Skip to content

New Signing - Max Müller

Comments

• ps - Herzlich Willkommen Max!

• Here's an idea get player's of all nations like the premiership try to do, so you have eleven + players plus interpreters that would really give management reason to worry about cash flow and if it all went wrong they/we could then blame the foreigners!. Just a thought. hic oh my head hic

• Chris
    1:19PM Flag
    I think there is a clear distinction between footballing nationality and 'real' nationality. We all know Matt Phillips isn't Scottish, but in footballing terms he is. Yes, I'd be uncomfortable if people were saying Marcus Bean wasn't British, but that's a long way from what's happening here.

I can't think of a Wycombe fan that wouldn't have a good player at our club just based on their nationality. Once you're in the famous quarters, you're Wycombe and that's the end of it.

• Holland Gus Usembeck (or however it was spelt)

• I'd agree with that.

• Whilst Ikech Anya of course plays for Scotland, he was also eligible for Roumania, England and Nigeria. I doubt even Dev could name another ex Wycombe player who could have played for four countries!

• If Righty is making a genuine political point rather than just another failed attempt at moral superiority while resorting to implied personal abuse to cover up his lack of anything to say, he may want to reflect that one of the lessons of the depressing referendum campaign was that if we wish to gain acceptance for a multi-cultural society, we need to talk openly about race and nationality and demonstrate the benefits of that diversity. Once such minor benefit may be the surprising fact that players with nationalities of 32 different countries, with I suspect several more to come, have played for one small lower level suburban football club and been judged not on who their parents were but on their playing ability.

Make that 33 - Nigeria - Jordan Ibe.

• The mysterious Seb Svard-Cann - Danish

• I do find it absurd that in a post-Brexit world we should pretend everyone is the same nationality, or at best refuse to talk about nationality. A truly bizarre sentiment.

• Reece Styche - Gibraltar. May have already been identified.

• edited August 2016

Actually Mooneyman "even" Dev could think of loads - backalong any individual born abroad but naturalised to another country could choose whether to play for his "native " country or his naturalised country. In UK case as we have four international teams, he could choose any of England, Scotland, Wales or NI which with his native country makes five. The rules were tightened fairly recently.

"even Dev" would also spell Romania (formerly known in English as Rumania but never Roumania) correctly! Our French friends don't seem to be able to decide and call it Roumanie however. Justified personal abuse awaited in response!

Interesting re Anya though. For the record I believe Yennaris was also qualified for China.

• Shahed Ahmed - Bangladesh

• @bill_stickers Just expressing an opinion. Whilst it's great to know peoples background my default position is nationalityless as it's pretty much irelevant as you say.

My main point was around the constant derailing of threads for the original topic but I've not exactly helped that one have I?

• Dev I would suggest that you contact the Collins English dictionary as their 2014 edition quotes the spelling Roumania as an acceptable variant of Romania. They clearly don't possess your in depth knowledge!

• I bouw tou yor souperior knouwledge Mououneyman.

• @Right_in_the_Middle Haha I suppose not.

I'm no nationalist, but I still like talking about the differences between nations.

• That's a memory jogger. They were well regarded at the time and the first two, played in the 1948 FAAC Semi final at Brentford in 1948. Most teams around her at all levels had many Poles because so many former players were still away in the forces.

• edited August 2016

Vincent Fernandez, our finest Frenchman and who could forget sprinting machine Fola Onibuje of Nigeria!

• John Granville of Trini and Tobago.

• Anyone put Kevin Betsy and Mauritius?

• Seychelles wasn't it?

• Anton Vircvas (vick's house) Poland.
    Frustrated not being able to remember fully the creative midfielder Quarashi (? Farouk) someone mentioned above. Any offers?
    Meanwhile, back to the forgotten subject of this thread, many of the players have apparently been highly impressed by Max (prior to his unfortunate hamstring injury) and his ability to play in midfield as well as at the back is clearly a real bonus.

• On the Polish front, there is a couple of migrant Polish lads I have come across in the last year who are far to good to be playing minor league football. If we had any sort of scouting system/network they would be worth a look.

• I've checked out Q, and when he wasn't working for MI6, he turns out to be one Farouk Quraishi. Now this may or may not be the same Farouk Quraishi who went on to play for Tampa Bay Rowdies then took up senior administrative roles with them and in the US World Cup in 1994. No mention of a playing stint at WWFC on his WIKI or facebook page but this guy was English, was playing at the right time, went to Burnham Grammar school and lived in Slough, so reasonable bet that it is one and the same. In which case we have a candidate for Iran (not Iraq as previously mentioned - oops)

• I like the cosmopolitan mix and some of my favourite players came from across the sea Rogers, Sergio, and Sido happy days

• @ReadingMarginalista this is your time to shine son. You've been crying out for a 6ft 8 German to be translator for - expect to see you lurking in the shadows around the technical area sometime soon.

• I imagine Max Muller already speaks better English than many of our players and the vast majority of our fans!

• Going way back we had a reserve keeper called Gerhardt Trini . a German gentleman ,I believe ..,In the late 60s he played a couple of first team games. Was a teacher at RGS HW in the days when the players were part time of course.

• @peterparrotface German footballers who don't speak better English than most English players are very thin on the ground!

• @micra The moment he said "I'm the German Danny Rowe" he was a shoo-in to sign