Skip to content

The Opposition View - Stevenage

Comments

• Usual bolloxs....They don't like us at all...

• Stevenage are the most horrific team around the last minute showed their true colours when instead of giving the ball back they kicked it as far out of play as they could. I hope they go down!

• i would have thought teddy would tell them to play a nicer style of football - but no - tackles flying in all over the place

• F**k you stevensge a shit team, ground and fans

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    F**k you stevensge a shit team, ground and fans

and we lost to them.

• Yes, we were poor today and offered little until the later stages of the game.
    Very disappointing; but, reading the comments of the Stevenage supporters, I felt a quiet sense of satisfaction. Following a club which stands for football which is diametrically opposed to them suits me. They are a nasty, violent, cynical, thuggish team who think the "studs up/elbow in the back of the neck" challenge is the sporting ideal.
    They have a crummy, inadequate ground located in the middle of a horrible system of dual carriageways and underpasses; and are supported by bunch of stupid, embittered inadequates who clearly think that time-wasting (after barely a quarter of the match) and booting the ball into the corner (as a means of returning the ball to the opposition) when most would simply knock it back to our keeper is the right way to play the game. I'm only surprised they didn't simply keep the ball or try a shot. If they don't like us - good. It means that we are nothing like them. Long may it remain so.

• I share your observations but we are a far better side when we play some football which has alluded us for awhile. We shouldn't be drawn into playing a hoof and then expect our forwards to chase lost cause most of the time. Let's get more width into our game plan and out pass and out class these donkey sides who kick crap out of us when we don't pass, move and give crap balls to each other. We are better than that.

Newport up next, who turned us over at AP let's bring the magic back on Tuesday and show them how we can really play. COYB's

• Something is seriously wrong with the coaching system when we persistently play hoof ball. I am also fast reaching the conclusion that the signing of Ugwu was a ghastly mistake-no wonder Yeovil released him. Even if we lose games I would prefer us to keep the ball on the ground -we look so much better when we do so.

• The reason we have the likes of Ugwu and other cast offs is that we cannot compete with other clubs in this Division in terms of paying wages. Any manager would find it near impossible to consistently make a silk purse out of a sows ear Hughie.

• I agree with @mooneyman about money for wages but the frustration is beginning to overtake the supporters not due to the wages and even the players but wr are making it impossible for even Harry Kane due to the way we are aimlessly hoofing at Ugwu...in my opinion Thompson was equally as bad until Harriman and Sellers gave us width on saturday and we could play to feet. Speaking to others saturday its the sheer frustration of not changing it when it isnt working. At 1.0 the crowd were desperate for subs. We left it too late again

• How can any Wycombe fan feel 'sheer frustration' about our team at the moment. We have over performed for a year and a bit on a shoe string budget and are currently picking up injuries and suspensions at a rate we managed to avoid last season. We've lost two games on the trot (don't try to include our neccesary JPT exit).
    At times this season we will go on losing runs. We are not yet a reliable top six team.
    'Sheer frustration' just smacks a bit to me as similar to a child stomping his feet when he doesn't get what he wants.

• Not at all...sheer frustration is a game by game event...as its in game and not an overall season. Yes we overachieve and we all know it but points are won game by game. Were you there on saturday? If you were you will understand.

• Agreed wycombelad . Were you the Mr Middle ?

• Ah. The old 'you weren't there so you don't know' debate. I wasn't at the game but I have seen a fair few games over the years so fully understand the emotions that can go on in the heat of the action.
    It seems to me recent successes have clouded peoples views on the current team. We have never been a play the ball on the floor side under Ainsworth. There have been times when we've earned the right to do that in matches but on the whole we are a channel running team with a focal target man. We play the percentages and have relied on our full backs to give us width. Of course making some changes when we are two down might indicate a better system but it doesn't always work like that.
    I still can't see how anyone get have 'sheer frustration' with the current plight but as you point out I wasn't there so I don't know. How rightious the go every game brigade can be. Wish I could join you.

• No not righteous at all... You are clearly a wind up merchant. The fact is after 45 mins everyone in the ground could see we needed to change.1.0 and the crowd chanying fot subs... Then bang 2.0, we finally change the way we play and lose 2.1. Changing earlier and we would of got at least a point and probably 3.
    Still we shouldnt get frustrated and strive to win games because we are overachievers isnt that right?

• @bourne70 Thought for a moment you meant "there, just as I thought" because the lack of a response suggested that RITM WASN'T there (don't know how to do italics!).
    I wasn't there so I can't comment on Saturday's game but I share the frustration over the persistent hoofball. I agree with Cider that we need width. Shame Woody has taken another knock. As I've said elsewhere, I think Max K will score a lot of goals in his new forward position and, from comments I've heard, he seemed to team up well with AAH.
    If we don't play it on that lovely deck tomorrow evening, even I will start to feel disgruntled!

• Don't take it to heart Righty. I go to every game but I tend to agree with you. We have, indeed, over performed on resources available. While current form is disappointing it does seem that the fine achievements of last season are raising expectations to unrealistic levels among many (most?) of our supporters. Although of course I do not relish it I feel that a poor run would bring about a much needed reality check. I expect torrents of abuse for this negative attitude.

• It's easy to argue from a counterfactual, imaginary 'if we had done this then this would have happened' - if we had changed at half time we might have lost 5-0.

How many times have we come back from being behind in this season and last? Without looking it up I'm going to speculate that it's better than the average team. If we had made changes at a different time in each of those games, we might have lost them.

Sometimes in football you win, sometimes you lose. There isn't a magic bullet solution*, otherwise it would be a very dull game.

*except the return of Paul Hayes.

• We haven't always played hoofball. This time last season our football was lovely to watch - Mawson playing the ball out of defence, Scowen distributing to PCH and Wood on the wings, Murphy running forward to support the front two, Hayes linking up the the attack. Then the pitch got bad, then Scowen left, now all of them have gone bar Hayes and Wood, neither of whom have played particularly well this season, when fit.

I think we may have to face facts here - we have a worse squad than last year (and that's before Yennaris and Saunders came in). Of the new signings only Harriman and O'Nien have consistently impressed, though Thomson has looked very good at times and I hope to see more of Sellers, starting tomorrow.

But I also think Ainsworth needs to have more confidence in the squad he has assembled. He brought them in to play football, on the ground; he brought them in to pass to feet and run with the ball. None of them seem to enjoy playing hoofball and it's not exactly doing us any favours either, given our losing run since going all-out long ball against Northampton. Let's get back to trusting our team against Newport - at least then if we lose it won't look as bloody awful as it has so far in October.

• Amazingly hostile comments from their fans.

I think this is just another case of a club trying to generate rivals, but nobody cares about them.

• @wycombelad When you say 'the crowd were chanting' do you really mean all the Wycombe support? I'm guessing it's just the normal few idiots and if so how disrespectful to the manager? I'm not going to comment on your 'everyone in the ground' remark as that is cleary nonsense whatever was happening.
    Also I'm not sure how you can tell the same improvement would have happened if the changes had happened earlier. We could just have easily have lost 5-0 with more width. You could argue Ainsworth almost got it spot on with the changes if we'd have had a little more luck in front of goal late on.
    Your last remark is a bit rich if you are calling me a wind up merchant too. All I ask is a bit of patience from the bunch of supporters who seem to think we should be playing champagne football and be top of the league. I want us to do well but have a bit of appreciation of the challenges we face in getting there. 'Frustration' and 'chanting for subs' are two things I just don't feel like doing.

• Im sure nobody expects champagne football but saturday was truely awful until we mafe subs. Anyone who can say different? No shots, no cohesion and aimless punting...hoofing at ugwu is making him look unfairly bad.

• Contrary to Aloysius post, out and out hoofball was played at Exeter and apparently ( didnt see that game) against Cambridge too. But we won those games so complaints were muted.

Hoofball is not a lot of fun to watch even when winning. When losing its dire, so I understand the negativity. Harsh reality though is that the team we support remains a small club with a small budget, believed by most to be in the bottom six in the league. If that is the case we must fairly expect to lose more games than we win.

Last season we over-achieved massively creating expectations amongst some that we should challenge for auto-promotion and at least make the play-offs. In all liklihood that will prove unrealistic. If we underachieve expectations, that is likely to create negativity and frustration. The first outlet for such frustrations are some poor player ( a new CF having to cope with hoofball is a perfect vctim) and the manager. We are starting to see just that and may well see more of it to come.

Both of course are unfair, especially criticism of the manager who has done an amazing job over the last 18 months. Sometimes in retrospect he will get it wrong, he is only human, sometimes he just knows more facts than the average fan (e.g. Harriman perhaps was only fit enough to play 20 mins Saturday) overall he should have built up enough credit to deserve a bit more resect and trust than he is currently getting. If Ainsworth is setting up in a certain way there is more than likely a pretty good reason for it.

• @wycombelad Obviously I can't comment on Saturday's game specifically but I think I might find it easier follow your argument if you spoke personally rather than on behalf of the entire fanbase as you have so far.
    You want one person who didn't see the game as you did? Read the managers post match comments to the press for a start.
    I'm more than happy for you to have whatever opinion you like. I can reason with that. I just don't see how you are the voice of the people all the time and use this to justify yourself as being right.

• Did not go on Saturday, listening on 3Cr instead. From the games I have seen I cannot understand why, after losing Wood and Hayes, we did not make better use of Sellars, Max and Banton (temperament in the case of the latter?) who all have a go when they come on and provide some width at least.
    Holloway seems a better ball player so I cannot understand why, if we need a big fella, it cannot be him. I too get frustrated at the lack of substitutions when the game is slipping away...but I did last year as well. Got to trust in Gaz.

• @ wendoverman has it spot on

• Over the years...Stevenage have been the very worst team for aggression and cheating I have ever had the misfortune to see play...

• Sellars is primarily a defender, Max primarily a CM, Banton was regarded as a big time charlie at Plymouth and appears not to have learned his lesson. GA is more aware than any supporter of Holloway's phyical condition and whether he is capable of starting. Nobody likes losing,least of all GA. He gets much more right than wrong.

• Sellars a defender, Dev? I thought he was described as a midfielder when he signed..when he comes on it is generally as a winger isn't it. Or is the formation so confusing my eyes have been deceiving me? And max is being touted as a 'forward' by GA...so cannot see why he cannot come on on right of midfield or as right ahnd side of front three. I am sure you are right about AAH, but he still looks a better bet up front to me.