Skip to content

How many more wins?

‘To avoid the play-off lottery, it takes an average of 82.6 points to gain that 3rd automatic promotion spot in League Two, with both Wycombe in 2008/09 and Port Vale in 2012/13 earning the final automatic spot with just 78 points, an EFL-wide low.’ (Courtesy of Sportbox)
7 wins from 13 games seems remarkably achievable but with the top teams all in good form I fear it could be squeaky bum to the bitter end.

Comments

• I think Mansfield are emerging as a form team right now. We may have to match them and Accrington blow for blow. That home game with Accrington on April 21st could be huge. One game at a time though!

• Accrington have a really tough run in I dont think there making top 3.

• I think we will need 85 points this year to secure automatic promotion

• We are averaging 1.87 this season if we carry on like that we will end up with 86 points although our more recent form is a far better average so fingers crossed.

• 3 more wins may well be enough for the play offs, but it's all about the top 3 now isn't it? It seemed an absolute freak that we didn't go up with 84 a few seasons back, but judging by the form of the top sides, it could be a similar season.

• Until yesterday each win we had was matched by the pack behind us. Notts County have had a mini dip to coincide with their cup run but I expect them to get their momentum back. So its really a question of which teams from Accrington to Colchester start to get momentum for all the places for the play offs or automatic.
    With Luton now 'only' five points ahead of us it has become extraordinarily close. I can't recall it being closer in all fairness. You can't really pick out Accrington as being THE fixture as in a week's time Notts County could be THE game or the week after that Lincoln. One game at a time, all cup finals etc etc

• I'm taking it one game at time, starting Saturday again Morecambe have derailed us in the past.........

• The way I see it 20 more points for the play offs 25 more for promotion and 30 for a shot at the title. But I reckon we are currently on course to avoid relegation to the Conference!!

• We owe Morecambe one for derailing us a couple of times in the past.
    That's the only game to think about right now.

Tick those games off. Everything is up for grabs now.

• I keep thinking - (like a lot of the trolls I suspect) - this one will be the banana skin...this one will be the banana skin. Fingers crossed for Morecambe and Coventry. Whatever @DevC says this is a big February! I want us to win the title now...just to upset rmjledbury

• Broken record, I know - but Crawley may be the banana skin. They are becoming play-off contenders from nowhere.

• We will beat them by five

• Crawley still have to play us, Coventry, Swindon, Exeter and Mansfield. I'd rather be us than them, but they could certainly help us by taking a few points off others.

• I'm on crawley at 100/1 promotion. (Two weeks ago 188) if they get in the play offs it's free drinkick in the vere

• I'd like to hope Cheltenham (still to play Luton, Swindon and County) are so embarrassed about their lacklustre display at the weekend they will up their game against the next few teams!!

• I blame Morecambe for everything. If we’d have beaten them three (?) years ago we’d have gone up automatically. Alfie would have stayed. We’d have sold him next season for millions. Paid off all our debts. Had a competitive League 1 budget and got promoted into the Championship.

(Mind you this season would have then been a depressing slide to the bottom so maybe for the best).

But the recent home games against them we have uniformly been awful. Would be nice to end that sequence

• Alfie was on loan wasn't he @bookertease ? Even if we had gone up Brentford would still have sold him to a team with money.

• he moved on a free or nominal fee.

• @Wendoverman ruin my re-writing of history!

• 7 wins, 3 draws and 3 defeats should do it.

• 5 of clubs

• @bookertease That's what I'm here for.