Skip to content

The Opposition View - Crawley Town

Comments

• I didn’t realise that playing the right way meant dangerous tackles and trying to flick the ball into the goal with your hand. But you live and learn I suppose.

• All I know is, GA could teach Kewell how to "interview the right way".

• You always know what you're going to get with Mr Wycombe. Proud of the players. Experienced heads in the dressing room. Youngsters learning their trade. Improving on points total of last year. He'll learn from that. Little Wycombe. They're a good side. Got a hard game coming up. Then we'll see where we are.

• I think a "we go again" placard hangs above the players entrance. The saddest part of the last game of the season must be the realization that for once, we don't go again.

• We go again in August.

• I do hate that "we go again" phrase. It seems to have caught on for some reason following Gerrard's "for camera" showboating in that huddle a few years ago, when it looked like they were winning the Premier league title.

It should no more have caught on than the "this doesn't slip".

Why anyone listens to any manager's pre or post match comments i don't know. What ar you expecting? Some soothing words after a loss, grandstanding when on the threshold of something?

Just move on to the next game, that's all that matters, not the phoney "talking" game.

• Speaking of football phrases that should never have caught on, my personal bugbear is "he's a top, top player". I first noticed it when Ferguson described Gerrard as not such a player in 2013. It's inane. Either you're top or you're not. Why on earth it has caught on, other than in an ironic way, is totally beyond me.

• That was around way before Fergie.
    A dreadful tv studio concoction.

I really dislike "game management" too which seems to be used every week now.
    I can't recall that before about a year ago.

• "He's made the referee make a decision"
    "He's got to be stronger there"
    "His arm is not in an unnatural position"

• There's a separate list of annoying phrases from the Opposition manager each week.

Usually along the lines of back handed compliments, such as "they're good at what they do", "they put you under pressure", and general comments about game management.

• Wycombe are good at the "dark arts".

• I recall an ATV interview with the great man after a Forest game.
    'Well, Brian, what went wrong there?'
    'They scored more goals...'
    End of interview.

• "early doors", wtf does it even mean?

• edited March 2018

Enough of these soundbites, we need blue-sky thinking!

• He’s got genuine pace.

How many players have fake pace? Artificial pace? Counterfeit pace?

• Did Ben Johnson ever play football?

• he's an impact sub.

• @Twizz. Early doors is the opposite of last knockings.

both are marvellous scenes.

• The final third. Seemed to come from nowhere about ten or twelve years ago.

• OK that's it! In truth I've no real problem with these irritating standard phrases in sport. I'm sure it comes from media training and is just another step in the nanny state/no individualistic thinking/brainless society that we inhabit
    So.... (Oops!)
    A blast at the present language issues I have:
    It's Railway Station not Train Station.
    Railway tracks not train tracks.
    Beginning sentences/answers to questions with "So...":-)
    Rising intonation so that everything sounds like a question.
    "Can I get" not "Please may I have or I'd Like" when said at a bar/restaurant.
    Continue.........
    Grump not over yet.

• ‘Can I get’ is clearer than ‘I’d like’, isn’t it?

In America they say ‘I’m going to do the...’

• That “So” start to answers is so (!) universal (hate “uni” too) that I’m in fear of finding I’ve caught the condition myself. So, anyway, I don’t think it’s an issue (problem) yet.

• "can I get..." is awful

• I’m a Countdown regular (well, I’d have to be, wouldn’t I) and I’m waiting for the day when Rachel says “yeah” (sic) “come and grab one” when some youngster (under 60) says “can I get a vowel?”.

• I thought it was just me that has 'can I get' as an annoying and may I say ugly sounding phrase. Originally I thought it was a younger generation thing but sense it is creeping into more widespread use.

• @ValleyWanderer @micra All of my pet hates in there especially train instead of railway and uni.

My other cringe one is when footballers and managers/commentators say 'the football club' why not just the club? Golfing fraternity are the same 'the golf course' 'the golf ball' 'the golf club'.

Good to start the day with a rant.

• @woodlands said:

Good to start the day with a rant.

Let's hope we don't end it with one. COYB!

• "If anything, he's hit it too well" when a shot goes flying into Row Z. Imbecilic.

• Train and railway I don’t understand at all. What’s the possible confusion if someone says train station?

• @Chris said:
    Train and railway I don’t understand at all. What’s the possible confusion if someone says train station?

I think that one really is age related. And my Irish wife cannot understand why we Brits say roulway!