Skip to content

Wycombe Wanderers Women

Comments

• The Chairgirls have been drawn away to fellow Premier side Abingdon United in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup Quarter Finals on 17 November. They are also their opponents in the League Cup, away on 3 November.

• On Sunday the Chairgirls play their biggest match of the season, a local derby against Chesham United Ladies in the FA Cup 3QR. Kick-off 2pm at The Meadow, Amy Lane, Chesham, HP5 1NE, entrance £2. If you drive up to the ground there should be plenty of parking outside. The clubhouse will no doubt be open and The Meadow has a good surface these days.

The prize money this round is £600 for the winners, who go through to the First Round, and £150 for the losers. Chesham will be favourites of course, they play in the National League Division One South West, one level above Wycombe. Two seasons ago they won Wycombe's current division to win promotion, winning all 16 games. Last season they finished fifth out of eleven. This season they are currently fifth, W3 D1 L2.

As a very rough comparison guide, Chesham lost 5-2 at home on the opening day of the season to leaders Southampton FC, who beat the Chairgirls 6-0 last season in the League Cup at Bisham Abbey.

In the FA Cup Chesham entered in the last round and won 4-0 at Abingdon Town, who are two levels below.

This will be a very hard match for the Chairgirls but they have improved since last season. They have a very good defence and midfield, and plenty of attacking options. It is a match they can win if they play at their best, self-belief will be key I think.

I know I keep badgering Gasroomers to come and watch them play, I don't think I have persuaded any yet, but I know several newcomers who are going to watch this tie. If you have been thinking, I must get along to one of their games, this is the one!

The forecast is bright and dry on Sunday, hopefully the pitch will dry out after tomorrow's rain, Chesham United men are playing away tomorrow.

No games this weekend for the other two teams, the Dev team have been drawn away to Buckingham Athletic in the B & B Junior Cup last 16, on 17 November.

• HT Chesham 2-0 Chairgirls

Chesham took the lead on 4 minutes when keeper Amy Vatkin spilled the ball and the home team had an easy tap on. Amy made up for it with a fantastic point blank save in a one on one just after, and made other good saves. Sarah Harrison and Tara Woodward have had long range shots well saved, Tara also nearly scored when their keeper made a mess of a clearance, Emily Holmes won the ball but Tara just put it wide.

The second goal came on 30 minutes, the Chesham player allowed to run unchallenged from near the halfway line, into the box and score close in.

In a pretty even game, Chesham are building attacks from midfield whereas the Chairgirls are more relying on attacks on the break, and long passes up front. A good crowd here, not far off 200 and many Wanderers fans. The pitch looks excellent, firm and smooth.

• FT Chesham 3-0 Chairgirls.

A quieter second half by both teams, Chesham grazed the bar with a header just after the break but Wycombe kept them at bay until the third goal on 82 minutes, good work by the left winger to give a tap in to the striker.

The Chairgirls didn't really test the keeper in the second half but they can be proud of their effort against the higher ranked team. Overall it was a fair result. I think they missed Lindsay Pinker in midfield, who I presume was cup-tied. It's been a good cup run and they've banked a very welcome £1360.

Next Sunday the Chairgirls are away to Abingdon United in the League Cup.

• The main takeaway for me today was that Wycombe Ladies need to play home games in a proper ground with facilities. The attendance of 160 was probably nearer 200 with all the children running about, and a lot were Wycombe fans who I have never seen at home games.

3G pitches may be good for the players, an even surface which guarantees the match is on, but it cannot be the long term answer if the club want to attract and grow their base support. There are no facilities and the spectator view is poor.

Finding a suitable home has always been a problem for the Chairgirls, I think Lane End and Stoke Poges have been homes in the past. I'm sure there have been others. MK Dons Women play all home games at Stadium MK. We know that Adams Park is out of the question at present, at least while Reading Women are playing there. I hope at least one game there will be possible this season, I'm sure the new management team understand that many young girls regularly watching the Ladies and their youth teams, will also want to watch the men's matches. A Ladies match at Adams Park would really spark that interest.

Maybe the answer is to find a local non-league club who could be that home, or even be partners, maybe with some financial help from WWFC. Chesham Ladies have such a partnership this season with Holmer Green, fielding a joint team at Watchet Lane.

It all comes down to what ambitions WWLFC have. It is their club, they play on an amateur basis, they put a lot of time and effort into making their club a success, so I wouldn't want be be presumptious and say what they should do. I will say that I really enjoy watching them play, and I think others will do too, if they can watch from a decent ground.

• Were any Gasroomers there today, if so, what did you think of it?

• On Sunday, if the pitch dries out, the Chairgirls make the first of two trips to Abingdon United this month, for a league cup tie. Kick-off 2pm at The Northcourt OX14 1PL.

Last season United did the league double over Wycombe, 2-1 at their place and 2-0 at Flackwell.

• FT Abingdon Utd 1-1 Chairgirls 1, Abingdon won on pens (4-3 I think, two saved by Abingdon keeper, one by Amy Batkin).

I wasn't there but Sam Jackson scored with an amazing free kick, not for the first time, just before the break. United equalised on 49 minutes.

Sam's goal:

You can view several other videos of the game on @wycombeladies.

Hard luck Chairgirls, very disappointing to lose on penalties but it sounds like it was a very close match.

Next week there is no match scheduled, the league match at Bournemouth has been been called off due to their league Cup commitment. The Dev and U18 sides had no match this weekend.

• Just the Development team in action this weekend, in the league earning a good 1-1 draw at Abingdon Town today, Chloe Ball with the goal.

A set of photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/simongodfreyuk/sets/72157711725565811/

• It's back to Abingdon United for the Chairgirls on Sunday, in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup Quarter Final. KO 2pm at The Northcourt, Abingdon, OX14 1PL.

At the same time the Development team are at Buckingham Athletic in the B & B Junior Cup, the U18s are at Moretonville in the league tomorrow.

This weekend is Women's Football Weekend, an FA initiative with Super League derbies being played at big stadiums. Reading Women take on Bristol City at the Madejski on Sunday, so our pitch will get a break ahead of the two games in midweek.

• Due to a waterlogged pitch at Buckingham, the Dev team will now play the match at home, at the the ASM Stadium, Thame. Which is a shame as I planned to pop along to Buckingham after watching the Tranmere game on TV.

The U18s game has also been called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

• FT Abingdon Utd 1-2 Chairgirls

Goals from Chante Inniss (3) and Sam Jackson (53), Abingdon pulled one back on 83. This is an impressive win, after losing to United three times, a real psychological boost.

Match stats:

Downloadable programme: https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/files.pitchero.com/clubs/6477/VYuzJDNWSRVjjGNN60wd_Abingdon+prog+WycombeW+cup.pdf

The Dev team also won their B & B Junior Cup match 5-0 against Buckingham Athletic. What a day, three Wanderers teams all win!

• https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2019/november/ladies-earn-abingdon-revenge/

Next Sunday the Chairgirls host Tilehurst Panthers from SRWFL Div 1, in the Chairman's Cup.

• The Chairgirls continue their run of cup matches on Sunday, at home to Tilehurst Panthers in the Chairman's Cup. Kick-off 2pm at Bucks College Group Wycombe Campus, Spring Lane, Flackwell Heath, HP10 9HE

Tilehurst play in the SRWFL Div 1 and have a league record of W1 D1 L4.

The Development team are at New Milton Town in the league.

No public announcement yet on the draws in the B & B Senior and Junior Cups, even though they were drawn earlier this week I am reliably informed. Strange.

• HT Chairgirls 6-0 Tilehurst Panthers, Sarah Harrison, Chante Inniss (3), Sam Jackson (2). Clinical finishing.

• FT Chairgirls 11-1 Tilehurst Panthers

Harrison, Inniss (3), Jackson (4), Bagshaw, Hudson, Woodward.

Sam Jackson made it 7-0 just after the break but the Panthers scored just after and then did well to keep Wycombe at bay for a long period. More goals eventually came, including an excellent long ranger by captain Bagshaw, helped by Tilehurst having two players sin binned on 76 mins, for 10 minutes. It wasn't clear why but the ref appeared to be looking at the team sheet. Some videos to follow later.

• The Development team has a very good 3-0 win today at New Milton. The U18s had no game yesterday, their opponents couldn't raise a team.

Next Sunday the Chairgirls travel to Warsash Wasps in the SRWFL Premier Division.

• edited November 2019

Coming up on Sunday.

The Chairgirls make the long trip to the South Coast to take on Warsash Wasps in the league. Wasps are currently bottom, W0 D1 L5, F5 A 33, and lost 6-0 at Ascot United last Sunday.

The Dev team take on AFC Bournemouth CST Dev at the ASM Stadium, Thame.

The U18s have no fixture tomorrow.

• Correction, the U18s are at home on Saturday in the league Cup, against Thatcham Tornadoes. 10:30 at the ASM Stadium, Thame.

• The Warsash game tomorrow is off, pitch not playable. Next Sunday the Chairgirls face Abingdon United at home in the league.

Congratulations to the U18s in beating a strong Thatcham 1-0 today in the league cup. Hollie Carter scored the goal.

• The Dev team drew 2-2 with Bournemouth at the ASM today, after trailing 2-0 at half-time. Goals from Lily and Frankie.

• The Berks & Bucks draws have been released. In the Womens Senior Cup Semi-Final, the Chairgirls are at home to Maidenhead United. MK Dons host Chesham United in the other tie.

In the Womens Junior Cup Quarter-Final, the Development team are at home to Milton United. Both rounds to be played on Sunday 19 January.

• If you are suffering withdrawal symptoms from seeing the quartered shirts in action, then get yourself down to Flackwell on Sunday afternoon. The Chairgirls take on Abingdon United for the third time this season, this time in the league. Two close cups games saw the teams win one game each, the next game is bound to be another very tight affair, it should be a good game to watch.

KO 2pm at Bucks College Group Wycombe Campus, Spring Lane, Flackwell Heath, HP10 9HE.

The Development team travel to Southampton Women's Reserves in the league on Sunday, the U18s go to Chesham United tomorrow for a league game.

• HT Chairgirls 0-0 Abington Utd.

Very even game, a midfield battle, little goalmouth action so far.