.

• Not really in a position to judge but wonder if Brown is being judged fairly. Remember at one stage last season many voices were calling for brown to be recalled and Blackman ditched.

I do think there is merit in the just get a loan GK in plan, but risk too. All kids can have performance dips and loss of confidence, more extreme perhaps than more experienced players and if he's your only GK that's what you are stuck with.

• With the higher ceiling one would get with a Premier League loanee, I think I'd be willing to accept the mistakes that come with the inexperience. I'd say the Blackman of last season would have been a net gain over Browny this season. (And I guess there's a fair chance one might pick up a better quality loanee through being able to offer higher league football.)

• @DevC said:
    Not really in a position to judge but wonder if Brown is being judged fairly. Remember at one stage last season many voices were calling for brown to be recalled and Blackman ditched.

I don’t think ‘many voices’ were calling for this. Just the usual knee-jerkers who swing between wild praise and seething fury on a weekly basis.

• Hardly any in fact

• edited April 2018

Some of the same people were seriously calling for WDH to play over Pierre too.
    That little bandwagon stopped very quickly after the demolition at Luton.

It's a fair assumption that we were trying to get a quality loanee in, as Cheltenham's own manager's comments were along the lines of it was all set up, and then we suddenly started tweaking the deal around before cancelling it.

He's odds on to back there this summer.

• Problem is Blackman Had, arguably, a better regular back four in front of him. Had brownie been behind them or Blackman behind el-abd and whoever isn't dead or dying this year we might view them both differently. If we go up brownie has done his job this year and I would be both glad for him if he left and happy for him to stay.

• To compare Blackman and Brown is ridiculous. Brown is an average standard second division keeper. Blackman is a future regular Premiership keeper (he is the Sheffield United number 1 having played 32 games this season so far) and we are unlikely to get someone as good again.

Our back 4 this season (whoever was playing) would not have looked anywhere near as bad with Blackman behind them.

• Agreed. Blackman is Premiership quality, whilst Brown is Conference standard IMO. Quite literally leagues apart