Skip to content

Hate to be the 1st, but potential new loan signing

Comments

• If we're really considering bringing him in on loan that would presumably mean Brown was off.

I'd rather have Brown if he wants to stay - not all young goalkeepers are as good as Blackman.

• Perhaps Baz has decided to finally hang up his gloves. If so, we can't really risk just having one keeper in the event of suspension/injury.

• I don't see why a goalkeeper would come to us on loan in order to sit on the bench.

• @Chris said:
    I don't see why a goalkeeper would come to us on loan in order to sit on the bench.

Maybe loan Brown to Cheltenham again with a 24 hour recall, and get another young keeper in on loan to be our No 1

• edited May 2017

@Chris - You don't have to nominate your number one keeper at the start of the season, just let the two fight it out for the spot. Now we are not in so desperate a financial state we can probably afford to have two proper goalkeepers registered.

• What would be the point of signing Brown on a 2 year contract then letting him go out on loan yet again? There are a lot worse keepers in League 2 but to bring in another keeper as number 1 is stupid when Brown says he wants to play for Wycombe next season even though his old club Cheltenham want to sign him for next season.

• I think the problem lies with our extremely narrow pitch. Brown is very much a "stay at home" keeper with outstanding reflexes and handling. But the width of our pitch is very inviting for anyone with a half decent throw to launch one into the mixer.
    The easiest solution is to return the pitch to its original size, where we can then have some expansive wing play.
    Don't hold out much hope for this while Mr Ainsworth is at the helm.

• Things change @robin .
    No-one quite knows if he was signed originally as first choice and his pretty bad injury changed things, or whether we were always after a quality loanee.

Clearly if we've now decided we can do better, it makes sense to get someone to cover his wages if he won't be first choice.

• goalkeepers are only good if the width of the pitch it right lol

• Brown deserves a chance would like us to sign an understudy though.

• @StrongestTeam Haven't Chelsea released him? I thought they had?

• He isn't out of contract, so why would they release him?

• @Malone They need the money and the rumoured £13K a week will possibly cover the on-site hairdresser bill for players and WAGS?

• They wouldn't save 13k a week though would they, as he's not going to write off almost 700k for a year's wages.

• He might, if we offer him a 5 year contract on £15k per week!!!

• @Malone #justathrowayjest!

• If reports are true Blackman holds a contract worth £1.3m expiring in 2019 after he is 25.

if Chelsea do not believe he will ever make it for him and accept there is no way they can sell him with that contract in place (why would Blackman accept), they are in a bit of a bind. They have to pay the money and have all the hassle of looking after a player who will never play for them.

Blackman is also in a bit of a bind. Chelsea can play hardball and refuse to loan him out leaving him rotting for a coupe of years or agree to only loan him out to Grimsby or Carlisle where Blackman may not want to live.

So maybe it suits both sides for Chelsea to buy him out of his contract for say £900k upfront, Blackman earns whatever he can for two years and plays where he chooses. (If I vaguely remember correctly Chelsea also save £130k NI).

It may well not happen but its possible. its then possible but unlikely that Blackman may choose to join us.

• Why would Chelsea loan him out to L2 teams after a decent season? He will be loaned out to a L1 or Championship team next season. Or take a £1 million pound pay cut to join Wycombe, of course.

• Saunders was meant to be on something mad like 8k a week at Brentford, and managed to cut a deal with Brentford so that he could come to us on surely at maximum 1/4 of that deal. Clearly a different end of his career to Blackman though and a shorter deal left there.

Blackman surely would attract interest higher up the chain, but you never know, maybe not as a starter. He might end up in Ingram's boat, a backup in the championship.

As for Ingram, he definitely needed to go, but it's a shame he's ended up at a club where the first choice is only about 3 years older. That's an awkward one.

• Ingram has barely played a game since leaving such a waste wish he had stayed.

• Yup. Zero league games this season, I believe, and a couple of cup games. Can't be good for his development.

• That's a real shame. Another year like that and he will probably have to look down the leagues to get going again.

• Smithies rumoured to be Huddersfield bound if they win their playoff.