Skip to content

who do we need to sign in the window ...........

Interested to hear what people think about this as yesterday we looked leggy and weary and with the way we play some extra fresh players maybe needed.

Comments

• In my view would be a waste of limited financial resources. The likes of Muller, DeHaviland, Bean, McGinn, Freeman, Wood etc have played very few games. Even Thompson can't say he is tired from the limited minutes recently. If we got anyone else in they would have to be BETTER than the players I have mentioned. Can we realistically do this?

• Cover for Pierre (probably a loan). Get PCH on a permanent and I think we could use another (attacking) central midfielder. That's probably as far as our money will stretch - although I wish we had some proper cover at left back, I doubt GA will spend his few pennies on bringing in a squad player.

• Saunders ???

• According to UEFA rules, If we wait until the 3rd window we can get two players in.

• Tie up Paris to a permanent and that would be it is think..

• The only area we are genuinely light is left back. If Jacobson succumbed to a long term injury while Harriman and Bloomfield are out it's hard to work out how we'd accommodate it. I guess put Wood in there, then McGinn or Hayes attacking midfield? Or move O'Nien to attacking midfield and have Gape and Bean behind him? Or Sido to left back, Stewart to right back and Muller into central defence? Actually, forget what I wrote, there's plenty of options. So we probably only need to make PCH permanent and then we're done.

• It'd be good to have some idea of when Southwell might be back. Obviously he's unlikely to be fully up to speed straight away but a potential goalscoring alternative would be very welcome as we get to the two games a week stage of the season.

• I think we will sign at least 3 players before end of Jan, Andrew Howard said there is money to spend on players on 5 live.

• @LX1 - Not if we had signed one in the first window. Would have to wait for the fourth window.

• I think we will do more than just sign PCH. Don't forget we've got over £60k from the 500 fund, minus what's gone on the new deals/extensions for Blackman, Gape and Kashket. Plus GA might get some of the money from our cup runs to spend.

If Pierre goes, another CB is surely a must and with Blooms injured, Rowe out on loan and McGinn not even getting a game in the Checkatrade anymore, we suddenly look very light in CM.

Saunders would be a hell of a signing. I see he hasn't played for Brentford since October, so he's either out of favour or injured. He may well feel he has unfinished business here and has previously expressed a desire to have another crack at playing at Wembley, which he may well achieve if he comes to us. Wages could be a sticking point of course, but imagine that quality in the middle of the park? I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

The consequences of an injury to Jacobson (especially while Harriman's still out) could be disastrous. Wood filling in at LB with Bean in midfield (or a recall for Rowe) would be the best option, but hardly ideal. However, signing a backup left back will probably have to wait till the summer.

I also wouldn't be surprised if GA looks to bring in another striker, with Southwell going out on loan to regain his fitness/sharpness. No offence to Thompson, but he is not a striker.

• If Harriman won't be back soon I would like to see a good right back come in, maybe on loan from a higher league team, to play instead of Sido. Weak link in our current team IMO.

• @Uncle_T said:
    If Harriman won't be back soon I would like to see a good right back come in, maybe on loan from a higher league team, to play instead of Sido. Weak link in our current team IMO.

Sido is an "interesting" character both on and off the pitch and, to me, leaves his area of the pitch exposed rather too often.
    Michael Harriman misheard something I asked him yesterday. I said "how long is it since you picked up your injury? Three weeks?" He thought I was asking him how soon he would be back and replied "I hope it will be sooner than that" so it sounds as if he could be in the squad for the Spurs game.
    I think it is highly unlikely that Dayle Southwell will go out on loan unless we are able to sign another proven goalscorer.
    A fit Southwell will score goals and, apart from Akinfenwa, we are desperately short in that area whilst Kasket is injured. Dayle has been back in training for nearly a month now so I'm guessing he's only a week or two away from rejoining the squad.

• Tie up PCH on a permanent deal. Replace Pierre if he goes (loan signing) and I would add another attacking midfield option. Bloomfield is out for a few weeks and Southwell coming back into the squad will help.

Plenty of players who are in need of game time in that squad too.

• I'm yet to be convinced by Southwell at this level. Not seen much of him yet true, but it's a bold assertion that he'll score goals if fit.

• In fairness to Southwell, he was thrown into it when we were awful and weren't playing Akinfenwa much. I think his best chance of getting into form would be, like Kashket, alongside the big man.

And don't write him off yet - recall that Beavon was pretty dire for us for 18 months, and then out of nowhere, became the blitzen he was. There's still time - some bulking required though.

In terms of signings, cover at LB, more cover at CB, and a creative midfielder - Luke's passing talents are being wasted, I think, in this niggly, run-around role he's in at the moment.

• Don't understand why the clamour to replace Pierre? We already have his replacement in Muller and/or DeHavilland. Thought the idea of signing an injured but technichally good Muller was precisely that? He hasn't played a single league match so far so he is like a new signing for the 2nd half of the season.

• @prufrock_91 I couldn't agree more about Luke. I preferred his role last season, as a box-to-box dynamo. He's showing great ability as a defensive midfielder but I think that wastes some of his many talents. I'm convinced he would be a fantastic attacking midfielder, I'd love to see him play that role with Gape and Bean behind him. I was also under the impression when Gape signed that he was predominantly an attacking midfielder. Next season I'm quite excited by the prospect of a central midfield trio of O'Nien, Gape and Rowe in an interchanging triangle which would leave opposition teams flummoxed.

• @Chris said:
    I'm yet to be convinced by Southwell at this level. Not seen much of him yet true, but it's a bold assertion that he'll score goals if fit.

Dayle Southwell will score goals when he is fit.

• @aloysius said:
    prufrock_91 I couldn't agree more about Luke. I preferred his role last season, as a box-to-box dynamo. He's showing great ability as a defensive midfielder but I think that wastes some of his many talents. I'm convinced he would be a fantastic attacking midfielder, I'd love to see him play that role with Gape and Bean behind him. I was also under the impression when Gape signed that he was predominantly an attacking midfielder. Next season I'm quite excited by the prospect of a central midfield trio of O'Nien, Gape and Rowe in an interchanging triangle which would leave opposition teams flummoxed.

I'd also like to see Gape played as an attacking midfielder. That 30 yarder yesterday would have been a strong candidate for goal of the season if it had been a few inches lower.

• From the club website: In window 1 you have to sign Akinfenwa's head

• @LX1
    Very witty posts had me chuckling all afternoon

• spoiling a very good thread, and also very varied on what people think we need.
    I would suggest play offs should be the minimum we are looking at but I think 3rd place is up for grabs.

• LX1LX1
    edited January 2017

Spoiling a very good thread? Afraid knot

• Now then @LX1 no need to get crochet-y. Don't let him needle you.

• I see the hitch well half of one at least so as my granny used to say shanks but no shanks

• Good reef!

• This thread is getting itself in knots!

• We need more players don't want to slip down the table. Hope GA keeps us in the loop.

• He will be making a bowline for Brentford

• I wonder if billy knott is available