Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

Comments

• We need VAR. Now

• @glasshalffull Have you seen the highlights? Do you still believe it was a foul after seeing them?

If it had been a Wycombe attacker do you think your opinion would be the same?

• @glasshalffull There are several posters who were at the game who think it wasn't. What's that got to do with it?

@Chris As ever, a voice of reason. :-)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think McGinley hesitated when he should have been more decisive but I also believe that the Cambridge striker (who could have been sent off earlier in the game) threw himself at the Wycombe defender with arms outstretched and in an unnatural position. You can make a case either way but no one can say with certainty that it was or wasn’t a foul. Another referee on another day would have given a free kick.

• Just seen the highlights. Must say initially watching from the Beechdean, my reaction was, "why did the defender hesitate and not steam in full blast"? Roles reversed, that is what El-Abd would have done. After that hesitancy, it allowed the attacker the space to challenge and win the knock down. I didn't particularly feel it was a foul at the time and don't see one now. I hoped the referee would blow for one but wasn't expecting him to. As has been mentioned earlier, I would have been massively upset if it was us scoring a late equaliser and the referee blew for a foul against Bayo in the same scenario.

• McGinley could perhaps have been stronger but was left totally exposed and outnumbered by El-Abd and Scarr who committed themselves further up the pitch.

Brown just stood there and made no attempt at a save.

It was just another collective cock up from the defence.

• The main error was McGinley’s - he should have been able to deal with that ball.

• edited March 2018

Given the standard of defence we have I think we'll need to ensure Bean and Gape both play from now on as two holding midfielders.

I know Bean faces a suspension if he gets another yellow in the Barnet game (the 37th fixture and therefore the cut-off match) but the defence need all the support they can get at the moment. Maybe if it's deemed too much of a risk it's time to start Thompson alongside Gape and see what he can do.

It's probably time to ring the changes up front as well. I'd like to see CMS in the space behind the front two and Kashket start along Akinfenwa in a narrow front two. O'Nien to continue as box to box. Tyson, PCH and or Freeman to be brought on much earlier if things aren't going our way to give us some width in a genuine Plan B.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    we haven't ever been any good at piddling around in the corner.

You can't have seen Dave Carroll play then, a master at keeping it in the corner.
    You're right though we should have been more positive with it with so much additional time to go and players in the box.

• @Vital said:
    McGinley could perhaps have been stronger but was left totally exposed and outnumbered by El-Abd and Scarr who committed themselves further up the pitch.

Brown just stood there and made no attempt at a save.

It was just another collective cock up from the defence.

I was wondering where the CBs were when the goal went in. Poor positioning and challenges from them both left McGinley totally exposed althogh he could have done better

• I thought Gape had a great game always harrying and looking to nick the ball and he did really well recovering after hitting the ground pretty hard he would have been my motm.
    I was expecting Scarr to be subbed he looked like he was struggling so I was a little surprised when JJ came off especially when he looked to be playing closer to his usual best

• After a nights sleep and reflection I still feel we should have won that and had a,couple more goals. I thought Browns save early on was excellent but he was too static for,their goal. Moore looked good but sometimes was Sidoesque in that he was sometimes awol up field. Scarr was,limping in the second half, JJ was off form but McKinley seemed to be a little shy and was being run ragged. I though El Abd had a great game covering the left but he shouldn't have to. BLooms had a great game and O9 was all over the field making some great interceptions and tackles. Bayo is Bayo and does what he does well. It was good to see Tyson start and I thought both him and Paris had a good game, although Paris did seem to give up tracking back on about 75 mins or so. The ref and the added time didn't help and it did seem that players are now using the head injury ruse to stop the game particularly when they lost the ball. Yes the first lad got knocked out and later went off but the subsequent "head" injuries just seemed to be somewhat faked.
    However much better (couldn't be worse) than the Morecombe game so encouraging and we're still fourth with a game in hand.

COYB!

• McGinley has played 3 or 4 games at proper level of football or u23. I’m sure he would never have been so physically put under pressure as he was yesterday and has to learn. As a centre half you have to learn to do the ugly physical stuff and I hope he has learned a lesson again yesterday.

• Having just watched the highlights:

Not a foul, but in the 'seen them given' category.
    Not just McGinley's fault, why was he suddenly faced with 3 Cambridge attackers by himself?
    Why didn't Scott Brown move?

On another day we look like we'd have been 2 or 3 up by that point.

• Bit baffled by the animosity from the Cambridge fans in those comments. More vitriolic than the likes of Col U and Luton.

• @aloysius I’m unsure what you mean about Marcus Bean. He has eight yellow cards in league/fa Cup/league cup. If you get 10 before cut off point after next Saturday you get banned. So it is now impossible for Bean to get banned in that manner.

• @Midlander sorry, I was going by what others said about him being one card away from suspension. Your clarification is most welcome. I hope to see him in the team on Saturday alongside Gape protecting our defence.

• Yes, I too was puzzled by the suggestion that a yellow next Saturday would lead to a suspension for Marcus Bean. The cut off date is today in any case.

Very much agree with @Morris_Ital’s post of 11.27 am. What with a young inexperienced right back, a skipper bludgeoned early on by a player lucky to survive the whole hour and three quarters and a left back seemingly a little out of sorts and perhaps carrying a knock, I was alarmed to see Dan Scarr limping after clearly having sustained an injury very early in the first half. We have been singularly unlucky with injuries to back four players this season and I sincerely hope that Stewart, Harriman and Jombati really are as close to returning as we have been led to believe.

Elsewhere on the pitch we have an abundance of talent and I’m sure the excellent goalscoring form will very soon return.

Gape was magnificent yesterday and my MOTM.

• edited March 2018

@micra the cut off is not today. You're forgetting the Crawley match was postponed.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed Adam has had stitches in his head according to the manager, while Dominic Gape looked out for the count after his brave header to concede the corner.

• @aloysius said:
    micra the cut off is not today. You're forgetting the Crawley match was postponed.

From what one or two on here have been saying, the cut off is based on games played. What I checked online a few weeks ago stated that there was a cut-off on 11 March. Either way, Marcus Bean (if fit!) will be available to play against Barnet and I hope he does. - at left back if necessary. His height is an important factor.

• Appears there are different rules in different leagues, Micra. I suspect you read the wrong one previously.

Conference national and above it is games played. Below that level it's date based.

Either way it is largely irrelevant. The idea that a manager will not play a player for one or two games to avoid a one match ban is ridiculous unless the potential game missed is disproportionately important.

• Also, GA will have his ideas on whom are the best matches for the opposition team in order to achieve the style of play (game plan) he has in mind.....and we're not party to who is really fully fit (even though they may make the bench). Sports Psychology seems way more complex than I can fathom tbh ;-)

• Having seen the highlights I concede it was probably a case of being outmuscled. In real time it looked like Mr elbows of cambs had mugged another one of our defenders though. Still think subs were too late and leaving an injured scarr on for the whole second half was a mistake.

• I think leaving Scarr on in the second half was partly due to him being equally as injured as JJ and we had to wait to see who broke first. I thought Scarr did ok again on Saturday.

McGinley was in a horrible position for the goal. He had done well to track behind the two centre backs and couldn't have imagined both would leave him to go up field and miss the ball. He had a standing start against two strikers running full speed at him. I'm sure he would think he could have done better but I could see how he ended up on the floor with no cover around him to pick up the loose ball.

Our ability to keep a clean sheet is our Achilles heel. It might cost us a chance at promotion but it might also give us a proper rollercoaster ride for the next few weeks.

• edited March 2018

Wasn't it Ikpeazu who won the header against McGinley for the goal, and Ibehre who should have been sent off?

I don't think it was a definite foul, but one that "could have been given". If McGinley hadn't hesitated though he would have either won the ball or definitely been fouled. Not a nice position to find himself in, up against the unit that their striker was, but he's got to put his head in there where it hurts.

• I'm really not sure how he hesitated? He couldn't head it any higher in its flight than he tried to and he was basically stood still and a sitting duck for the moving centre forward.

Of course he could have done better but he was left in a low chance of winning situation by the two centre backs getting sucked up the pitch. Had JJ been on the pitch he would have been in an even worse position but probably would have got a lot for stick.

• I'll rewatch the highlights when I get the chance, but on first viewing I thought he could have attacked it immediately and got something on it before it got over head height

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I think leaving Scarr on in the second half was partly due to him being equally as injured as JJ and we had to wait to see who broke first. I thought Scarr did ok again on Saturday.

McGinley was in a horrible position for the goal. He had done well to track behind the two centre backs and couldn't have imagined both would leave him to go up field and miss the ball. He had a standing start against two strikers running full speed at him. I'm sure he would think he could have done better but I could see how he ended up on the floor with no cover around him to pick up the loose ball.

Our ability to keep a clean sheet is our Achilles heel. It might cost us a chance at promotion but it might also give us a proper rollercoaster ride for the next few weeks.

I think you have described perfectly McGinley’s position and the dilemma it caused him. I still think the Cambridge striker’s charge and the way he knocked McGinley over could have been deemed as a foul.