Skip to content

Match day thread: Chesterfield

Comments

• I can't come today due to family commitments but COYB!

• Such a strong team and bench. First time (I think) we get to see O'Nien-Saunders-Eze in midfield. I'm excited!

• Fun game so far. I still think we need to settle a little, and hopefully work Eze in to the action more.

• What on earth were we doing with the second half kickoff? Passed back to put our defender under pressure, he then lumped it straight to their keeper!

• O'Nien you beauty!

• We've moved up to 4th and only 2 points off the top 3 after Accrington lost 2-0 at Lincoln.

• Couldn’t make it today (bit under the weather); listened on iFollow which dropped out, at least on my iPhone, for two or three minutes just before Luke’s goal. If I hadn’t seen @Shev’s comment, I’d have been unaware that we’d taken the lead. I don’t think my nerves could have taken the last quarter of an hour if I’d been there. Sets up an intriguing encounter with Coventry next Friday.
    Excellent turnout for mid-December- 4522, including 289 for Chesterfield.

• That is the sort of win that you need to be up there at the end of the season. Not a brilliant performance and a fairly difficult day for the strikers but kept a good clean sheet and came away with the points.

Thought Saunders and Onien were good second half and we benefitted from a bit more pressing. Before the break Chesterfield had a lot of the ball and moved it around well. They had a nice shape that allowed them to get into good attacking positions. Lacked a physical threat in the box though and seemed reluctant or unable to get enough crosses in.

In the end we had more chances and deserved the win.

Not sure what was wrong with Eze today. A total passenger for long periods of the game and wasted a good chance. A brilliant player but pretty useless this afternoon.

• Freezing cold and not a pretty game.
    Chesterfield were stubborn and kept the ball decently in the first half, but we roared out of the blocks in the second half and managed to see it out.

Great strike from O'Nien, and a clean sheet for the dreadful home keeper shirt!

• It made the game a lot easier when we stopped the full backs receiving the ball and allowing them to pass through midfield. Forcing them to play long ball, played to our strengths, getting Sam & Luke on the 2nd ball. Eze was largely anonymous today, Bayo relativy well shackled but as usual gave them plenty to worry about. Felt that it would take a special moment, must confess when Luke pulled the trigger with his left boot I was giving him no chance. Can't remember Brown having a save of any note to make? Sam really worked hard all game as did CMS.
    Overall we deserved the win as they didn't create any chances. Good result without being spectacular. Onwards and upwards. See you at Coventry.

• It is very pleasing to see the El Abd and clean sheet-itis criticisms on the back burner. A sturdier back line could be the tonic for a promotion push. COYB!

• Bit of a grim match but a win and 2 points off 3rd with most of the injuries clearing up in time for the Xmas matches. Happy days.

We are either really bad at playing to Eze's strengths or he's gone off the boil. Either way I'm less worried about him going back in January than I was

• edited December 2017

Bit early to describe it as off the boil after a couple of average games isn't it?

• @Malone said:
    Bit early to describe it as off the boil after a couple of average games isn't it?

Morecambe, Stevenage, today....anonymous at best. I admit when he's been good he's been exceptional but overall not convinced we are significantly stronger with him in the starting 11 right now. Hope im proven wrong in the coming weeks

• Eze is a young lad and consistency comes with experience. He is an exceptional player and I for one would love to keep him until the end of the season.

• Yes he definitely struggled today as he did last week.

Let’s up he finds his form again for what’s left of his time at Wycombe and that it doesn’t just drift away like it did for Fred Onyedinma who went from brilliant to ordinary almost overnight.

I think I’d leave him out at Coventry next Friday. That’ll be a tough fixture and we might need to be a bit more combative through the middle.

May be one for a Luke, Sam and Blooms midfield.

Then bring Eze back in on Boxing Day.

• I agree @TheatreOfChairs - dropping him for a game could be good motivation too.

• Eze pulled out of a couple 50/50 challenges..back to QPR in Jan?

• @Shev said:
    I agree TheatreOfChairs - dropping him for a game could be good motivation too.

“resting” sounds nicer but I agree.

@Aylesburyblue said:
    Eze pulled out of a couple 50/50 challenges..back to QPR in Jan?

Yes, for sure. And he’ll be dropped or rested rather more than he has been here!

• I agree he's had a couple of poor games (and poor is a fair word). As I wrote last week, I see now why he's not in QPR's first team. I can, however, live with this and would be beyond delighted if he were to stay here after January to work through the issues.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I thought our players coped well with a team set up to lay around our narrow formation. Some managers would have made a change but Ainsworth didn't. He seemed content with absorbing a Chesterfield side who looked pretty at times but had no punch and use the smaller amount of possession to create a few decent chances. It worked pretty well.
    Interested to read some criticism of Eze. I thought he did a good job yesterday. As the front man in the midfield three he had to close the space on their holding midfielder and I thought he did that well. He was disciplined but it meant he wasn't looking for space to receive the ball. When he did he looked dangerous but for the most part he took two men away and let Saunders and O'Nein play. I thought it was a big step up in game play from the player who first arrived.
    Overall a good three points for us. I think we might have to find a time to test Bayo really soon though.

• Bearing in mind we may only have Eze for 3 more games i'd suggest talk of resting/dropping him is pretty ridiculous, and we should treasure him while we have him!

The FA Cup veto looks a pretty certain sign that we won't get an extension

• For my money, @Right_in_the_Middle, he needs to work a lot harder defensively than he does and could also make more effort to get on the ball when we have it. Again, be delighted to have him here after January to work on these things, but he has seemed a bit of a luxury player the last two games.

• I thought he worked pretty hard defensively yesterday despite it not being his natural game. I suppose it is another case of different people seeing different things.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

Overall a good three points for us. I think we might have to find a time to test Bayo really soon though.

Think he’s been tasted quite a bit lately and not been found wanting. Reckon you meant ‘rested’. I still think Josh Umerah has the potential to be Bayo’s understudy and it will be interesting to see how he performs post-op, assuming that his loan will be extended.

• And I meant ‘tested’ of course!

• @micra Yes. Rested. We need to give Bayo a chance to still be fit in March and April.

It's all gone very quiet on Josh Umerah hasn't it?

• @fame_46 said:
    Although the game was drab in places, I really enjoyed the win. Sign of a good team when you win when not playing as fluidly as previous weeks.

Got to remember they are one of the forms teams in the division. We excuted our game plan superbly well to grab the 3 points.

Thought the back 5 were great, Brown coming off his line to punch and dominate. Sido and JJ excellent as well. What really pleased me was Stewart and El Abd partnership. Stewart dominant, El Abd was brilliant. Looks like they are really starting to gel together.

Midfield were good, Eze will have the odd off game. It’s difficult with those types of games for him as it was more the physical league 2 game - roll your sleeves up trenches style.

Same for Bayo, Tyson and CMS who all toiled and worked hard. Saunders was terrier like in midfield, chasing and harrying play and unlucky not to score with the free kick. Keeper beat all ends up.

Special mention to LON, goal had been coming. Great to have a box to box midfielder who can chip in with goals like that. He was excellent last week at Stevenage and is hitting form nicely.

Some solid performances for MOM. Think Sido, Stewart, Saunders and LON all in with a shout. Personally though EL Abd for me, dominants captains performance and defensively superb.

Great to see Brownie give a fist pump to the away fans at the end! On to Cov, I’ll take a point - reckon the script is there for Scotty Kashket to come off the bench and score the winner........

COYB

Be careful Fame46, you’re in danger of emulating my glass half full monicker! Seriously, it’s a joy to read such positive comments as this forum can sometimes get bogged down in negativity (mind you, nowhere near as bad as the fans Facebook page). One of the problems with social media is that it tends to be used far more by people who want to complain about someone or something rather than people who want to offer praise.