Skip to content

New signing alert

Comments

• I think there may be something in this

One of the main Board Directors has just added Akinfenwa to his Twitter Account.

Make of that what you will.....

• I hope it's not true.

Would be a good commercial signing though.

• I really hope that GA has not wasted money on this kind of signing ...there has been lots of young,experienced strikers that are out of contract ...if we signed the "fridge" that would set us up for hoof football #nothanks

• What the hell is a "good commercial signing"?

• The kind of signing that might get people through the turnstiles, that might make us higher profile in the media. I think Akinfenwa would have the potential to do that, as well as offering something unique on the pitch. He would have to be carefully managed, sure, but I think he could be a great signing.

• Signing a player to give us a "higher profile in the media" would go against everything that Ainsworth has talked about since becoming manager. Shouldn't even come into the reckoning when resources are as scarce as ours are and have to be managed so carefully

I'm still saying it's bollocks

• @Chris Did you get to many games last season Chris? Genuinely interested as I know you're not living locally.

• Akinfenwa would be the worst signing since Trevor Aylott.

• The beast has signed .....

• @vital a handful of home games and all the vaguely northern away games. More than ten less than twenty in total.

Ainsworth must rate Akinfenwa as he hasn't designed a specific plan to counter many opposition forwards in the way he did against him with Peter Murphy a couple of years ago, at least that I've noticed. We've always dealt with him well, but he's a fun player to watch and after the end to last season that's got to be a positive.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Good authority of incoming. This one will divide the gasroom

If this is it - spot on! Well divided Gasroom I would imagine. I'm on the 'could be interesting - plan B' side of the fence

• Think we could well look back on this as the beginning of the end for Ainsworth

I hope I'm wrong

• ffs. I want my money back.

• Still shocked that GA has done this....and shocked in a bad way.. the oldest front line in league 2 history!!!

• Agree with @StrongestTeam not a fan but will back him, any sign of a goalkeeper?

• I love supporting this club they never fail to surprise me, gives a whole new meaning to 'impact sub'

• It's interesting. And last season was anything but. So looking on the positive,'that's a plus

• It had a wearying inevitability about it from the moment Wimbledon went up. Part of me wants to see Ainsworth play a 104yo strike force just for the shits and giggles. But mostly I have a horrible feeling we've just spent a big proportion of our wage budget on a novelty signing we'll never see for more than 15 minutes a game. If he finishes as anything other than the lowest-scoring of our four (five?) strikers I'll be amazed.

• I honestly can't think of a worse way to spend the money that supporters have scraped together to help this club. Except for maybe a pie hut.

Oh wait, now it all makes sense.

• Absolutely ridiculous signing. Has he got a 2 year contract as well..Dads Army of a strike force, and I'm not sure he will be Wycombised.

• 1 year. If it was two years he'd need to eat the hut too.

• To be fair, I don't think contributing towards the club via the share scheme or other methods should give you any say over who should or shouldn't be signed

That said, anyone who watched any Wycombe games from about Xmas onwards last season and came away thinking "what we need is Akinfenwa up front" is actually mental

• It could be a cunning plan to piss off the Facebook group

• @eric_plant I don't think it should give me a say, but I do think that money shouldn't be pissed up the wall on a signing like this.

• This stupid signing will come back to haunt Ainsworth, thank God it's a 1 year contract only

• Fan fucking tastic signing. does it upset the Facebook page..good

• I don't think it would've taken a huge chunk of our budget. The fact it's been lingering means I guess he didn't have many options

• @eric_plant said:
    I love Gareth Ainsworth, but it would make me seriously question his judgment

I'm fairly confident it is all bollocks

Oh dear!

• There's a couple of really slow old men and a guy with so many letters in his surname that we hope we'll make a load of money in shirt sales.