Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

Comments

• Ainsworth was critical of the ref on 3cr, as much as he could get away with without a fine. He was calling for professional refs . Cambridge had a game plan and it worked but we threw it away with that time wasting before they scored.

• Our defence will cost us promotion this season I fear. We just dont do clean sheets none of them fill me with confidence. We miss Anthony Stewart so much. Also I wish we would make subs early every other team does. Oh well on to Barnet next week gotta try and stay positive atleast we played well today.

• edited March 2018

Blaming the ref is sour grapes. Ikpeazu simply wanted it more than McGinley. I think that is GA protecting his player

If I'd put in a shift like most of our team did today I'd barely be able to look at McGinley for that costly hesitation. Particularly our midfield three who all faught like warriors at times

• Horrible game. So disjointed but apart from the first 10 minutes second half Cambridge didn’t look like scoring. My first impression - from a long way away - was that it looked like a foul on McGinley, but i’d agree he doesn’t inspire confidence at the moment. It was telling that Scarr was limping most of the game and I think would have been subbed if there was an adequate replacement on the bench.

But how on earth did we leave him so exposed in the middle of the pitch when we were sitting back in injury time?

On the positive side I thought there were some fairly good performances out there, just a shame the lack of flow to the game stopped us gelling more

• I cannot understand how we've allowed ourselves half a season without a reserve left back. Gareth Ainsworth's criticism of the referee feels like deflection to me. I also don't understand why we didn't freshen things up in attack until far too late. I thought the manager had learned the lessons from successive slumps in the early months of the new year. I still hope he has. There is time to pull this round. But 1 point from the last three matches, all at home against sides we should expect to beat if we're going for automatic promotion, doesn't feel that way.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @aloysius We do have a reserve left back, it’s Nathan McGinley. Whilst he didn’t look comfortable there today, it’s a position that his parent club list him as playing, in addition to centre back.

• Makes you wonder why Sido wasn't on the bench, given he is apparently back to fitness now.

Would have felt far more comfortable with him coming on than McGinley

• @DJWYC14 I'd agree. McGinley came on for Jacobson against Carlisle and filled in at left back, albeit in different circumstances and for a shorter period. I assume he's happier in the position than Sido.

• Improved show. McGinley Was fouled. But we lost this game because of time-wasting and sadly late subs. I know beano is not a cb but scarr was struggling for the whole second half and Paris seems to lose interest after 70 minutes. Freeman should have been on earlier and kashket for a minute? Why bother. I think teams may be targeting jj as a weak link as all their attacks seemed to have him in their sights and The ref certainly made some strange decisions...but happily we did not lose! Had plenty of chances to win it as usual but game management did us no favours today! Great goal from Bayo though.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Blaming the ref is sour grapes. Ikpeazu simply wanted it more than McGinley. I think that is GA protecting his player

If I'd put in a shift like most of our team did today I'd barely be able to look at McGinley for that costly hesitation. Particularly our midfield three who all faught like warriors at times

I don’t know why you think blaming the ref is sour grapes. Everyone where I sit thought it was a foul and so did some Cambridge fans. It was a game we dominated for long periods and deserved to win.

• I've just seen a replay and there is no foul anywhere to be seen.

If Bayo had been penalised for that we'd all be up in arms.

If McGinley attacked the ball it wouldn't have broke through to the goalscorer, instead he held back

• Just seen highlights. It was never a foul.
    Not sure why Brown completely stopped. He seemed at fault for the goal to me.

• In your opinion. Plenty of people would disagree but that doesn’t make it sour grapes.

• edited March 2018

Couldn't make today, but Bill was doing his nut on the commentary for us not killing the game off when we had the chance. Not going to get too down; we're still fourth, comfortably in the playoffs and keeping touch with the automatics. I'd have taken playoffs at the start of the season, so I'm personally happy - I could be even happier, but I am happy. Glad to hear Blooms had a good game, but bugger me do we need Stewart back. Hope JJ's injury is not serious, or that could seriously screw our season. I'm not panicking, but we need to arrest this mini-slump sooner rather than later (ie, next week).

• Just seen the highlights, and I'd say that definitely was a foul on McGinley (climbed all over him and made no contact with the ball), no matter how pusillanimous McGinley's 'challenge' may have been. If that had been Bayo who'd done that to a dithering opposition defender, no doubt some of our number would have seen no wrong in it, though it was a definite foul.

• Blimey, some people really cannot remove their blinkers

• Never a foul for me. McGinley doesn't make an effort to win the ball. If you penalise the striker for that it's basically a non-contact sport.

• Any centre half with an ounce of desire wins that ball, no wonder Adam Al Abd was incensed.

• edited March 2018

McGinley passively waiting for the ball to hit him doesn't give their man carte blanche to take him out. There's a difference between a genuine physical contest for the ball more and outright taking someone making no attempt to get the ball.
    I'd be surprised if McGinley didn't get a rollicking from Ainsworth and his team mates for that and other challenges he seemingly bottled out of today. Certainly looked like a callow academy player overawed by playing with big nasty lower league cloggers, hopefully we'll get at least Sido back soon to cover JJ at left back.

• Still learning his trade and it's a tough old business learning doing that in League 2. McGinley seemed to shore up the hole in the right hand side (for a while) when he came on so I'm not too down on him overall. It's just part of the story of us being where we are in monetary terms and that's not going to change any time soon.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Blimey, some people really cannot remove their blinkers

No you can’t, can you? It’s called opinions and you clearly have no respect for anyone else’s.

• I wasn't at the game. Just saw highlights. Not even near a foul. To be fair on the lad yes he did hestate going for the initial header but where we're his team mates

• Were.

• Not a foul on McGinley he was simply overpowered by a bigger stronger opposition player. The person more at fault for the goal was El-Abd. With his experience he should know by now which balls on the floor he can reasonably expect to reach first. He dived into the tackle where he could have stayed on his feet and left McGinley in a difficult scenario.

The only blame I can attach to McGinley is perhaps he should have been cynical and punched the ball of the centre forwards head. Inevitable red card but may have preserved all 3 points.

• @LX1 said:
    I wasn't at the game. Just saw highlights. Not even near a foul. To be fair on the lad yes he did hestate going for the initial header but where we're his team mates

Your admission that you weren’t even at the game says it all. Another armchair expert.

• Now who is failing to respect the opinion of others? Gosh, you can be toxic.

• Respect is a two way thing and I’m still waiting for an explanation from this poster as to why he called me a crude four letter word.

• You can see from the highlights that it wasn’t a foul. What’s being at the game got to do with it?

• There are several posters who were at the game that believe it was a foul.