Skip to content

New signing - Tafari Moore

Comments

• Thank goodness for that @Jonny_King !

• I was joking, I'm really going to sing it non-stop.

• I'm a bit bemused why the chant on Saturday and @Jonny_King's (albeit not serious) suggestion call him Taffy.
    Have we had any indication he gets or wants to be called this?

• @clifty04 all things considered it's not the worse thing. Some people in football get called stuff they probably did not want to.

• To the "my garden shed" tune

O Tafari (O Tafari)
    O Tafari (O Tafari)
    Tafari Moore is wonderful
    He's like Messi, but with dreadlocks
    Tafari Moore is wonderful

4th line needs work, but I'm sure someone can think of something better to slot in

• I thought his defending was fine...JJ is not exactly comfortable most of the time either. Great debut.

• @clifty04 , same question, about Gaz, and what you referred to him on your twitter as!

• Bore off

• @clifty04 said:
    I'm a bit bemused why the chant on Saturday and Jonny_King's (albeit not serious) suggestion call him Taffy.
    Have we had any indication he gets or wants to be called this?

I seem to recall that O9 said 'Taff' in referring to him in his interview on iFollow.

• I think Lisa referred to him as Taf on FB. That’s good enough for me.
    Having said that, in the interview with Tafari as a 16 year old, he mentions a nickname his peers gave him at the time but I couldn’t make out what it was. Two things which were abundantly clear from the interview were his maturity and his talent both as a singer and as a dancer.
    What a guy. I think the link to that particular interview is early in this very thread.

He will be leaving Arsenal in the summer and the suggestion was made on one site (which I would dearly like to believe) that he has come to Adams Park to “audition” (sic) for a permanent move. If only.

• The link to the interview with the 16-year-old Taf is by @niebieski on page 7 of the Transfer Window thread.

• Maybe we can allow ourselves a little daydream @micra. If he's out of contract in May and he's a sensible fella, perhaps he can see Wycombe - with our reputation for bringing young talent on and not standing in the way of players moving on when bigger clubs come in for them - as a great way to make his name and build a career that being lost in Arsenal's development squad might not. Easy to think all players simply chase the money but some doubtless see a better way forward. As I say, we can dream. Who thought we'd get Gape permanently?

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Maybe we can allow ourselves a little daydream micra. If he's out of contract in May and he's a sensible fella, perhaps he can see Wycombe - with our reputation for bringing young talent on and not standing in the way of players moving on when bigger clubs come in for them - as a great way to make his name and build a career that being lost in Arsenal's development squad might not. Easy to think all players simply chase the money but some doubtless see a better way forward. As I say, we can dream. Who thought we'd get Gape permanently?

Took the words right out of my mouth

• I’m encouraged in that kind of thinking myself in the light of his evident maturity and religious upbringing (though I confess, at present, to knowing little about Rastafarianism) and, as you say, the care that Wycombe Wanderers take of their young protégés (including a house where they can stay and, inter alia, pick up some culinary skills). The example of Scott Kashket is also testament to how well young players are looked after - cosseted even!

• Shame arguably our highest rated player plays in the same position. I couldn't see Harriman sitting on the bench!

• We can all dream! But if he carries on as he started on Saturday, while he may not walk back into the Arsenal squad, he'll surely be assured of first team football at a club higher up the pyramid that can pay him more than we can. Based on their showing with Scowen and Mawson, Barnsley would be one such club. I rather think there would be others. Let's just appreciate him while we have him!

• @micra said:
    I’m encouraged in that kind of thinking myself in the light of his evident maturity and religious upbringing (though I confess, at present, to knowing little about Rastafarianism) and, as you say, the care that Wycombe Wanderers take of their young protégés (including a house where they can stay and, inter alia, pick up some culinary skills). The example of Scott Kashket is also testament to how well young players are looked after - cosseted even!

Let’s all do our bit by making the lad as welcome as possible and not moaning if he misplaces a pass or gets beaten by an opposing winger. He has played exactly one game in pro football-and what a good game he played!

• @Wig_and_Pen said:
    We can all dream! But if he carries on as he started on Saturday, while he may not walk back into the Arsenal squad, he'll surely be assured of first team football at a club higher up the pyramid that can pay him more than we can. Based on their showing with Scowen and Mawson, Barnsley would be one such club. I rather think there would be others. Let's just appreciate him while we have him!

He won’t walk back into the Arsenal squad. They have already said that he will be leaving in the summer. He might be happy to continue his development with us for a season if, in the meantime, he has played his part in helping us gain promotion.
    Might need a few more folk to chip in to the 500 Club of course.

• He might be offered the chance to play in League One next season of course! If he's in a promotion winning team and getting game time he might choose to stay. He looked an exciting player for our run-in anyway.

• I think our posts (and thoughts) crossed @Wendoverman.

• They’re fair flying around on this guy!

• edited January 2018

I for one am glad @glasshalffull is around to make sure we all behave.

• Don't worry @micra it'll quieten down once Gaz has had a word. In a couple of weeks he'll never venture out from the back and just be launching the ball at Bayo!
    (joke!)

• There are often surprises in transfers as we simply don't know what a player is looking for. If he is a sensible chap he might consider a drop to go higher is the way forward, Wycombe is an environment of little pressure but proven record for player development. The Bayo effect for young players is not to be underestimated as he is the model pro for showing if you maximise what you have you will be rewarded. Young pros will learn so much off of him Tyson, CMS, Bloomers and indeed Stewart that they might feel Wycombe is a safe home to build a career. We will see how he develops with great interest.

• edited January 2018

@micra , I always slightly cringe when I hear a gentleman of your vintage using nicknames like Tools, and now Taf. I still love and appreciate your input though, so don't get me wrong.

Wenger is doing some mad stuff over the last year or 2. "Sabotage" is a bit strong, and used by some of their more "emotional fans", but he's letting that squad get to a very dangerous position.
    Letting two world class players run down to 6months on their contract is incredible, and there are others running out of deal too.

Loaning us a player of Moore's obvious ability is mad as well. He should be at least a division up, arguably two.

• Thanks for the compliment @Malone.
    I only chipped in with the reference to “Taf” because that’s how Lisa Bowker had referred to Tafari Moore in an FB post on Saturday and one or two people had wondered what his nickname was.

I knew Anthony Stewart and Charles Dunne a bit because I used to bump into them whilst shopping in ASDA and, I can’t recall where, but I picked up that Anthony was known as Tools around that time. I wouldn’t dream of addressing him by that name; he and Michael Harriman came into the Woodland Lounge to chat to us on Saturday and I was even a bit shy about calling him Anthony. From what he said, he could be out for quite a few more matches. Michael Harriman said he was now free from pain but couldn’t say how long he’d be out.

• Mr Stewart should suffice.
    Interesting with Harriman. You associate a broken leg with severe pain, but I guess I thought that element quickly goes, and it's the fact it has to heal well that takes so long. If the pain lasts for months, that's quite something.

He has no pressure to get back, probably anything for the rest of this season will be a bonus. If he does get back, we could see him wide midfield like the spell where he scored a number of goals.

• Mr Moore might be an even better fit! He’s magic going forward and diagonally.
    After all the instant adulation what’s the betting he has a ‘mare at Gresty Road?
    Sorry @glasshalffull just a jest, tempered with a hint of realism borne of over 70 years watching the beautiful game.

• edited January 2018

Moore has this morning put a video from the terrace (obviously recorded by someone else) of his song being sung, on his Instagram story saying "The feeling when I heard this on Saturday".
    So he clearly doesn't mind being called Taffy Moore.
    Problem solved.

• I think I saw a tweet from Steve Brown (who coached him at QPR maybe?) referring to him as Taffy as well