Skip to content

New signing - Randell Williams

Comments

• As Uncle Richie would say, this is a pointless thread.

• It has lost focus somewhat!

• edited March 2018

Yes @micra, the edit facility is a gorgeous facility.

...And I read your post on health issues on a different thread in between, and realised gently scuffling on here really is futile in the scheme of things.

therefore, i'll overlook your misspelling of my name. And wonder why it still linked in what presumably isn't even anyone's name!

ps Iphones are way too hi-tech for me. I might as well be your dad with my ludditism.

• Gotta be honest. I noticed the offending “i” and was about to correct it when I thought “no, Old Malone can be a bit malign at times” , leave it. I enjoy the odd scuffle but, as you say, it’s all a bit pointless in the wider scheme of things.
    Expect we’ll resume hostilities at some point (and do continue to point out when I’m being pompous, unnecessarily pedantic etc etc.)
    Not over keen on the “son” bit though!

• It'll be easier to point out when you AREN'T being those things son. Some of us do have full time jobs!

• I tried.

• As my German teacher used to say “you can take the horse to the water but you can’t make it drink.”

• @Malone said:
    It'll be easier to point out when you AREN'T being those things son. Some of us do have full time jobs!

Some of us are very lucky then.

• @micra said:
    As my German teacher used to say “you can take the horse to the water but you can’t make it drink.”

You can "lead" a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

• Du kannst something ein Pferd zu Wasser, aber du kannst nicht something es trinkt.

• Surprised Herr Micra has not already been along to correct your grammar, Christof.

Du kannst ein pferd zu wasser something(Fuhren), aber du kannst es nicht trinken something (Lassen)

BGK

• Danke

• Bitte

• Spot on @mooneyman. Or should I say “Spot auf”.
    Man kann die Pferde zur Tränke führen, saufen müssen sie selbst.

• too many horses spoil the quoth?

• @mooneyman said:
    You can "lead" a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Or, as Half Man Half Biscuit wisely said, "You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead." (ignoring the fact it's actually graphite in a pencil these days, of course).

• Fascinating or excruciatingly dull depending on your viewpoint fact about pencils is that the useful bit of a pencil never was lead. Back in the 1500s a seam of pure graphite was found in Cumbria and the pencil was invented. At the time scientists incorrectly thought graphite was a form of lead -hence the terminology - but it wasnt.

Interestingly (well ish) until fairly recently the only lead in a pencil was in the paint on the outside - even that is gone now.

• edited March 2018

There are believed to be reserves of 90 million metric tons of graphite in Turkey so we won't be running out of pencils in the near future!

• Isn't there a rule about when a thread starts discussing pencil production it's time to close it?

• 2B or not 2B as the bard once..
    I’ll get my coat

• @Wendoverman said:
    Isn't there a rule about when a thread starts discussing pencil production it's time to close it?

Only when Richie classifies it as pointless!

• Evidence for such a rule seems to be a bit sketchy.

• It seems to be drawing to a close now.
    Your piece about the discovery of a seam of pure graphite in Cumbria was interesting @DevC as we used to go regularly to Keswick and I was aware that there was a pencil museum there but never felt motivated to visit it.

• @mooneyman well he is very sharp.

• This thread is becoming a bit like a broken pencil - pointless.

Talking of dull museums, used to drive past every morning the UK's leading (only?) paperweight museum. I never raised the energy or inclination to go in but rather regretted it when it suddenly closed.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Or, as Half Man Half Biscuit wisely said, "You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead." (ignoring the fact it's actually graphite in a pencil these days, of course).

I think this was originally in a Laurel and Hardy film.

• Anyway...anyone know if young Rendell is any nearer to playing?

• Any excuse to show the great Laurel and Hardy:

• Stan Laurel was once the understudy to Charlie Chaplin